Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

So sad for small companies like this. 
From what I’ve heard today about 75% of pubs will go to the wall in the next few months so I’d guess about the same amount of small companies too. 
This is going to be a recession on a scale never seen before if nothing is done and from the sound of it the next PM isn’t going to do a lot , maybe a cut in VAT which won’t be enough. 
This Zombie government is walking in to a modern disaster. 

Cost of living crisis is solely down to Putins invasion of Ukraine according to some Tory mp on talk radio this morning! Wouldn’t accept that they have basically done nothing for 12 years of power, no power stations, no reservoirs, nothing to protect the country against crisis. They’ve successfully managed to take us out of the eu though, so we can set our own laws!!! Big Fvckin deal

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Soup said:

This is an absolute scandal and should not be allowed to happen. 

Saw a comment of a bakery whose bill has been quoted going up from £19k to £102k a year. Something like £10 for a sourdough, and coffee shops needing to charge £18 for a coffee to break even.

This is just the start. Small businesses go up in smoke. Pubs, restaurants, corner shops, cafes. Livelihoods completely ruined because they can't afford to function. Never mind those who can't pay their bills and have to choose between eating and warmth for their families.

You'd like to think there will be universal outrage over this, that something must be done, or needs to be done. We seem to be weeks away from the destruction of small businesses, business owners, homeowners and small income families. This isn't scaremongering, these are business owners showing real quotes, real people showing real quotes for heating their home.

We've discussed before about people cutting back already in preparation for this, already doing damage to the economy as people save in the hope they can cover the cost. Let's see how it pans out. It's a while away yet but I'd be interested to see the Black Friday and Christmas spending numbers this year.

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Saw a comment of a bakery whose bill has been quoted going up from £19k to £102k a year. Something like £10 for a sourdough, and coffee shops needing to charge £18 for a coffee to break even.

This is just the start. Small businesses go up in smoke. Pubs, restaurants, corner shops, cafes. Livelihoods completely ruined because they can't afford to function. Never mind those who can't pay their bills and have to choose between eating and warmth for their families.

You'd like to think there will be universal outrage over this, that something must be done, or needs to be done. We seem to be weeks away from the destruction of small businesses, business owners, homeowners and small income families. This isn't scaremongering, these are business owners showing real quotes, real people showing real quotes for heating their home.

We've discussed before about people cutting back already in preparation for this, already doing damage to the economy as people save in the hope they can cover the cost. Let's see how it pans out. It's a while away yet but I'd be interested to see the Black Friday and Christmas spending numbers this year.

The picture you're painting is frightening. How anyone could give a toss about a football club sacking or not sacking a manager is beyond me. 

Over covid like a lot of people I tried to help out independent business the best I could, but like you say this time it won't be possible. 

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Cost of living crisis is solely down to Putins invasion of Ukraine according to some Tory mp on talk radio this morning! Wouldn’t accept that they have basically done nothing for 12 years of power, no power stations, no reservoirs, nothing to protect the country against crisis. They’ve successfully managed to take us out of the eu though, so we can set our own laws!!! Big Fvckin deal

They have built quite a lot of wind power plants quite quickly to be fair but it hasn't been enough quickly enough.  The power gap from nuclear has been known about for decades yet we havent done enough as a country to sort this is Labours fault too.  Natural Gas has been relied on way too much starting in the early 90's.  Energy policy in this country has been terrible in this country for years from both Labour and Tories.

What I do blame mainly the Tories for is the terrible state of the economy (it was before this crisis aswell) and therefore the zero wage growth for the last 14 years which means people cannot absorb almost any of the additional costs from this inflation.

24 minutes ago, Soup said:

The picture you're painting is frightening. How anyone could give a toss about a football club sacking or not sacking a manager is beyond me. 

Over covid like a lot of people I tried to help out independent business the best I could, but like you say this time it won't be possible. 

That's an intolerant view.  People need their outlets and distractions even more in the testing times that we see unravelling.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Unfortunately people won’t wake up until their local chippy, cafe and pub is gone. When you have Liz Truss telling the public that we’re talking ourselves into a recession and we can hope our way out of it, we’re completely doomed. 

33 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

The government advisors MUST be telling them we're facing complete collapse. It just doesn't make sense that they're being so ignorant of such a major breakdown, easily the worst in anyone's lifetime. 

Maybe they don’t tell the government, maybe the system is the same as Russia and everyone tells their boss what they want to hear, and creams off a bit of the dosh 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deep blue said:

That's an intolerant view.  People need their outlets and distractions even more in the testing times that we see unravelling.

If we were going out if business then I'd agree but we're not. The players are still running on the pitch every week. If you think that us winning a few more games and playing a better style of football is distracting you from the bigger picture then I honestly give in. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Soup said:

If we were going out if business then I'd agree but we're not. The players are still running on the pitch every week. If you think that us winning a few more games and playing a better style of football is distracting you from the bigger picture then I honestly give in. 

Yeah, fvck the football, let’s all top ourselves

Drastic long term solution....

Nationalise the energy market (or an equivalent solution) with immediate subsidy/cap for homes and businesses paid for by something like: 5-10p on both top rates of income tax, no cap on full NICs, maybe windfall taxes until 2030 too and why not cancel HS2 even though its pocket money. Progressive taxation is really the only way to raise enough to pay for the majority of this if its the chosen route, could be implemented by October and have long term energy security as its end goal... I know we are highly taxed already, but I cant think of a solution where solving all the current issues (including health/social care etc.) begins with spending less short term. Only if real progress is made medium-long term can you start potentially spending less.

I know, no political party would ever implement the above, but maybe a gamble by a big party at this moment would work for them long term. That said, I believe that both major parties have no realistic chance of meaningful reform to be any good at reforming the country overall.

Something like a national protest vote for the Lib Dems for the next 4-5 general elections could create some real long term change. People have the power to do something like this and it would be extremely powerful. Maybe we will have found the collective will to follow through with it by this time next year if things do go south fast. Maybe I am a just fantasist...

I am just so angry at the negligence of this government. All that money spent on furlough during lockdown to keep businesses going, and it seems for many small businesses it's all going to have been in vain. I am not pretending there will be easy solutions, but we need strong leadership right now and clear direction for how we are going to navigate this as a country. 

6 minutes ago, Braunstone Support! said:

Drastic long term solution....

Nationalise the energy market (or an equivalent solution) with immediate subsidy/cap for homes and businesses paid for by something like: 5-10p on both top rates of income tax, no cap on full NICs, maybe windfall taxes until 2030 too and why not cancel HS2 even though its pocket money. Progressive taxation is really the only way to raise enough to pay for the majority of this if its the chosen route, could be implemented by October and have long term energy security as its end goal... I know we are highly taxed already, but I cant think of a solution where solving all the current issues (including health/social care etc.) begins with spending less short term. Only if real progress is made medium-long term can you start potentially spending less.

I know, no political party would ever implement the above, but maybe a gamble by a big party at this moment would work for them long term. That said, I believe that both major parties have no realistic chance of meaningful reform to be any good at reforming the country overall.

Something like a national protest vote for the Lib Dems for the next 4-5 general elections could create some real long term change. People have the power to do something like this and it would be extremely powerful. Maybe we will have found the collective will to follow through with it by this time next year if things do go south fast. Maybe I am a just fantasist...

Or, get rid of populist governments and stick someone like Adrian newey in charge. Someone who can actually solve problems and is not too worried about upsetting a few people 

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

The government advisors MUST be telling them we're facing complete collapse. It just doesn't make sense that they're being so ignorant of such a major breakdown, easily the worst in anyone's lifetime. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if not. They are totally detached. It’s like when people say ‘well anyone can be PM!!’ We are literally seeing what happens when any old pig sh1t thick, below average IQ, arrogant, lazy, selfish oaf who has no intellect whatsoever becomes PM. Total disaster

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

They're such hard workers too. I'm a carer too for a young man with autism and I've been kicked, bitten, punched, slapped, screamed at and threatened over the years (though the absolute worst abuse I've suffered is being forced to listen to S Club 7). Proper carers go through this every single day and still turn up to earn a pittance. Some of the people who brag about "working hard" wouldn't last a day in a care home. You're right that society should value these roles, and I think many people do, but unfortunately we have a 'class' of people in charge who only value the small bits of coloured paper and how much of it they can hoard for themselves. 

For once I wholeheartedly agree with you. My elderly mum is in care, so I've seen first hand what carers have to do and deal with. They are undervalued there is no doubt about it. 

• Haha 1

So far the solutions are to put Red Bulls tecnhical director in charge of the country and increase the higher rate income tax (we are at the highest level of taxation already and have been for some time) plus everyone has been sh@gged by the NI increase, some more than others. May aswell give everyone an equal wage in 2022, there is no incentive to earn good money anymore. 

• Like 1

I've described it a couple of times in this thread as us being close to being a failed state and that this is going to be far far worse than most people imagine.... You are all starting to realise why now... 

You are witnessing the collapse of the UK. 

I know it sounds alarmist, but there is no easy way out of this. 

Personally, I think this makes Covid and 2008 look like child's play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

So far the solutions are to put Red Bulls tecnhical director in charge of the country and increase the higher rate income tax (we are at the highest level of taxation already and have been for some time) plus everyone has been sh@gged by the NI increase, some more than others. May aswell give everyone an equal wage in 2022, there is no incentive to earn good money anymore. 

Well there is. You going to become a zero hours worker with Amazon or the like getting utterly buttfu3ked? 

55 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

increase the higher rate income tax (we are at the highest level of taxation already

have i misunderstood this?

Top rate taxation was as much as 90% prior to the 70s...

edit... better graph here...

OECD%2Bhigh%2Btax%2Brates.JPG

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1