Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Dangerous revisionist filth from genuinely sinister liars. 

Wait until the talking heads at GB News actually cotton onto the fact that the scientific consensus does actually work and the laws of thermodynamics (and more accurately the consequences they cause) cannot actually be denied.

Prices go up, demand falls, businesses close, big recession. Subsequently, energy demand drops as energy supplies start to increase (takes a long time) bringing the price down. Its not quite that simple but thats supply and demand forces - similar to cheap petrol in 2020 when demand crashed. Mass handouts just add to the long term problem by burdening society with more taxes and less disposable income.

At some point I think we will have to accept the recession we are in and the negatives it brings, in my opinion this does not include entertaining riots and not paying for things as a protest. We do at the moment after all have very low unemployment in an economy propped up by money printing for 15 years. They said after 2008 the next crash would be far worse because we bailed everyone out then. This might be it...

That said, a windfall tax isn't the best for businesses but it appears minor in the face of the current problem. Even though we are raiding our own pensions by taxing these energy producers, might be better to take the short term win this time around. We could certainly create more nuclear/renewable energy in the medium to long term to reduce reliance on them.

Surely governments subsidising our bills is just licence for gas producers to put their prices up even more?

If people literally can't pay, then they will have to drop their prices. 

It's supply and demand. Reduce the demand, watch prices drop. But if the government subsidises too much, then demand will remain and we will get into a vicious circle.

Obviously, you have to balance this against pensioners and the infirm freezing to death in winter.... maybe we should start charging BP and the like with mass manslaughter? If only...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Braunstone Support! said:

Prices go up, demand falls, businesses close, big recession. Subsequently, energy demand drops as energy supplies start to increase (takes a long time) bringing the price down. Its not quite that simple but thats supply and demand forces - similar to cheap petrol in 2020 when demand crashed. Mass handouts just add to the long term problem by burdening society with more taxes and less disposable income.

At some point I think we will have to accept the recession we are in and the negatives it brings, in my opinion this does not include entertaining riots and not paying for things as a protest. We do at the moment after all have very low unemployment in an economy propped up by money printing for 15 years. They said after 2008 the next crash would be far worse because we bailed everyone out then. This might be it...

That said, a windfall tax isn't the best for businesses but it appears minor in the face of the current problem. Even though we are raiding our own pensions by taxing these energy producers, might be better to take the short term win this time around. We could certainly create more nuclear/renewable energy in the medium to long term to reduce reliance on them.

The UK should be doing that anyway as a means to avoid much, much higher costs in wealth and lives in the future.

In fact, it should have been doing it twenty years ago, but now will have to do.

47 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not really bigger but is as big.  Chat about removing vat is not going to touch the sides and business’ that are vat registered would save nothing 

again, only mass govt subsidies will save business. 

but then how many business’ can be trusted to use energy carefully - eg.  how many retailers had their doors stuck open spewing out air conditioned cold air into the street over the past couple months ? 

why should we be expected to all pay for that kind of waste ? 

You can apply the same attitude to people and their energy use. Many will do all they can to minimise use and others will have the heating on in August.

Paying bills will be much more difficult if businesses start with redundancies or worse going out of business.

Unfortunately, helping businesses isn't much of a vote winner so will take a back seat to the support for people. I am sure that the current support package isn't the end of what is coming from the government despite what Liz Truss is saying.

I had someone ask me for an advance in the last recession. 

When I asked why, she said it was to pay her energy bills. I obliged and sorted it with HR. 

They then posted pictures of them getting smashed on MySpace. 

Some people don’t help themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sly said:

When I asked why, she said it was to pay her energy bills. I obliged and sorted it with HR. 

Woman in "wanting to enjoy a night out amidst financial crisis" scandal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

Good time to start drinking tbf

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Get to bollocks pal. If you don't think successive generations should have it better than you did then you're fvcking warped. That's how the progression of humanity as a species should work. If you want to remember how shite things were then piss off to a Wartime Weekend or the Black Country Living Museum. Leave the rest of us to enjoy our lives in peace as best we can..

Your uneducated reply shows how far humans have regressed over the years. What a pleasant individual and symptomatic of today's society. Enjoy your new stone age coming 😊

1 minute ago, jerry said:

Your uneducated reply shows how far humans have regressed over the years. What a pleasant individual and symptomatic of today's society. Enjoy your new stone age coming 😊

I've heard of the Black Country Living Museum so I can't be that thick.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jerry said:

:dunno: With all due respect, that doesn't have to happen unless people let it happen.

And I for one will do my best to make sure those people and their legacy are recorded in the most ignominious infamy for what is left of posterity if it does.

8 minutes ago, Braunstone Support! said:

Do you think these might just be damp squib protests that will result in people struggling even more financially long term when their credit rating is in tatters...? 

I think they're just the start, we're about to see civil unrest beyond some people's comprehension this winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Braunstone Support! said:

Do you think these might just be damp squib protests that will result in people struggling even more financially long term when their credit rating is in tatters...? 

27 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think they're just the start, we're about to see civil unrest beyond some people's comprehension this winter.

Agree with urban spaceman. People really don’t understand how bad it’s going to get, not just energy price wise. I don’t think most will give two hoots about their credit rating when they can’t afford to do anything, 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Isn't it astonishing how this gang of creatures seem to think everything was at its best in "their" day. The fifties is perfect because they lived in it. But why not go back to oil lamps, children on workhouses and cholera from standpipes in the street? Wasn't it better back then as well?

The hysterical jealousy from older people is insane and only goes to exacerbate the problem because there's more of them than ever, meaning politicians pander to them ever more.A desperation to drag us back to days of yore just through nostalgia, rather than progression.

Of course, I'm sure @jerry is standing up to his days of nostalgia by living with no central heating, planning to use one coal fire in the living room a paraffin heater in the bathroom, shopping daily and only watching a black and white TV (eventually.) He's surely not sitting comfortably in his nice house and judging others by standards by which he wouldn't possibly live by, surely? Tell us Jerry, you wouldn't possibly do that?

Things were actually better at the end of the 70's beginning of the 80's, there were no fat birds for a start, and no mobile phones so you could get away with stuff without some cvnt videoing you.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Nadhim Zahawi advising the public to cut back on energy usage. Could we not get into politics and claim the costs on expenses, like he did for his wife’s livery business? Blokes a weasel.

Really comforting words for people who need to actually use energy to live. Someone needs to bankrupt these *****. 

• Like 2

It's a perfect storm, inflation continues to soar and businesses will be forced to close increasing unemployment. 

All of these things will only put further burden on the welfare system, NHS and will reduce taxes too. 

Not doing anything still costs a shit load of money but the poorest in society suffer needlessly and potentially even die. 

I'm more in support of the government stepping in and taking a financial hit for this than I was for furlough.