Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

If the suppliers and retailers weren't recording record profits since the war began they'd have a leg to stand on but they dont. They've allowed rampant exploitation on their watch.

Of course, but that is the narrative being pushed anyway.

If these past few years have shown us anything, it's what people *believe* is sometimes more important than what actually *is*.

12 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not a measure of inflation but donuts in Morrisons were 55p for a pack of 5 in the spring and they are now 89p a packet, an increase of 62%. I only know this as they are right next to the meal deal section and I buy them from time to time. Disgraceful but good for the waistline.

I can carry on buying the doughnuts if I cancel my gym membership.....

i know exactly which choice i'm making!! i've only been to the gym once in the last 12 months. 

16 minutes ago, Dames said:

Most people in this country especially those over the age of 35 live in a sort of ignorance that as long as something doesn't affect them they won't be bothered by it. 

Now the effects of rampant capitalism under Conservative policies will directly affect them and make them substantially poorer they'll start questioning everything. 

The Conservatives can't blame leftie lawyers or woke civil servants for extortionate bills although I won't rule out them trying.

Apathy rules. I think this largely covers all age groups in this country. Even not all young people are that bothered until an issue hits them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Apathy rules. I think this largely covers all age groups in this country. Even not all young people are that bothered until an issue hits them.

Might have been the case years ago but a lot of people under the age of 25 have had their formative years formed by Austerity and Brexit. They wake up every day with less opportunities than the day before.

They will be desperate for a change. 

Just now, Daggers said:

I would bet every pound I have that the Tories will still oppose this until it is no longer a viable plan based on the fact that their Prime Minister in waiting fancies herself as Thatcher reincarnate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I think you believe Starmer &co have a magic wand. The mess we’re in is a result of the covid pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. All Starmer will or would have done is print even more money racking up more debt and stoking inflation even more. 

I'm not Labour die hard but this winter we'll be having people collecting stamps from the post office to top up their leccy meter. It's 2022. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dames said:

Most people in this country especially those over the age of 35 live in a sort of ignorance that as long as something doesn't affect them they won't be bothered by it. 

Now the effects of rampant capitalism under Conservative policies will directly affect them and make them substantially poorer they'll start questioning everything. 

The Conservatives can't blame leftie lawyers or woke civil servants for extortionate bills although I won't rule out them trying.

On the other hand, a lot of people over 35 look back to their childhoods when they didn't have central heating, foreign holidays, a washing machine and a car, and think they are better off than they were then.  Not, as many people seem to think, worse off because the Jones's have got even more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

He would have locked down earlier both in March 20 and August/Sept 20 which most veroligists were calling for and which would almost certainly have lead to fewer deaths and shorter lock downs.

Can you find any reference to Starmer (who wasn't Labour leader at the time) calling for lockdown before even SAGE called for it?  I can't.

I don't think anyone stuck their heads over the parapet to vote for lockdown when "the science" was not calling for it.  There were calls to stop sporting events, I remember, but SAGE disagreed.  Boris followed SAGE advice pretty closely.

24 minutes ago, Dames said:

Might have been the case years ago but a lot of people under the age of 25 have had their formative years formed by Austerity and Brexit. They wake up every day with less opportunities than the day before.

They will be desperate for a change. 

I agree partly. To give you an example. One big issue not addressed is social care for the elderly. This will be of main interest to the elderly or those with elderly parents. Younger people not affected directly so many of them won't give it much thought unless their own grandparents involved. 

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I agree partly. To give you an example. One big issue not addressed is social care for the elderly. This will be of main interest to the elderly or those with elderly parents. Younger people not affected directly so many of them won't give it much thought unless their own grandparents involved. 

The problem is that the same elderly have consistently in large numbers voted for Conservative Governments that have cut back on social care services.

Reap what you sow unfortunately.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

The problem is that the same elderly have consistently in large numbers voted for Conservative Governments that have cut back on social care services.

Reap what you sow unfortunately.

I think that our voting system is to blame for splitting the anti Tory vote. Lots of older people don't vote Tory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Of course, but that is the narrative being pushed anyway.

If these past few years have shown us anything, it's what people *believe* is sometimes more important than what actually *is*.

We’ve known that for at least millenniums. 

“What is truth?” - Pontius Pilate. 

7 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

How can companies posting record profits, nearing the 10s of billions, deprive every day people of quality of life, and what's worse how can people still be sticking up for it? It's immoral and should be illegal. Why is this 60% cap increase a thing this year, has it always been a thing? Energy bills have never, ever skyrocketed like this before, so why now when everything is so tight for 80%+ of the population. It is unquestionably immoral but should also be unquestionably illegal. Look at what the French are doing. And they're doing it because they know full well if they didn't every motorway and port would be blocked until something was done. But here we just go along with plunging generations in to poverty so a small handful of businesses and elite scumbags can afford a few new boats and planes. It's beyond comprehension. 

I’m 50/50 now as to whether there will be large scale social unrest in this country from 1 jan onwards. You are right, in france this situation would’ve been lit up a long time ago 

44 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

On the other hand, a lot of people over 35 look back to their childhoods when they didn't have central heating, foreign holidays, a washing machine and a car, and think they are better off than they were then.  Not, as many people seem to think, worse off because the Jones's have got even more.

You're right. When I was a kid under a Harold Wilson then Michael Foot or Jim Callaghan government, can't remember now they changed that oftenlol we had one Parkray coke burner thing which was the only heat source in the house. Frost on the inside of the upstairs windows wasn't uncommon in winter. Mind you that probably wouldn't happen nowadays because of climate changelol 

2 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

You're right. When I was a kid under a Harold Wilson then Michael Foot or Jim Callaghan government, can't remember now they changed that oftenlol we had one Parkray coke burner thing which was the only heat source in the house. Frost on the inside of the upstairs windows wasn't uncommon in winter. Mind you that probably wouldn't happen nowadays because of climate changelol 

The good old days :nigel:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

There was never a Michael Foot government. Don't forget the Tory government of Ted Heath