Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

43 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Where did I say that they went bust due to supply side constraint??

I said The ones that go bust, are typically because they don't have the cashflow, to buy the next tranche of energy because the customers they acquired previously aren't profitable enough.

Well, you didn’t, but doesn’t seem odd that all these suppliers have gone bust, yet the big ones manage to survive and then rake in huge profits. Cmon, this is all a big stitch up to remove any competition.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Well, you didn’t, but doesn’t seem odd that all these suppliers have gone bust, yet the big ones manage to survive and then rake in huge profits. Cmon, this is all a big stitch up to remove any competition.

the biggest stich up, is that there is ZERO price cap on commercial rates.....   you wait to see the number of Small independent businesses that go to the wall in the next 2 years because if all of this. 

My parents have recently had to close their care home for adults with learning disabilities as the new energy costs were going to be £5000 per week. 

I read something earlier, where a local chippy had their energy costs going from £5,000 per annum, to £70,000 per annum. 

GB is going to hell in a handcart. 

Strap in, because it is going to be super ugly. 

all of these small businesses will need to raise prices to cope with the extra costs... or go bust.   either way... it doesn't look pretty for society in general. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Seems odd that all these suppliers went bust before any hint of a reduction in supplies.

1. Effortless – September 2020
  2. Tonik Energy – October 2020
  3. Yorkshire Energy – December 2020
  4. Simplicity Energy – January 2021
  5. Green Network Energy – January 2021
  6. Hub Energy – August 2021
  7. PfP Energy – September 2021
  8. MoneyPlus Energy – September 2021
  9. Utility Point – September 2021
  10. People’s Energy – September 2021
  11. Green - September 2021
  12. Avro Energy - September 2021
  13. Igloo Energy - September 2021
  14. Symbio Energy - September 2021
  15. ENSTROGA - September 2021
  16. Pure Planet - October 2021
  17. Colorado Energy - October 2021
  18. Daligas - October 2021
  19. GOTO Energy - October 2021
  20. Bluegreen Energy Services Limited - November 2021
  21. Omni Energy Limited - November 2021 
  22. MA Energy Limited - November 2021 
  23. Zebra Power Limited - November 2021
  24. Ampoweruk Ltd - November 2021
  25. CNG Energy - November 2021
  26. Neon Energy - November 2021
  27. Social Energy Supply - November 2021
  28. Bulb in 'special administration' meaning it will continue to operate as normal under its administrators - November 2021
  29. Entice Energy - November 2021
  30. Orbit Energy - November 2021
  31. Zog Energy - December 2021
  32. Together Energy and Bristol Energy - January 2022
  33. Whoop Energy and Xcel Power - February 2022

A further 19 have gone under since 2019:

1. GB Energy – November 2016
  2. Future Energy – January 2018
  3. National Gas and Power – July 2018
  4. Iresa – July 2018
  5. Gen4u – September 2018
  6. Usio Energy – October 2018
  7. Extra Energy – November 2018
  8. Spark Energy Supply Limited – November 2018
  9. OneSelect – December 2018
  10. Economy Energy – January 2019
  11. Our Power - 2019
  12. Brilliant Energy – March 2019
  13. Cardiff Energy Supply – August 2019
  14. Solarplicity – August 2019
  15. Eversmart – September 2019
  16. Rutherford Energy – October 2019
  17. Toto Energy – October 2019
  18. Breeze Energy – December 2019
  19. Gnergy – March 2020

I never knew there so many... no wonder they couldn't sustain themselves.

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

the biggest stich up, is that there is ZERO price cap on commercial rates.....   you wait to see the number of Small independent businesses that go to the wall in the next 2 years because if all of this. 

My parents have recently had to close their care home for adults with learning disabilities as the new energy costs were going to be £5000 per week. 

I read something earlier, where a local chippy had their energy costs going from £5,000 per annum, to £70,000 per annum. 

GB is going to hell in a handcart. 

Strap in, because it is going to be super ugly. 

all of these small businesses will need to raise prices to cope with the extra costs... or go bust.   either way... it doesn't look pretty for society in general. 

If true, that's a real perspective and a "stopping you in your tracks" statement. 150+% increase. So a tray of fish n chips currently costs £7:50 in my local chippie. Assuming they will pass on the 150+% increase, that's going to be over £18:50! :jawdrop:

47 minutes ago, Parafox said:

If true, that's a real perspective and a "stopping you in your tracks" statement. 150+% increase. So a tray of fish n chips currently costs £7:50 in my local chippie. Assuming they will pass on the 150+% increase, that's going to be over £18:50! :jawdrop:

Except for the fact that's only the increase in energy bills. Everything else is going up too so it's gonna go up more than that

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Surely no one will pay £18.50 for fish and chips, they’ll just price themselves out the market.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Surely no one will pay £18.50 for fish and chips, they’ll just price themselves out the market.

Of course they won't but  @Greg2607 said "I read something earlier, where a local chippy had their energy costs going from £5,000 per annum, to £70,000 per annum". Not sure where his information came from but it does seem extreme, :dunno:

Edited by Parafox

24 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Of course they won't but  @Greg2607 said "I read something earlier, where a local chippy had their energy costs going from £5,000 per annum, to £70,000 per annum". Not sure where his information came from but it does seem extreme, :dunno:

Fairs fair, I bet they weren’t complaining during the pandemic. The one near me had about 20 drivers out delivering all day long, they must have been raking it in. Top tip, never ask for fish and chips, always specify what fish you want ie cod haddock etc, cos you’ll get catfish.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Fairs fair, I bet they weren’t complaining during the pandemic. The one near me had about 20 drivers out delivering all day long, they must have been raking it in. Top tip, never ask for fish and chips, always specify what fish you want ie cod haddock etc, cos you’ll get catfish.

I would assume the chippie was paying the drivers. Was there any passing trade. Surely everyone states what sort of fish they want 

16 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I would assume the chippie was paying the drivers. Was there any passing trade. Surely everyone states what sort of fish they want 

In the lockdown we had. Nah, my father in law just says fish and chips. If your fish isn’t white and flakey, it ain’t cod.

52 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Would you like it if your employer wanted to give you an effective pay cut, completely change your working hours, wanted to introduce a one way “flexible” style of working that also reduced your additional earnings potential - and all the while the CEO’s communicate these “changes” with an undeserving smug look on his face? 

Thought not - so don’t piss on an a group of individuals right to stand up to corporate bullshit, because if an employer is allowed to get away with it in one area, you can bet your last £ that others will follow suit! 

Yep. It’s like the comments you see on Twitter from those against rail strikes. ‘I’ve not had a pay rise for 3 years so what gives you the right!!’ So our country is a race to the bottom now? Someone standing up for themselves is not on because you’re getting your anal cavity dissected on a daily basis? Ridiculous and disingenuous 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ajthefox said:

It's depressing how many people's reaction to a strike seems to be along the lines of "you lazy twat get back to work". 

We are being turned harder against each other, as if people who aren't willing to accept their employer shitting on them whilst they get away with increased profits are the bad people simply for not wanting their lives to get worse.

Even more depressing is how many people do not see the general trends of all of our services getting poorer and more expensive despite profits increasing. This government do not give a toss about anyone, they've been taking the piss for years and still are.

It’s depressing how people are prepared to cause loads of hardship and disruption to others. The railway unions are stuck in the 70s and will ultimately cause more damage to their members interests. People will be less likely to use the train or rely on it. Bit like the idiot miners union officials in the 80s, lions led by donkeys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claridge said:

It’s depressing how people are prepared to cause loads of hardship and disruption to others. The railway unions are stuck in the 70s and will ultimately cause more damage to their members interests. People will be less likely to use the train or rely on it. Bit like the idiot miners union officials in the 80s, lions led by donkeys

Old Scargill was right though wasn’t he, fight for your jobs or you’ll lose them. If the mines had been kept open we as a country would be making a fortune selling coal to Germany at the moment 

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Old Scargill was right though wasn’t he, fight for your jobs or you’ll lose them. If the mines had been kept open we as a country would be making a fortune selling coal to Germany at the moment 

It's true.

However, a fair bit of that profit might then have to instead be spent on NHS provision for vastly increased incidences of pollution-caused lung conditions and additional flood defences and drought relief for homes and arable land wrecked by increased carbon emissions and their consequences.

29 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Who would have thought austerity would have such a profound effect on the country! 

How did the U.K. do in the years 2012-2106 under austerity ?

I think the only way around this energy crisis is for govt to subsidise all of our bills (and hope that the energy companies are transparent and don’t just steal funds). I expect a way can be found to make it workable.  Once prices fall back to 2021 levels the subsidy can be removed. 

not sure what the answer is for commercial users though - that’s a massive problem re inflation and employment. 

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

It's true that in the 70s the unions got a little over-powerful and needed reining in a bit, but some reasonable negotiation could have soon sorted that out.

Instead, Thatcher saw union-bashing as something that could be presented in such a way as to get the public on her side at a time when she was deeply unpopular, and she launched herself into direct confrontation and provocation with the unions in a cynical attempt to achieve that.  This caused dangerous polarisation of opinion in the country and unseemly confrontation between the police and the union protesters.

I have a friend orinally from Doncaster who goes back there occasionally and he says that the town and environs have never recovered from the devastation caused during that period, and goodness knows how many other ex-mining communities have suffered the same fate.

On a personal note, I am lucky enough to be on a good pension as a result of the unions negotiating strongly on our behalf back in the 70s.  Strong, responsible unions are even more necessary in today's business climate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

You have fallen into the trap of blaming the Union and workers without any reference to the employers making vast profits or this idle government.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And adding to global warming 😂

14 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Forced to price themselves out of the market, different scenarios. 

One results in businesses going to the wall with thousands of jobs being lost and a recession, which is the one we'll be seeing in January. 

Enjoy your fish and chips now..... 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's true.

However, a fair bit of that profit might then have to instead be spent on NHS provision for vastly increased incidences of pollution-caused lung conditions and additional flood defences and drought relief for homes and arable land wrecked by increased carbon emissions and their consequences.

At least some the money would have come from profits on coal. Where is coming from now to fund the consequences you mention?

55 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's true.

Thing is though, in the 40 odd years since the mines closed and we produced our own power from coal, we could have developed more efficient power stations that captured the carbon emissions and possibly used them for producing hydrogen, who knows, without the problem there’s nothing to develop. Our country’s  wealth came from our resources, ingenuity and our industry, it’s just been one big fvck up from interfering leaders and governments infighting that’s left us in the sorry state we’re in.