Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I will lay claim to coining it. I started using it a few weeks ago to describe creatures like Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Sunak. People who were born into extreme wealth, have no understanding of what it means to live without wealth and crucially, actively make things worse for people poorer than them. If we've got Tory commentators saying it's wrong to "wealth shame" then I believe we absolutely should start wealth shaming the people who don't like that term.

Sunak was born into a middle class family, his parents were a GP and a pharmacist.

His wife was born into wealth.

20 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We have a weird society though where we glorify wealth supremacists - look at the current infatuation with Andrew Tate. 

TBH his view on money isn't even the most odious thing about him, his viewpoint on women and women's rights is that.

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

Sunak was born into a middle class family, his parents were a GP and a pharmacist.

His wife was born into wealth.

He went to a fee paying school so I'm including him.

It's mainly about the attitudes of these people and the values they keep. In which case Sunak is one of the worst.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

It's mainly about the attitudes of these people and the values they keep. In which case Sunak is one of the worst.

It's an interesting discussion.

Personally I think it goes a little deeper than that and goes back to that famous British pasttime of class distinction. Those like Sunak are class supremacists rather than wealth - the only difference now compared to the past is that money rather than the right family name can buy you a place in that class strata where you can look down your nose.

Poor ole Sir Keir’s plan to freeze the energy price cap by increasing and backdating the windfall tax on oil companies has received criticism from all sides. It would de incentivise North sea exploration and development at a time when we should be doing more. Cost as much as the furlough scheme, and in the medium term lead to even higher inflation. The crux of this on sky news just now. Typical labour, they really do believe money grows on trees. 
I think Sunak probably has the right idea by targeting help for the least well off this winter, as opposed to Truss’s blanket tax cut. 

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

TBH his view on money isn't even the most odious thing about him, his viewpoint on women and women's rights is that.

Theyre intrinsically linked. That's the kind of stuff he says in order to make money via his 'Hustlers university'

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Poor ole Sir Keir’s plan to freeze the energy price cap by increasing and backdating the windfall tax on oil companies has received criticism from all sides. It would de incentivise North sea exploration and development at a time when we should be doing more. Cost as much as the furlough scheme, and in the medium term lead to even higher inflation. The crux of this on sky news just now. Typical labour, they really do believe money grows on trees. 
I think Sunak probably has the right idea by targeting help for the least well off this winter, as opposed to Truss’s blanket tax cut. 

Not entirely sure pursuing the pathway of continued or increasing carbon emissions, even in an ostensibly good cause, is a particularly good idea IMO.

1 minute ago, foxes1988 said:

Theyre intrinsically linked. That's the kind of stuff he says in order to make money via his 'Hustlers university'

That's true enough.

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No doubt about it. His views on depression and mental health issues in general are terrible, too. I honestly don't understand why people like him or watch his content. 

Because unfortunately far too many blokes (often pushed by societal pressure) still equate masculinity with being toxically aggressive and domineering regardless of consent.

It's wrong, but then another sad part of that is such toxicity doesn't respond at all well to any conflicting viewpoints from other people.

30 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Are you including people that pay for private tuition or families that pay for private SEN school places?

Would you consider James O'Brien as a Wealth Supremacist?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

Are you including people that pay for private tuition or families that pay for private SEN school places?

Would you consider James O'Brien as a Wealth Supremacist?

Reread the second part of the post you quoted. It's about people who only value money and revel in removing other's access to it.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

Reread the second part of the post you quoted. It's about people who only value money and revel in removing other's access to it.

So nothing to do with their education then?

I could be wrong, but it feels like the sort of phrase you might throw at a politician in a party you don't like very much.

37 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

The economy is in such fine fettle under the Tories. 

34 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Sunak's ideas have already put millions more in poverty, he's already uturned over practically every policy, has written off billions in fraud because he either couldn't be arsed or it would expose his many failures in government. Truss will also make the situation worse. Both are complicit in this government's policies and cannot be trusted to handle the country's finances or anything else. Johnson is literally on holiday.

Starmer's policy isn't perfect but it's a step in the right direction. Brown's policies last week were the best IMO. Full nationalisation would be ideal.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

It's an interesting discussion.

Personally I think it goes a little deeper than that and goes back to that famous British pasttime of class distinction. Those like Sunak are class supremacists rather than wealth - the only difference now compared to the past is that money rather than the right family name can buy you a place in that class strata where you can look down your 

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

I haven't spent much time studying this but I presume whatever your DD is now for gas and electric you can multiply it by x1.8 come October. So if ts £200 a month that quickly turns into £360.Does the £400 just get taken off your bill in October? Sorry if these questions have been asked I just haven't been paying much attention to it, it's all over the media now so unavoidable. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I haven't spent much time studying this but I presume whatever your DD is now for gas and electric you can multiply it by x1.8 come October. So if ts £200 a month that quickly turns into £360.Does the £400 just get taken off your bill in October? Sorry if these questions have been asked I just haven't been paying much attention to it, it's all over the media now so unavoidable. 

I think the 400 quid is staggered over the autumn/winter months

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

It depends if you are on a fixed or variable deal currently.

If fixed no changed until your deal changes.

If its variable, it hasn't actually been confirmed what the new cap will be yet, 26th August I believe, but it is widely expected to increase 60% more than the current cap.

Therefore, if you are currently paying the market cap rate for gas (7p per unit with 27p standing/daily charge) and electric (28p per unit with 45p standing/daily charge), it is expected to increased as you have stated.

The £400 rebate will be paid in 6 installments starting in October (assuming you are not on a pre payment meter as I think they get vouchers from the Post Office instead).

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

The economy is in such fine fettle under the Tories. 

I think you believe Starmer &co have a magic wand. The mess we’re in is a result of the covid pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. All Starmer will or would have done is print even more money racking up more debt and stoking inflation even more. 

But a windfall tax is far from printing money?

It's redistributing money that already exists.

And it doesn't stop investment before you go down that route.

And even if it did, investment for private companies will only allow them to extract more resource and sell it for worldwide market rate which would do nothing to help anyone in the UK right now, or make things cheaper in future.

Edited by Towelie