Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

On 16/08/2022 at 10:17, Foxdiamond said:

Some people don't earn enough to have savings and live from one payday to the next but this does not mean they are living the life of riley

I'm sorry but thats b*llshit - anyone can save money - whether its £5 or £500 a month, some just choose not too. ''I can't save money whilst standing outside a pub smoking'' being an example.

7 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'm sorry but thats b*llshit - anyone can save money - whether its £5 or £500 a month, some just choose not too. ''I can't save money whilst standing outside a pub smoking'' being an example.

Some people literally don't earn enough to even cover their bills, especially at the minute, higher fuel, higher food costs, higher elec & gas, higher rent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Some people literally don't earn enough to even cover their bills, especially at the minute, higher fuel, higher food costs, higher elec & gas, higher rent.

I was talking in the context of pre cost of living crisis, which mean people would have more to lean on during the current crisis. 

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Even prior to the 'cost of living crisis' though, saving up £20 or whatever a month isn't a lot, it only takes something like your car needing 2 new tyres to **** you up.

I do agree that some people don't help themselves, I've watched these tv programmes where they claim they have zero money but smoke 20 a day. Alternatively I've got mates who can afford to come out for a beer twice a year and the only hobby they have is going to the gym (so £25) a month, it's hardly the life of riley.

Yep, few years ago the fca research came out with 25% of adults have less the £100 savings.

a) despite what the daily telegraph and free view channel 646857 say, they’re not all bashing it on gambling and McDonald’s 

b) if you’re in that 25%, that’s gone within about two weeks of these mad increases 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

So that covers everybody because you've see people smoking outside a pub or somewhere else.  How do you what disposal income people have

52 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

So that covers everybody because you've see people smoking outside a pub or somewhere else.  How do you what disposal income people have

Can you translate that for me. I put ''as an example'' at the end of my point :blink: 

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

image.jpeg.389d3e40b42b0a8bf07fc59db94b1371.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Can you translate that for me. I put ''as an example'' at the end of my point :blink: 

You have stated anyone can save and one example of people wasting money on smoking outside the pub. This disregards others  who may not fall into the category. Not balanced.  People may have to buy new school uniform or shoes for the kids or they some other expense that gobbles up their money on a regular basis without much for luxuries. They are not asking for pity but just getting by. 

51 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Just had this from British Gas. Useful to know, even if their expression of sympathy at the current climate was not as well received. Screenshot_20220817-153802_Gmail.thumb.jpg.aace2a7f30be45b33d7baa0ebc1aa155.jpg

These payments are made directly to the energy suppliers I believe.  Otherwise, if it ends up in people's accounts, it'll just end up getting lost and spent elsewhere like the £150 earlier in the year.

Truss's tax cuts and energy levy idea will make a huge difference next April.  Massive.  Really helpful.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

38 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

You have stated anyone can save and one example of people wasting money on smoking outside the pub. This disregards others  who may not fall into the category. Not balanced.  People may have to buy new school uniform or shoes for the kids or they some other expense that gobbles up their money on a regular basis without much for luxuries. They are not asking for pity but just getting by. 

Classic Tory/middle class trope though innit. I can save money, and only people who spunk their money on ciggys/alcohol/drugs/Netflix can't save money. 

It's completely detached from reality and is a lazy, sweeping statement on those who genuinely struggle. Part of me thinks it's a projection to try and ignore the scale of the problem.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Classic Tory/middle class trope though innit. I can save money, and only people who spunk their money on ciggys/alcohol/drugs/Netflix can't save money. 

It's completely detached from reality and is a lazy, sweeping statement on those who genuinely struggle. Part of me thinks it's a projection to try and ignore the scale of the problem.

Up there with "you can't be in poverty you've got a plasma tv and an iPhone 4". Yeah Sandra well maybe the plasma telly is a knock off and the phone's a handmedown and perhaps I'm logged into my ex's Netflix still.

This sort of attitude towards the poor has been around for years. It's like you shouldn't be allowed any luxuries in life.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Up there with "you can't be in poverty you've got a plasma tv and an iPhone 4". Yeah Sandra well maybe the plasma telly is a knock off and the phone's a handmedown and perhaps I'm logged into my ex's Netflix still.

This sort of attitude towards the poor has been around for years. It's like you shouldn't be allowed any luxuries in life.

A few would no doubt like to see the return of the workhouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I do recall north Braunstone being referred to as resembling Jodrell Bank back in the late 80s. Every other house had a satellite dish.

I certainly couldn't afford Sky or BSB then.

Curious thing was; it was also rated as being in the top 5 poorest estates in the UK at the time.

I have no agenda here, other than recalling a situation. In fact, fwiw, I married a Braunie. Still didnt get Sky though.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I do recall north Braunstone being referred to as resembling Jodrell Bank back in the late 80s. Every other house had a satellite dish.

Curious thing was; it was also rated as being in the top 5 poorest estates in the UK at the time.

I have no agenda here, other than recalling a situation. In fact, fwiw, I married a Braunie. Still didnt get Sky though.

Always been incredibly easy to get pay tv illegitimately and affordably. These days having every channel in the world will cost you £50 a year, and you don’t need to stick a dish outside your home 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Always been incredibly easy to get pay tv illegitimately and affordably. These days having every channel in the world will cost you £50 a year, and you don’t need to stick a dish outside your home 

My dad could afford Sky but always refused to buy it out of general principle. He came home once with a sky dish saying someone at work was getting rid of it. Literally the only time he'd use it was to tune it to the German F1 coverage so that he could switch over when ITV went to an advert break. 

The loveable thrifty prat

• Haha 3

Just now, Wymsey said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really feel comfortable in getting free money?

Only because I think the energy companies shouldn’t be getting the money at all, should just be capped again and told to get on with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Just had this from British Gas. Useful to know, even if their expression of sympathy at the current climate was not as well received. Screenshot_20220817-153802_Gmail.thumb.jpg.aace2a7f30be45b33d7baa0ebc1aa155.jpg

Complete waste of money. Surely we can use that money better.what difference is 66 quid going to be when your bill has gone up 300 quid.