Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Cost of living crisis.

18 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not surprising teachers want to leave in droves - their pay is crap and despite the holidays and classroms finishing at 3 it isn't an easy job. Pension I guess used to be an attraction but I personally wouldnt want 30 years teaching kids to end up on a 25K a year pension. 

I'll be chuffed if I manage to get a £25k PA pension!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So we would become a nation of middle managers

wonderful…

That (conjectural as it is) might perhaps be a preferable outcome to letting the rules of evolution play out in society and in economics as they do now. That doesn't end well.

Or perhaps, there is a way to actually find a middle ground where aspiration is rewarded yet such aspiration is still able to be directed towards the public good for the benefit of everyone in areas it desperately needs to be done in. And no, that is not the balance that exists right now.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

That (conjectural as it is) might perhaps be a preferable outcome to letting the rules of evolution play out in society and in economics as they do now. That doesn't end well.

Or perhaps, there is a way to actually find a middle ground where aspiration is rewarded yet such aspiration is still able to be directed towards the public good for the benefit of everyone in areas it desperately needs to be done in. And no, that is not the balance that exists right now.

Good Lord, you did not need the last bit! I am well aware of this, and yes, it does need a middle ground (desperately) as the other extreme presented by Oz would just create alternate division and we come here again, yet much nearer to our ecological time bomb when there is even less time for it to be taken as serious as required.

12 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Safeguarding issues? What issues? Surely a teacher with police clearance is cleared for all children, not just a few? 

As for the number of classrooms in use, perhaps you're right. Not about all schools remaining open, because they didn't. Not nationally.  Perhaps they did in Leicester. But they will also save fuel by closing the windows this winter. They couldn't do that under covid rules. 

As for budgets not increasing, there we will just have to disagree. I quoted the official government figures, but your unevidenced and unlinked statement may of course be more accurate. Do you have a link? 

I'm not even replying to the rest of the drivel your spouting because the first 4 words sum up just how out of touch you are with education.

In terms of police clearance yes all school staff have it but take into account the fact that it was key worker AND vulnerable children who were kept in school, now each any everyone one of these vulnerable children come with their own contextual safeguarding protocols in varying degrees, only a few people in a school are privy to these needs and thus have to remain constantly vigilant to ensure the child is safe at school and at home ... But nah take them out of that Safe protective environment and sling them into a big class room across town with a few police checked strangers just to save a few quid on heating up a building so you can pay your bills in 2 years time ...

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Good Lord, you did not need the last bit! I am well aware of this, and yes, it does need a middle ground (desperately) as the other extreme presented by Oz would just create alternate division and we come here again, yet much nearer to our ecological time bomb when there is even less time for it to be taken as serious as required.

Yeah, sorry about that, I did umm and ahh a bit about including it but I did want there to be no ambiguity whatsoever about the way things are.

Of course we agree on the scale of the problem and the necessity of finding a solution... and the very considerable time constraints we have on finding it.

• Like 2

Have not read this thread for a while and really am not here for a dick measuring contest...... but another perspective

just signed a 3 year installment plan for a new water meter cus i aint got the equivilant of 50 quid to pay for the new meter in one.... the 20 quid labour charge will be on the next bill tough.

Concreted it in one but if certain individuals  of the homeless outside saw the replacement..... they will be digging the meter out tonight while the mix is still soft.

was going to writet more about food but an urgent soup matter has arisen.... maybe another time

edit. she did not bring the ginger for the soup but it was ok tasting anyway, however defeats the purpose of an flu remedy, which as an anti vaxer, i would have thought she would hsave been well into the natural cure thing

Edited by He aint bald

3 hours ago, He aint bald said:

Have not read this thread for a while and really am not here for a dick measuring contest...... but another perspective

just signed a 3 year installment plan for a new water meter cus i aint got the equivilant of 50 quid to pay for the new meter in one.... the 20 quid labour charge will be on the next bill tough.

Concreted it in one but if certain individuals  of the homeless outside saw the replacement..... they will be digging the meter out tonight while the mix is still soft.

was going to writet more about food but an urgent soup matter has arisen.... maybe another time

edit. she did not bring the ginger for the soup but it was ok tasting anyway, however defeats the purpose of an flu remedy, which as an anti vaxer, i would have thought she would hsave been well into the natural cure thing

Think the flu has made you delirious

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Not as good as Truss for a little over a month in the job. Has she turned it down?

No idea!

She no longer recieves a half-pay pension for life and (i think im guessing) only publicly elected PM's got this.

She will get the ex-PM expenses allowance currently being claimed in full by most ex-PM's (including George Osbourne it turns out!) but what duties she could think up after 44 days is a mystery. Im sure she will take her £19k settlement.

42 minutes ago, kenny said:

No idea!

She no longer recieves a half-pay pension for life and (i think im guessing) only publicly elected PM's got this.

She will get the ex-PM expenses allowance currently being claimed in full by most ex-PM's (including George Osbourne it turns out!) but what duties she could think up after 44 days is a mystery. Im sure she will take her £19k settlement.

I wonder if Braverman would like to cut her benefits

Be interesting to see how they handle the gas and electric support beyond April - if they make it more targeted and exclude say higher rate tax payers from any support this will effectively be seen as another income tax. You could be a HR tax payer on £60K a year, your mortgage has doubled, have 2 kids and grappling with 10% inflation elsewhere and still no way would be anywhere near being ablew to afford £5K a year in gas and electric bills. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Be interesting to see how they handle the gas and electric support beyond April - if they make it more targeted and exclude say higher rate tax payers from any support this will effectively be seen as another income tax. You could be a HR tax payer on £60K a year, your mortgage has doubled, have 2 kids and grappling with 10% inflation elsewhere and still no way would be anywhere near being ablew to afford £5K a year in gas and electric bills. 

It's quite simple. Windfall tax the hell out of every energy company that is still making double/triple the profits they normally would. It's as clear as day we are being exploited and the Government need to step in properly rather than subsidising shareholder dividends. 

No person (not even the high earners) should be paying more than they were this time last year. Not with falling wholesale prices and these huge profits.

The prices would soon drop if they were taxed appropriately and things would be more normal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, I was just wondering how much of this ridiculous pie we could rightfully seize

Being fair I'd say at least half of whatever money they've made in Britain during that time. It's about time an example was made. 

Just now, Dames said:

Being fair I'd say at least half of whatever money they've made in Britain during that time. It's about time an example was made. 

Would just tell them to keep it all and invest every last penny in tackling the evironment crisis they helped make

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dames said:

It's quite simple. Windfall tax the hell out of every energy company that is still making double/triple the profits they normally would. It's as clear as day we are being exploited and the Government need to step in properly rather than subsidising shareholder dividends. 

No person (not even the high earners) should be paying more than they were this time last year. Not with falling wholesale prices and these huge profits.

The prices would soon drop if they were taxed appropriately and things would be more normal.

I agree - I'll be super miffed if I end up paying £5-6K a year in energy costs 

37 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Targeted support means higher rate won’t be supported. That’s politically out of the question given the country is broke 

10 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Targeted support means higher rate won’t be supported. That’s politically out of the question given the country is broke 

Sorry, don`t understand that? Why is excluding higher rate tax payers from the fuel subsidy out of the question? Even if does impact some HR tax payers beyond acceptable levels, allow appeals would be viable you would think?

28 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would just tell them to keep it all and invest every last penny in tackling the evironment crisis they helped make

Well, just offer them the reasonably simple choice between investing it all in green energy infrastructure with a paper trail so clear a chimpanzee could read and understand it, or it gets taken away from them for government to do the same thing.

• Like 1