Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 hour ago, jerry said:

Thing is unlike the present " woke " generation we didn't winge and accepted the situation. Look around the world my friend and see how fortunate you have been in the past and make the most of the future whatever it becomes.

No whinging that is fanciful. Heard considerable mutterings from pensioners, who have had literally everything handed to them in the post industrial boom, that the incredibly generous triple lock pension isn’t actually generous enough and they should go on strike. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobHawk said:

I honestly think riots are on the way. 

The real pain that will hit October 1st is still just words. When the reality sets in, and people are living the new reality, I think those in the most deprived areas will have their backs against the wall and won't know where else to go. 

For me that only leads to civil unrest and if the government continue to be so absolutely useless I do not blame them one bit. 

What's most interesting is how the upper working class and middle class react, because with interest rates flying up as I well I can see some pretty well off people being unable to afford their homes anymore. 

Many many many businesses are preparing for wide scale social disorder on Jan 1 onwards. We are a meek, controlled and timid nation but even most brits would rather die fighting than on their knees 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Get to bollocks pal. If you don't think successive generations should have it better than you did then you're fvcking warped. That's how the progression of humanity as a species should work. If you want to remember how shite things were then piss off to a Wartime Weekend or the Black Country Living Museum. Leave the rest of us to enjoy our lives in peace as best we can..

Isn't it astonishing how this gang of creatures seem to think everything was at its best in "their" day. The fifties is perfect because they lived in it. But why not go back to oil lamps, children on workhouses and cholera from standpipes in the street? Wasn't it better back then as well?

The hysterical jealousy from older people is insane and only goes to exacerbate the problem because there's more of them than ever, meaning politicians pander to them ever more.A desperation to drag us back to days of yore just through nostalgia, rather than progression.

Of course, I'm sure @jerry is standing up to his days of nostalgia by living with no central heating, planning to use one coal fire in the living room a paraffin heater in the bathroom, shopping daily and only watching a black and white TV (eventually.) He's surely not sitting comfortably in his nice house and judging others by standards by which he wouldn't possibly live by, surely? Tell us Jerry, you wouldn't possibly do that?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Many many many businesses are preparing for wide scale social disorder on Jan 1 onwards. We are a meek, controlled and timid nation but even most brits would rather die fighting than on their knees 

100% British are timid. Until the lid finally blows off. There won't be much of London left standing when it does. Especially when there is exactly zero hope of things getting better anytime soon. We made it through all the lock down bullshit knowing it had to end eventually. No one knows when the hell this crap will end, if it ever will. 

• Thanks 1

I think more targeted help will come for the vast majority of those who need it when parliament resumes and that this will be in place before the rates rise in October. Its terrible timing for MPs to be off and to have no real decision making in government. The lack of clarity for such a serious issue is poor.

I look at part of this energy crisis with a slightly alternative view. Outside of those with special circumstances, modern reliance on central heating is a little OTT - its not really necessary to heat all the space in our homes. For us, we are trying a practical approach to energy this winter. Could just about afford the rises but I refuse to pay it now. We will be using suitable clothing (thermals, mid layer, socks etc.), close contact heat sources (hot water bottles, blankets, microwave bears for kids), sealing gaps in windows and doors, when its really cold use an oil radiator to heat one room, etc. Do we want to do this, not really. Does the sacrifice provide a large enough financial saving for only minor inconveniences, I believe it does.

The biggest problem is staving off the supply side inflation driven significantly by energy prices - for that there is no short term fix for any one country. Only demand falling off across the whole economy as prices rise will do much to stop that. Even then, they will probably not allow any kind of wholescale deflation. In the end I think a big recession is looking pretty likely. 

8 minutes ago, adam said:

It shouldn't be like this though should it. One of the richest countries in the world and we're all sat about in thermals while watching a bit of tele after a hard day at work. 

The country is completely broken. We pay some of the highest tax in the world and the majority are struggling and none of the public services work. Complete shambles.

The crisis is of course a major worry. I am not tight but I don't waste energy if I can help it. I will wear jumpers, turn off lights when leaving a room not have radiators on all over the house all the time. Apart from the cost to us all we should preserve energy for sake of the environment. I am conscious that when my grandchildren visit then we need to make sure they are warm.  Just to emphasise this does not belittle the state we are in as a country

• Like 1

We're just talking about personal bills here, what about businesses? Is your hairdresser going to be able to afford his utility bills quadrupling? That would mean my haircut would probably end up doubling. Takeaways? A Chinese would end up being £60.

Once buisnesses start to close down and unemployment starts to rise, that's when shit will really hit the fan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Reading about these energy price hikes, you can easily understand why Wes is holding out for another big move and pay rise.

His agent probably can't afford to boil a kettle currently.

A kettle?!? Who is this fancy Dan??? I’m on one cup of tea a day, water boiled on the hob, same tea bag used two days In a row 

No, sorry, this is getting ridiculous. If this is the case then the government have to step in and take all the profit away from the retailers or the producers and give it to the consumers. Every penny above whatever they made in the last quarter before this kicked off. Desperate times call for desperate measures. You can shout wOuLd YoU nAtIoNaLiSe sAuSaGeS all you want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

No whinging that is fanciful. Heard considerable mutterings from pensioners, who have had literally everything handed to them in the post industrial boom, that the incredibly generous triple lock pension isn’t actually generous enough and they should go on strike. 

Maybe these pensioners should cancel their Netflix subscriptions. I'm told that fixes all your macro economic problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We're just talking about personal bills here, what about businesses? Is your hairdresser going to be able to afford his utility bills quadrupling? That would mean my haircut would probably end up doubling. Takeaways? A Chinese would end up being £60.

Once buisnesses start to close down and unemployment starts to rise, that's when shit will really hit the fan.

This is a much bigger issue than personal energy bills and it's not being spoken about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

No, sorry, this is getting ridiculous. If this is the case then the government have to step in and take all the profit away from the retailers or the producers and give it to the consumers. Every penny above whatever they made in the last quarter before this kicked off. Desperate times call for desperate measures. You can shout wOuLd YoU nAtIoNaLiSe sAuSaGeS all you want.

Martin Lewis was doing the rounds and saying the price cap is based on a publicly available alogirthm based on a specific measure of wholesale gas prices which is also publicly available.  These predictions will be, frighteningly, accurate.

Edited by Zear0

25 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They're announcing a new price 'cap' every 5 minutes lol what's the point?

it used to be every six months but the idea is that it is now 3 months so that when wholesale prices begin to drop, we don’t have to wait six months for our bills to begin to drop 

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

if they’re allowed to make max 1.9% profit, how much lower do you think your bill will be if they make no profit ?  

the solution here is only for govt to pick up the tab (that means all of us indirectly over the next few decades via taxes ) 

there is no magic wand to wave 

that’s what europe is doing 

There are assumptions being made on the future price of gas in the cap and if large scale intervention is made, actual losses of the energy companies need to be covered rather than theoretical 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenny said:

This is a much bigger issue than personal energy bills and it's not being spoken about.

Yep. It certainly seems to be being overlooked.

Additionally, this has been said before but it will be said again: the present time in terms of strain on natural resources is very small beer compared to how it could be a few decades down the line if changes aren't made, so if that current strain is causing this much trouble now I dread to think what it will be like if and when the Earth starts putting on some *real* pressure.

5 minutes ago, kenny said:

It’s not really bigger but is as big.  Chat about removing vat is not going to touch the sides and business’ that are vat registered would save nothing 

again, only mass govt subsidies will save business. 

but then how many business’ can be trusted to use energy carefully - eg.  how many retailers had their doors stuck open spewing out air conditioned cold air into the street over the past couple months ? 

why should we be expected to all pay for that kind of waste ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I've put this in here because I feel the points this chap makes are jointly responsible along with the Russian invasion for the mess we're in now which is going to get worse before getting better.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1562823407938437120?s=20&t=hFSg3CTNWwTHFKGIj4xf-Q

Dangerous revisionist filth from genuinely sinister liars. 

• Like 3