Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

32 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Our rescue service has had more than 500 animals through so far this year (usually around 450 for a full year) This includes those that are being abandoned due to financial reasons, but even more due to people being unable to rent with pets... Add to that, climate change has meant that this year, there has NOT been an "off season" for kittens.

Usually the weather prevents cats from breeding during winter, this year, we were still getting litters at the height of winter and we are now already hitting huge numbers of the spring season.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Our rescue service has had more than 500 animals through so far this year (usually around 450 for a full year) This includes those that are being abandoned due to financial reasons, but even more due to people being unable to rent with pets... Add to that, climate change has meant that this year, there has NOT been an "off season" for kittens.

Usually the weather prevents cats from breeding during winter, this year, we were still getting litters at the height of winter and we are now already hitting huge numbers of the spring season.

I loathe cats. In fact, I feel so strongly about how I would dispose of all cats that I worry there’s a part of me that is Tory, such is its cold hearted viciousness.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I loathe cats. In fact, I feel so strongly about how I would dispose of all cats that I worry there’s a part of me that is Tory, such is its cold hearted viciousness.

I feel the same way about dogs, evil vicious scumbags that will bite you for fun and then run around telling all their mates about it at the top of their voice, all while their owners sup a venti GTF and stroke their beards and tell their friends how expensive their deformed pug was.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I feel the same way about dogs, evil vicious scumbags that will bite you for fun and then run around telling all their mates about it at the top of their voice, all while their owners sup a venti GTF and stroke their beards and tell their friends how expensive their deformed pug was.

Pugs aren’t dogs, they are a form of cat.

• Haha 2

On 23/09/2022 at 20:06, chapero82 said:

People are predicting that the housing market will crash 40% do you guy think this will happen?

Nothing like this predicted in any of the property industry literature I regularly read. 

A lot of talk about prices not increasing dramatically. 

Definitely hope there isn't a significant drop, as hoping to sell early next year. 

56 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Nothing like this predicted in any of the property industry literature I regularly read. 

Definitely hope there isn't a significant drop, as hoping to sell early next year. 

Are you trading up or down?

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

Supermarkets have enlisted staff to protect expensive cuts of meat due to increased shoplifting sparked by the cost-of-living crisis

metro.co.uk/2022/09/11/meat-monitors-guarding-expensive-cuts-in-supermarkets-after-surge-in-thefts-17352010/

People who are starving don't care whether they are stealing expensive food or cheap food. They just want food. If expensive cuts are being targeted, it's because people are greedy and think the consequences of being caught are small enough to risk. 

15 hours ago, Daggers said:

Until you have one.

I had never had a cat in my life until we moved to the wilds of outer Cambridgeshire (I'm talking deep like near Wisbech and Downham Market loike) and a shrew ran over herself's foot. The following day I was in a pub somewhere near Oundle and the landlord was about drown a kitten. I took him home and he protected us from vicious wood pigeons and other such vermin. He ruled the roost until Judy our young black lab got a hold of him by the scruff of the neck and shook him like a rag doll. They are all brown bread now but I loved my one cat among the two black labs, one springer, one chessy and two beagles.

On 23/09/2022 at 20:06, chapero82 said:

People are predicting that the housing market will crash 40% do you guy think this will happen?

About as much chance as us beating Forest. 

Can see a small drop, 10% or so, but not much more than that. Even if there was a 40% drop, where does that take us back to, 2012/2013 prices or something? 

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

Supermarkets have enlisted staff to protect expensive cuts of meat due to increased shoplifting sparked by the cost-of-living crisis

metro.co.uk/2022/09/11/meat-monitors-guarding-expensive-cuts-in-supermarkets-after-surge-in-thefts-17352010/

Imagine being told that your job involves protecting meat from theft, you are expected to risk your health and physical wellbeing, for a few extra $ in the billionaire owners pockets.

If i was a retail worker and someone walks out with a rump up their jumper... im not getting in their way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

I was in a pub somewhere near Oundle and the landlord was about drown a kitten. I took him home and he protected us from vicious wood pigeons and other such vermin.

You can’t just take pub landlords off the street. Still, that explains why The Ship unexpectedly closed for a while, I guess.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Imagine being told that your job involves protecting meat from theft, you are expected to risk your health and physical wellbeing, for a few extra $ in the billionaire owners pockets.

If i was a retail worker and someone walks out with a rump up their jumper... im not getting in their way.

Used to work at Sainsburys on Humberstone Gate as a Saturday job, that was way more risky  lol

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Selling up already mate?

Surely the more incentives that get pumped in to keep the property market inflated the worse the drop will be. 

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

When did you buy your BTL?

Not worth the hassle then? Few lads I know have done well over the years, but one has been burned during COVID, tenant refused to pay for 18 months and he couldn't do anything about it.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Selling up already mate?

Surely the more incentives that get pumped in to keep the property market inflated the worse the drop will be. 

58 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not worth the hassle then? Few lads I know have done well over the years, but one has been burned during COVID, tenant refused to pay for 18 months and he couldn't do anything about it.

Selling one property, bought in 2016, and it's not been any hassle, same tenants since purchase, who are as good as gold. There are some horror stories about, though. We rented out our house in Leicestershire when we first left for Ireland, those tenants turned into a nightmare and the agent was shocking. Which lead to selling up and buying rental properties there, as property is a lot less expensive in NI, which we managed ourselves.  But the plan was always to liquidate an asset after a few years, once retirement beckoned for the OH. With Covid closing our main business and the cost of living going up, it makes sense to sell one now and enjoy the money.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You make very little from the rent assuming you have a mortgage. You make your money by the property values going up.

Its not like 15 years ago where your rents were supplementing your income, particularly since the government changed the tax rules which didn't effect wealthy cash buyers.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kenny said:

You make very little from the rent assuming you have a mortgage. You make your money by the property values going up.

Its not like 15 years ago where your rents were supplementing your income, particularly since the government changed the tax rules which didn't effect wealthy cash buyers.

Definitely more risky and less profitable than it was some years ago, if you're buying property personally with a BTL mortgage. It certainly needs to be a long term plan. And you need to remember the Capital Gains Tax on the profit you do make. I'm not sure if that would be for me, that is risk and hassle territory.

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Definitely more risky and less profitable than it was some years ago, if you're buying property personally with a BTL mortgage. It certainly needs to be a long term plan. And you need to remember the Capital Gains Tax on the profit you do make. I'm not sure if that would be for me, that is risk and hassle territory.

You are correct. 

The way some people view it is that you invest £50k deposit to buy a £200k house. The rent covers the mortgage, tax and maintenance.

It has gone up 10% in the past months so you have a 20% return on the investment which is massive.