Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

So the British public choose to spend 7 billion pounds in Waitrose, and Waitrose makes less than 14.5m profit?

It's the same with the energy and water companies.

The profit as a figure is large, as a percentage profit margin it's often under 5%.

The press are good at riling people up about it anyway.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Where did you get those figures from? I’ve had a cursory glance at the Tesco annual statement and can’t see they operate at a 3% margin on cost of goods alone. You can actually download their figures onto excel and play about with them which is cool. Not saying you’re wrong btw just interested, as stated I’ve not looked into it in detail 

From the most recent published annual accounts, Tesco had (round figure) sales of £61 billion, Sainsbury £30 billion, Asda £27.5 billion, Morrisons £17.5 billion, total £136 billion.  67 million people in the UK, so that's £2,000 spend per head.  $4 billion combined profit, that's £60 per head.

The Tesco accounts show profit after interest and tax = £1.693 billion, which is 2,76% of their turnover which is £61,344 million per accounts.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Tesco said it now expects retail adjusted operating profit in its 2022-2023 financial year of 2.4-2.5 billion pounds

Which means they are making less money than in 2021-22, when operating profit was £2.8 billion.  Obviously interest and tax payable, which you have chosen not to quote, bring the figure down to £1.7 billion.  With the fall in operating profit and the increase in interest rates, we can expect 2022-23 profits to be a fair bit down.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

From the most recent published annual accounts, Tesco had (round figure) sales of £61 billion, Sainsbury £30 billion, Asda £27.5 billion, Morrisons £17.5 billion, total £136 billion.  67 million people in the UK, so that's £2,000 spend per head.  $4 billion combined profit, that's £60 per head.

The Tesco accounts show profit after interest and tax = £1.693 billion, which is 2,76% of their turnover which is £61,344 million per accounts.

Ok so you’re looking at total profit via the income statement not just top line gross taking into account cost of goods sold only. Can see the numbers you’re using 

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Which means they are making less money than in 2021-22, when operating profit was £2.8 billion.  Obviously interest and tax payable, which you have chosen not to quote, bring the figure down to £1.7 billion.  With the fall in operating profit and the increase in interest rates, we can expect 2022-23 profits to be a fair bit down.

image.thumb.png.dd53cb45a063fcb5c5e485b9e572b86d.png

33 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Has anyone received their £66 gas & electric rebate yet? My DD went out last Monday so was expecting it in my bank within a couple of days.

Yep. I'm with Eon and they automatically took it off my standard DD amount on the 1st of the month

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Has anyone received their £66 gas & electric rebate yet? My DD went out last Monday so was expecting it in my bank within a couple of days.

Yes it's annoying that EOn have dropped it by 66 quid when I've been paying the 80% increase in prices since May.  I'd rather carry on with that and bank the 400 as credit.

14 hours ago, kenny said:

It's the same with the energy and water companies.

The profit as a figure is large, as a percentage profit margin it's often under 5%.

The press are good at riling people up about it anyway.

Absolute figures are indeed pretty meaningless.  Also worth noting these are mostly then paid as dividends which will often incur further tax.

13 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yes, Octopus have reduced our DD by the £66 and a Gov. credit of £66 has appeared on our account - 5th Oct.

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Same, but I put the payments back to what they were in an attempt to build up some credit without noticing. 

Same. I've left the DD adjusted, but manually paying the difference plus a bit extra back. Our account was very in debt as we only started with them last Sept and used a shocking amount of gas last winter when the builders were in, we had half a ceiling missing for a couple of months (late Nov onward) and CH had issues with rads not working or missing until Feb. And the DD was too low. Hoping to keep the balance about zero until Feb, build up credit over the summer before our fix ends in Sept.