Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

have i misunderstood this?

Top rate taxation was as much as 90% prior to the 70s...

Top rate taxation was 98% under Denis Healey's time as Chancellor.  It certainly mean that anyone thinking of starting a business and making big money would think again.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Top rate taxation was 98% under Denis Healey's time as Chancellor.  It certainly mean that anyone thinking of starting a business and making big money would think again.

Much like the current cafe's that will not exist because this corrupt incompetent and criminal government is owned by the rich and very rich.

The UK is on the brink of collapse if nothing is done.

Nationalising the energy providers and major profit making companies is the only viable option

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

All that I'm hearing here makes me wonder if coming back to the UK with grad degree in hand next year is actually a good idea... or even a viable one in terms of getting off the ground with decent work and onto the property ladder.

Lol. Why on earth would you COME to the UK during this period, other than for family or other much more important reasons of course. Im not joking, my industry benefits from getting high calibre seasoned employees from around the world, this has dried up completely over the last few months and we have started programs attracting UK students/grads etc to try and fill the gap over the next few years. People are smart and the world is small, there is literally no reason to move to the UK, atleast for the next few years and its not that hard to figure that out.

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’m no expert, but it’s probably best not to make any decisions based on what you read on here…

Fair to say.

However, even utilising more "official" sources of news, is there many reasons to be optimistic and/or doubt the anecdotes here?

Additionally, I fear that what is happening now will be merely the tip of the iceberg - though that might be a global problem rather than one limited to the UK.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Fair to say.

However, even utilising more "official" sources of news, is there many reasons to be optimistic and/or doubt the anecdotes here?

Additionally, I fear that what is happening now will be merely the tip of the iceberg - though that might be a global problem rather than one limited to the UK.

Well it’s not as apocalyptic as some one here would have you believe. 

Some posters seem to have their heads wedged so far up their own arses they find it difficult to communicate effectively. 

You’re a smart bloke, I’m sure you'll make a decision that’s right for you. 

Edited by Milo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Milo said:

Well it’s not as apocalyptic as some one here would have you believe. 

Some posters seem to have their heads wedged so far up their own arses they find it difficult to communicate effectively. 

You’re a smart bloke, I’m sure make a decision that’s right for you. 

Only in certain ways, and smart enough to know at least some of my own limitations.

57 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

All that I'm hearing here makes me wonder if coming back to the UK with grad degree in hand next year is actually a good idea... or even a viable one in terms of getting off the ground with decent work and onto the property ladder.

The UK wouldn't be anywhere on my list of places to move to at present, never mind trying to get on the property ladder. 

• Like 1

Honestly, stay away. This is a sinking ship.

• Like 1

Do you speak any other languages?

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Lol. Why on earth would you COME to the UK during this period, other than for family or other much more important reasons of course. Im not joking, my industry benefits from getting high calibre seasoned employees from around the world, this has dried up completely over the last few months and we have started programs attracting UK students/grads etc to try and fill the gap over the next few years. People are smart and the world is small, there is literally no reason to move to the UK, atleast for the next few years and its not that hard to figure that out.

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The UK wouldn't be anywhere on my list of places to move to at present, never mind trying to get on the property ladder. 

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Honestly, stay away. This is a sinking ship.

Duly noted.

1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

Do you speak any other languages?

Not fluently, but a couple in a rough and ready fashion.

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

We are getting more applications from non UK graduates than we ever had while in the EU.

30 minutes ago, kenny said:

We are getting more applications from non UK graduates than we ever had while in the EU.

What industry do you work in mate? And what kind of applications? Experienced hires or recently graduated? We still get recently graduated but it’s not really what we want 

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

What industry do you work in mate? And what kind of applications? Experienced hires or recently graduated? We still get recently graduated but it’s not really what we want 

Construction.

Mostly grads that have been educated here.

But plenty of experienced applications via LinkedIn. Still getting loads from Greece, their economy is still the pits and there are loads of well educated employees looking for work. We only really count UK experience in our line of work, so it doesn't help but our graduate positions are filled with foreign staff now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Surely charging an electric car isn't far away from being considered a more expensive option than filling up a car with fuel either?  

A chap I know has an electric which was costing 14 quid to charge up and he could get 220 miles to a charge in the summer but only 110 miles in the winter, something to do with how batteries charge and what you’ve got switched on. I worked out that was roughly, at 7 quid a gallon, 110mpg and 55mpg. So if electricity price doubles, which for now it has, thats 55mpg and 28mpg. If it doubles again, correct me if I’m wrong,  I think that works out to be either 27mpg and 14mpg or 13mpg and 7mpg. Someone must know. Thinking further, this may be the actual reason behind energy prices, if we’re all gonna have to switch over to electric cars by 2030, maybe the governments have realised it can’t be done due to the shear size of the infrastructure required, so they’re making it more expensive, by a long way, to actually charge an electric car than to run a combustion engine car, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kenny said:

Construction.

Mostly grads that have been educated here.

But plenty of experienced applications via LinkedIn. Still getting loads from Greece, their economy is still the pits and there are loads of well educated employees looking for work. We only really count UK experience in our line of work, so it doesn't help but our graduate positions are filled with foreign staff now.

That’s interesting and good to know. Almost the opposite in our industry. A contact at another firm was p1ssing himself the other day about how they managed to ‘lure’ someone here from wellington

36 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Surely charging an electric car isn't far away from being considered a more expensive option than filling up a car with fuel either?  

I bet it is using some of the public chargers. I expect that was always the plan. 

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Yet you continue to support a political party whose policies not just don’t respect these values but rather the opposite - bit by bit removing support from people like your mum and the carers she needs. 

Well in her/our case all I can say is, she is being cared for very well. The NHS did their best I believe. And for the past 3 weeks she has been placed in a really nice care home at the behest of our Tory run council, who,over the next fortnight will assess whether she’ll be able to manage at home or not. Either way they will support her. This is an independent care home and her funding is being paid for by our council, for which we are all grateful.