Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Renne 2-0 H Post Match Thread

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not sure why you are so surprised, he cannot play as a lone striker, he needs people around and going ahead of him!!!

Rodgers hoping that it will work eventually, even though he has seen it fail, over and over again.

The problem is we've built our side around Vardy and so have bought players to build around a one striker system.

I like Daka but I'm not convinced he's good enough to change the whole system to suit his game and neuter the likes of Barnes and Maddison for.

Switching for a 2 doesn't make sense if we want to get the best out of our attacking players who are better than Daka and more worthwhile trying to build the team around like Barnes and Maddison, so while Vardy is out we can kind of have to play Daka outside of his most effective style.

I'm not sure Rodgers should be switching to a front 2 just to facilitate Daka.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The problem is we've built our side around Vardy and so have bought players to build around a one striker system.

I like Daka but I'm not convinced he's good enough to change the whole system to suit his game and neuter the likes of Barnes and Maddison for.

Switching for a 2 doesn't make sense if we want to get the best out of our best players, so while Vardy is out we can kind of have to play Daka outside of his most effective style.

....we played a 3-5-2, at the back end of last season, we played 4-4-2 (diamond) against Liverpool, we also play 4-3-3!!!

We can incorporate him into the team, because we do not have or use our better players every game. I did think we were going to be moving away from the "lone striker" role. It does tend to limit our options, and when Nacho signed his new deal, you did think he was about to be rewarded for his exploits at the end of last season, with a chance for regular game time, playing in a two upfront.

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we played a 3-5-2, at the back end of last season, we played 4-4-2 (diamond) against Liverpool, we also play 4-3-3!!!

We can incorporate him into the team, because we do not have or use our better players every game. I did think we were going to be moving away from the "lone striker" striker role. It does tend to limit our options, and when Nacho signed his new deal, you did think he was about to be rewarded for his exploits at the end of last season, with a chance for regular game time, playing in a two upfront.

But right now Barnes Albrighton and Maddison are all playing well.

Why would we change to a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 right now and neuter our in form attacking players? But then who do you play up front while Vardy is injured? You have to play either Daka or Nacho.

Feel like it would be silly to switch to a front 2 right now while our wingers/number 10 are so in form.

29 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Anyone who is tempted to mock this competition should remember that between 1982 when we reached the FA Cup semi final and 1997 when we won the League Cup, our only cup run of any significance was in 1990/91 when we got to the Northern Area semi final of the Zenith Data Systems Cup.  And we took it very seriously too, the club and the supporters. In those days you didn't rest players for ZDS Cup matches. The 1st team had to play and they were expected to play their arses off too and leave everything on the pitch.

If you doubt my word, you  should check the footage of us away at Notts County in the Northern Area Quarter Final. We took 10,000 fans to the game on a terrible night of wind and rain. And we pulled off a rare giant killing too because Notts County were a 1st Division side then and we were 2nd Division.

I was there. Was a great night! 

52 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

Who doesn’t respect him? I’ve never known any Leicester fan to do anything other than worship the guy. If there are Leicester fans who don’t get him then they’re not worth listening to..

Pre match threads on here and you will find plenty, tonight included.

Agree with the rest 

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But right now Barnes Albrighton and Maddison are all playing well.

Why would we change to a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 right now and neuter our in form attacking players? But then who do you play up front while Vardy is injured? You have to play either Daka or Nacho.

Feel like it would be silly to switch to a front 2 right now while our wingers/number 10 are so in form.

...we played with a 4-3-3 tonight, Maddison was on the bench, so he does not have to be in the starting eleven!!!

We played Daka in the front three and if anything it should have been Nacho as a "false 9", much better with players ahead of him and better at linking the play.

Today's assessment - firstly my optimism pre game was right! :scarf:

So lots of positives, after the first 15 minutes or so we seemed to get into our groove and the players seemed to be enjoying their football again. Defensively we looked solid for the most part. Rennes are a good team and they'll cause most teams some problems, but overall I thought we dealt with them well. 

I feel Youri is coming too deep to collect the ball. He needs to be slightly further up the pitch and Ndidi needs to be the connection between the defense and midfield. Unfortunately he struggles with this. Because of this we tend to play quite wide and is sometimes predictable. 

Kevin had a fantastic game, true workhorse. Daka made some great runs, we needed that extra bit of quality in the final pass. 

OK so Barnes. It's really fraustrating for me as clearly there's an amazing ability there. If only his decision making was better, he seems to hold the ball for far too long and take too many touches when he doesn't need to. He's become overly greedy on the ball. His run and ball for the goal was brilliant to see however.

Madders up the quality when he came on. His eye for a pass is brilliant. He's always looking forwards. Nacho also did better today than recently. His hold up play is excellent. 

Overall a great result at home in the first leg, the second goal has given us that extra boost. Let's get the win on Sunday and do what we need to next week to keep our name in the hat! 

• Like 2

Just now, Dusty said:

Thought Cags and amartey were great. However, thought both their centre backs were class, especially Aguerd. Left footed centre back that just seemed to read the game so well.

Our second goal didn’t really speak great of their centre backs 

57 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Anyone who is tempted to mock this competition should remember that between 1982 when we reached the FA Cup semi final and 1997 when we won the League Cup, our only cup run of any significance was in 1990/91 when we got to the Northern Area semi final of the Zenith Data Systems Cup.  And we took it very seriously too, the club and the supporters. In those days you didn't rest players for ZDS Cup matches. The 1st team had to play and they were expected to play their arses off too and leave everything on the pitch.

If you doubt my word, you  should check the footage of us away at Notts County in the Northern Area Quarter Final. We took 10,000 fans to the game on a terrible night of wind and rain. And we pulled off a rare giant killing too because Notts County were a 1st Division side then and we were 2nd Division.

Northern area semi finalists in the Zenith Data Systems Cup you’ll never sing that 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Them pair at centre back deserve credit at the moment. Doing proper defending and their confidence is coming back. 

Bar that twenty minutes, Rodgers got that spot on and tactically we had them. 

Big Dan has been immense in recent games. He's kept it simple and his defending has been no nonsense and very effective. If it needs to be smashed out of the ground that's what he's done, Huth style. 

• Like 3

I can't statistically prove this is the case but I feel like the shape has reverted a bit more to something like the first half of 2019/20, Ndidi deeper and it's helped us get results. It was a bit like Burnley for me - I don't think we were exceptional but did what we needed to. Rennes play some nice stuff but just play that pass too many, time and time again.

The biggest praise I'll give specifically for tonight and Burnley is we do look a bit harder to score past now.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

Great win tonight cos Renne are definitely a good side.

Our ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ personality is currently at Mr Jekyll again… we are playing some good stuff. Barnes is on fire, Little Wes is waiting round the corner. 
Let’s just hope Mr Hyde don’t pop up again at Everton. They are awful and we are playing well again, so let’s stuff em!