Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

5 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Going to buy an oil radiator for the bedroom so it's toast when going to bed. 

Log burner on downstairs and selected heat in one room upstairs seems like a more cost effective measure for the time being until it get's really cold. 

Electric blanket. I know they're a bit associated with your Granny, but very effective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenny said:

Wetherspoons will be a dying brand as with most pubs.

The younger generation spend less time in pubs and drink less generally. Particularly pubs like Wetherspoons that have no 'entertainment' or immersive experience attached to them.

I can see Spoons being gone as a brand within 10-15 years as its clients die or get older and aren't replaced with young people.

I’m biased as I love spoons and have been to 200+, but they are bouncing in random towns. I was in Lancaster spoons yday and it was choc-a. This is a Tuesday outside of term time remember. Once students are back it will be rammed 24/7. Go to a random spoons like Batley tonight and the till will be ringing. Lie Ryanair, spoons will be around forever 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Electric blanket. I know they're a bit associated with your Granny, but very effective.

had one for years under our bed sheet.... i'm 40 going on 80, but it's lovely in the winter to take that chill off the sheets in a cold bedroom. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

had one for years under our bed sheet.... i'm 40 going on 80, but it's lovely in the winter to take that chill off the sheets in a cold bedroom. 

Been training for this crisis for years. Can only go to sleep with freezing cold pillows and sheets. Window open all through winter. Always wake up and turn my pillow over if it gets too warm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Been training for this crisis for years. Can only go to sleep with freezing cold pillows and sheets. Window open all through winter. Always wake up and turn my pillow over if it gets too warm.

weirdly, I sleep with a window open..... but HATE it when the sheets are that cold that they sting when you first get in to bed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Going to buy an oil radiator for the bedroom so it's toast when going to bed. 

Log burner on downstairs and selected heat in one room upstairs seems like a more cost effective measure for the time being until it get's really cold. 

I'm sure you will, but do some research before you buy one. We bought two last winter, one for our bedroom and one for my office. Neither seemed to make any difference whatsoever! The radiators themselves seem to get quite hot, but don't warm the room up. Similar to our log burner which warms the room up, but nowhere else I'm the house.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

We love ours and wouldn't be without it now. I don't like a warm bedroom, and sleep with the window open pretty much whatever the weather, but the electric blanket on before you get into bed makes all the difference.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm sure you will, but do some research before you buy one. We bought two last winter, one for our bedroom and one for my office. Neither seemed to make any difference whatsoever! The radiators themselves seem to get quite hot, but don't warm the room up. Similar to our log burner which warms the room up, but nowhere else I'm the house.

I think the configuration of your house is a significant factor in the efficiency of the log burner. We had one at our old house, which was L shaped and primarily single storey. The log burner was at one end, in a single storey section. That room was like a furnace after a couple of hours, but the heat didn't transmit to anywhere else. Our friend had a more traditional square, double storey house with a fire in the centre, and it did an excellent job of warming an adjacent room and upstairs for them.

Chaps... put in a meter reading NOW.

OH, and make it just a little bit higher than it should be so you pay the cheaper rate a bit longer.

Is it fraud?  Yes.  BUT seriously, do you think "they" will care.

Just don't take the piss and they won't even notice

17 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Chaps... put in a meter reading NOW.

OH, and make it just a little bit higher than it should be so you pay the cheaper rate a bit longer.

Is it fraud?  Yes.  BUT seriously, do you think "they" will care.

Just don't take the piss and they won't even notice

It's very easy to mistakenly put a 5 instead of a 3, or an extra naught on the end.

51 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Can't wait for truss to get absolutely obliterated in an election. Even with all their mates in control of the media they don't stand a chance at the next election, such are their disgraceful anti humane policies. Bunch of feckless, greedy, odious, dispicable smeg head scumbags who deserve the chair. 

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Can't wait for truss to get absolutely obliterated in an election. Even with all their mates in control of the media they don't stand a chance at the next election, such are their disgraceful anti humane policies. Bunch of feckless, greedy, odious, dispicable smeg head scumbags who deserve the chair. 

What? Have you seen the price of leccy?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 4