Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 hour ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Our monthly DD to British Gas has gone from £105 to £405. We haven't even put the heating on this year yet. 

Cannot afford that, is it wise to cancel the DD and pay for what you use?  I can put say £200 a month to the side, but can't pay £405 a month. 

100% get in touch with them. No way are you paying 4 times as much as now. At worst it should go to £130-140. I pay £165 at the moment for a 4 bed, 2 adults, 2 kids, probably fairly sensible electricity usage like yourself. No sign of an increase yet, Octopus said they will keep it as is and monitor. Also about £500 in credit on top. So you should be paying less than we are for sure.

35 minutes ago, Rain King said:

My gas/electric went down yesterday from £143 p/m to £120 p/m.

I am £260 in credit and give meter readings every month but I fully expect to get another email next month saying it's gone up to a stupid amount.

I've just had my bill, £61 - but that's the first with the £66 automatic credit (from the £400 grant) and the October cap will kick in next month. So from next month it'll be about 25% higher, then from March it'll be that figure +£66

I'm £530 in credit and now the October price cap is going to be manageable I might contact EOn to claim most of that back

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

In credit on my gas and electric by £400, the company will only allow me to take £100 of that back and have now informed me my monthly DD needs to go up.

Bunch of scammers.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/claim-back-credit/claim-back-credit-from-your-energy-supplier/

Apparently they must give you a reason if they refuse to give you the total credit back. My guess is it's to safeguard themselves against bankruptcy, but I don't understand why they'd ever "need" more than 1 month's worth of credit - surely if you don't pay they can just cut you off and keep the credit?

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/claim-back-credit/claim-back-credit-from-your-energy-supplier/

Apparently they must give you a reason if they refuse to give you the total credit back. My guess is it's to safeguard themselves against bankruptcy, but I don't understand why they'd ever "need" more than 1 month's worth of credit - surely if you don't pay they can just cut you off and keep the credit?

It’s a strange one, my usage historically has been high but not at them levels, every chance it could be in a month when my car arrives though.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a strange one, my usage historically has been high but not at them levels, every chance it could be in a month when my car arrives though.

Ahh you getting an electric car? If so yeah you might as well leave the credit in there (unless you need the money back now)

49 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Ahh you getting an electric car? If so yeah you might as well leave the credit in there (unless you need the money back now)

Yeah. Will switch to their EV tariff but I’ve forecasted it could be up to £400 a month! Scandalous, frantically getting quotes for solar as we speak because I could finance that for less and then in 6 years be better off.

• Like 1

Our 4 month power bill (May - sept) was £66 lol. I submit readings every month and we use barely anything (I doubt anyone uses as little power as we do) but that was a pleasant surprise. I imagine it takes into account the rebate. We have some credit in the account which will need to be cleared soon as we’re moving out 

45 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Our 4 month power bill (May - sept) was £66 lol. I submit readings every month and we use barely anything (I doubt anyone uses as little power as we do) but that was a pleasant surprise. I imagine it takes into account the rebate. We have some credit in the account which will need to be cleared soon as we’re moving out 

£66 for 4 months?!  Do you live in a Amish settlement? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Honestly I have no idea. But not gonna complain! Both of us work out of the house most of the week, finish late ish, shower at the gym, out at weekends. No heating on in that period. Guess it adds up! 

Surely the standing charge is more than £66

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Are all of your appliances plugged into your neighbour's supply?

11 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Are all of your appliances plugged into your neighbour's supply?

Actually it’s 3 months, May - aug. Funnily enough when I lived in east London the f4cker next door switched our meters around, so I was submitting readings for his family of 3 and him for a single mid 20s man who’s barely in. When I caught him out they moved out of the flat 

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I got a ****ing bill for £600 today. No idea how I’m racking up that much use. Can confirm cold beans on raw toast is a miserable experience. 

That’s what living next door to @grobyfox1990 does for you…

..seriously though, hasn’t the £400 kicked in so it should be reducing not going up!

• Haha 1