Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

23 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I’ve used the latest UI calculator to approximate the income for his mythical family.  The figures are accurate. 

My point remains, on that level of income they would be wholly unable to fund the lifestyle he claims - which was the point of my original response, not to argue that there aren’t those who choose not to work. 

Anyone claiming people on benefits alone can afford luxury lifestyles are lying and regurgitating Daily Express/Mail BS. 

I’ve not mentioned that people are ‘better off in work’ - and resent and reject you calling me naive based on a claim I’ve not made.

Unfortunately,  your calculations have missed many figures.

These people don't rent from private landlords for a start. So that's hundreds of pounds freed up straight away.

I raised a factual point,  which I can confirm first hand on numerous occasions. You have replied with a ignorant and inaccurate response which is embarrassingly naive and written in such a way that seems you just want to start an argument.

It depends what you class as a life of luxury. I don't class living in a small council house, with peeling wallpaper and exposed floor boards as luxury.

Don't get me wrong, some people find themselves in the position whereby they need financial support, I am all for that, but unfortunately the system is severely abused.

Anyway, it is what it is, we'll agree to disagree and hopefully you'll never have to step too far into the real world.

• Like 3

I’ve got family members who have barely worked a day in their lives who have claimed all sorts of disabilities for their children. The exact same thing is now happening with their children. I wouldn’t call their lifestyle luxurious, but I’d say it’s fairly carefree and covered by the state. Always got their kids in the best chavy designer gear too.

I’m a big believer in tax avoidance being a bigger problem than people living off the state as above, but it is frustrating that people manage a steady life without the need to work. That said, there is a ceiling to how well you can do with taking off the state and it’s no life for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

But your point is incorrect. People do live this kind of lifestyle on benefits, I've seen it, I know people who do. I called you naive because you told the poster that these people don't exist, and told him to 'man up and admit he is wrong'.

He isn't wrong, they do exist.

Oh and I don't read any UK daily press, so you're incorrect about that too.

3 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Unfortunately,  your calculations have missed many figures.

These people don't rent from private landlords for a start. So that's hundreds of pounds freed up straight away.

I raised a factual point,  which I can confirm first hand on numerous occasions. You have replied with a ignorant and inaccurate response which is embarrassingly naive and written in such a way that seems you just want to start an argument.

It depends what you class as a life of luxury. I don't class living in a small council house, with peeling wallpaper and exposed floor boards as luxury.

Don't get me wrong, some people find themselves in the position whereby they need financial support, I am all for that, but unfortunately the system is severely abused.

Anyway, it is what it is, we'll agree to disagree and hopefully you'll never have to step too far into the real world.

Apologies, but I wasn't aware that the plural of anecdotes was data.

Of course, this is a discussion on social sciences where often conclusive data is difficult to... well, be conclusive, but tbh I'm not getting the certainty from either side of the argument here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

But your point is incorrect. People do live this kind of lifestyle on benefits, I've seen it, I know people who do. I called you naive because you told the poster that these people don't exist, and told him to 'man up and admit he is wrong'.

He isn't wrong, they do exist.

Oh and I don't read any UK daily press, so you're incorrect about that too.

You’re telling me someone can live on benefits and bedeck their 5-child family in designer clothes?

Put down the sangria, you’ve had enough.

3 hours ago, Trumpet said:

I’ve got family members who have barely worked a day in their lives who have claimed all sorts of disabilities for their children. The exact same thing is now happening with their children. I wouldn’t call their lifestyle luxurious, but I’d say it’s fairly carefree and covered by the state. Always got their kids in the best chavy designer gear too.

I’m a big believer in tax avoidance being a bigger problem than people living off the state as above, but it is frustrating that people manage a steady life without the need to work. That said, there is a ceiling to how well you can do with taking off the state and it’s no life for me.

I agree with everything you say, so easy people to claim disability now days, and if you don’t have role models as parents it filters down, are large proportion of these people are just dam lazy, very irritating, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daggers said:

You’re telling me someone can live on benefits and bedeck their 5-child family in designer clothes?

I don't drink sangria lol It's not just me telling you either, there are other posters in this thread who have said the same.

Nobody is saying that everyone on benefits lives like this. Some people might remember me talking on here about my benefits woes many years ago, and I felt like I didn't have 2 pennies to rub together! I know as well as anyone that not everyone can live a designer lifestyle on benefits.

I was the 800 pounds a month private tenant you mentioned earlier until a few years ago, a single mum working part time, then full time, with three children, getting child tax credits as a top up, and it was difficult. I still had to run my car for work, pay for school lunches, school trips, and I think I had to pay my full council tax bill. No way was I buying designer anything, although I did still find the money for my ST :ph34r:

People not working and claiming the 1700 odd we talked about last night though will have a higher disposable income after you take into account the additional help they get, if they are paying council rent which is around half of the private sector cost, getting their council tax bill reduced by two thirds and not having to pay for things like school lunches, trips, or a commute to work.  Somebody earning a similar amount but owning their own home will possibly have even higher outgoings once you factor in the extra cost of home insurance, life insurance for their mortgage and maintaining their home, depending on their mortgage payment.

So yes, there are people who clad their children in designer clothes whilst on benefits, like I've already said, I know some, although I can't be sure they're not fake :dunno: Just because people don't know anyone like this doesn't mean they don't exist, as other posters here have attested to.

• Thanks 1

I work for a large housing association, shocks me every day, how people on benefits seem able to afford so much. Not all obviously, but having a decent phone, clothes and the money to be pissed or stoned half the day is very common. I would never donate to a foodbank because of what I see everyday at work,no problem with benefits for those that need them , but the system is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Claridge said:

I work for a large housing association, shocks me every day, how people on benefits seem able to afford so much. Not all obviously, but having a decent phone, clothes and the money to be pissed or stoned half the day is very common. I would never donate to a foodbank because of what I see everyday at work,no problem with benefits for those that need them , but the system is ridiculous. 

True but re the discussion above, surely the majority of these ‘designer clothes’ are knock offs? The amount of road men you see in Canada goose jackets, no chance they can all smash a grand on a coat. Likewise Leeds type ‘football fans’ cannot afford a £300 stone island jumper.  Also it probably takes about a fiver to get pissed with the 9% polish lager/50% vodka from off licences 

20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

True but re the discussion above, surely the majority of these ‘designer clothes’ are knock offs? The amount of road men you see in Canada goose jackets, no chance they can all smash a grand on a coat. Likewise Leeds type ‘football fans’ cannot afford a £300 stone island jumper.  Also it probably takes about a fiver to get pissed with the 9% polish lager/50% vodka from off licences 

you are assuming they don't have additional nefarious means of generating cash..... I would wager that lots of them are either doing jobs on the side for cash... or selling some items that may support people's weekend nights... 

4 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

you are assuming they don't have additional nefarious means of generating cash..... I would wager that lots of them are either doing jobs on the side for cash... or selling some items that may support people's weekend nights... 

I was going to say maybe they’re nicking the goods or doing significant cash based business, so yeh glad you said it for me 

• Like 1

I've never bothered before but starting to take advantage of some of these current account switching bonuses. Just applied for a First Direct switch (gets £175 in a month if you meet the criteria), after I get that, and providing it's still available, Santander offer £160 for a switch, then Halifax for £150. Should at least offset the bloody energy bill difference for the rest of the year

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Christ.

Thank **** my bird is moving into mine in October, paying a mortgage on my place and rent on hers is absolutely draining our resources. We'll be so much better off in a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 00:25, Daggers said:

These stereotypes have been around for 15-20 years. They were a myth when the right wing press started them in the mid noughties and they are even more of a myth now. 

• Haha 1