Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Renne 2-0 H Post Match Thread

46 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

To be fair, I think this feeling wasn't so much about the game being all about the first 20 minutes, more to do with the fact that we keep doing exactly the same thing again and again and again. We suffocate the opponent for the first 20 minutes, then we start getting on the back foot and let them come back in the game (mostly because we can't play a whole game at that pace), whether we have scored or not. Which is all right, mostly, when we play like a mid-table Ligue 1 side, but keeps getting us in trouble against strong teams like Leicester.

Over the whole game, not much to say really. 1-0 was a logical scoreline, 2-0 is a bit harsh... Especially as we have pretty much inflicted that second goal upon ourselves (how many individual mistakes leading to that goal?) but it is what it is, it could have been anything from 1-0 to 3-0 to 1-1 

I had real hope, when Majer and Tait came on, that they were about to turn the dynamic around (immediately combining to create that Terrier chance) but your defence was class and Rodgers clearly had been looking at our usual tactics to stop us quick-passing our way into the area. 

In my eyes, it's now 90% finished for us. You have all the defending and counter-attacking weapons to manage us, let us run out of puff and hit us on the counter on the return leg, even if we are back to full force (i.e : with Majer and Tait starting), but then we have seen weird thing happen with the wonderful support at Roazhon Park, who knows...

Re : Rennes fans in the home stand, they were indeed Corporate/VIP guests who, for some reason, the club refuses to sit them in the away end with the commoners.

I think thats a pretty fair assessment of the game...i was surprised that you continued to attack in the later stages..just a 1-0 defeat would have been a decent result to take back to Rennes, but you allowed us to score on the break late on ! 

I wouldn't say it was great, but we showed some real resilience to weather the early storm and to see out the game like we did. I've never seen a team dominate like Rennes did and then for it to just stop, it was like someone turned them off. Perhaps fitness is an issue for them.

I was getting frustrated with the time wasting in the last 20 minutes. It was like the players were playing for three points or were worried about an away goal. When you are at home in the first leg and on top you have to try and put them to the sword, but we seemed quite happy with 1-0. Luckily we did end up getting the goal, but it didn't feel like we were forcing it.

Still a lot of work to do in the second leg as we know we are capable of PSG-esque collapses, but it's put us in a great position.

10 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Didn't like the look of Hamza at RB. There was a moment when he put the ball out for a corner and it was given as a goal kick. The look on his face said he knew he got away with it. Big Dan covered for him a few times and Marc had to have a word.

But on the slowmo it nicked the leg of the Rennes player.  A very slight touch, but the correct decision all the same.  There are one or two Hamza bashers who use any excuse to have a go at him, where recently the problem has been the no-show of Tielemans in front of him, thus denying him an outlet.

Hamza's recent performances have been solid, where solidarity, strength, determination and pace have been sorely lacking;  and he is a fair defensive header of the ball.  I think our results when he's played a part recently have shown an up-turn in our form.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

But on the slowmo it nicked the leg of the Rennes player.  A very slight touch, but the correct decision all the same.  There are one or two Hamza bashers who use any excuse to have a go at him, where recently the problem has been the no-show of Tielemans in front of him, thus denying him an outlet.

Hamza's recent performances have been solid, where solidarity, strength, determination and pace have been sorely lacking;  and he is a fair defensive header of the ball.  I think our results when he's played a part recently have shown an up-turn in our form.

Quite the opposite 

49 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I wouldn't say it was great, but we showed some real resilience to weather the early storm and to see out the game like we did. I've never seen a team dominate like Rennes did and then for it to just stop, it was like someone turned them off. Perhaps fitness is an issue for them.

I was getting frustrated with the time wasting in the last 20 minutes. It was like the players were playing for three points or were worried about an away goal. When you are at home in the first leg and on top you have to try and put them to the sword, but we seemed quite happy with 1-0. Luckily we did end up getting the goal, but it didn't feel like we were forcing it.

Still a lot of work to do in the second leg as we know we are capable of PSG-esque collapses, but it's put us in a great position.

Not sure what time wasting you refer to Ricey if anyone was holding the game up it was the Ref

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

In the process of cutting off the amount of chances we have ket teams have, we aren't creating that many ourselves so we're still a huge work in progress but one that's managed 3 clean sheets on the bounce. It feels like there's a foundation being built for this team to try and evolve in to being able to attack a bit more without the huge gaping issues when it comes the other way.

30 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Must admit our left side is looking brilliant rn. The link up play was brilliant

It will happen on the right once JJ (RB) & Ricky (RW) are both fully up to speed with Youri being the right midfield link man.
I've said in another thread this set up comes at the expense of Maddison but it provides a better screen for our defence when out of possession which our recent upturn in results (past 6 games) have shown.

Très déçu. Vous pouvez remercier l'arbitre sur 2 faits de jeu qui font basculer le score en votre faveur. Le pénalty indiscutable oublié pour nous à la 53' et la faute sur Majer qui vous permet de récupérer le ballon et de marquer le deuxième mais si cruel et immérité.

Bravo à vos supporters pour l'ambiance. Pas fan de votre jeu qui ressemble à celui de Lille et de Nice en L1 et que je n'apprécie guère.

On fait un assez mauvais match et on est capable de bien mieux.

Malgré celà, on tire 14 fois et vous 11.

On assure aussi 51 % de possession.

On aura certainement une équipe différente au retour avec notre équipe type qui a atomisé Lyon et battu Paris à l'aller.

Je crois encore à une prolongation au retour et que l'on s'impose dans celle-ci.

Si ça va aux tirs aux buts, vous gagnez.

Edited by Roazhon Da Viken
Erreur d'orthographe

3 minutes ago, Roazhon Da Viken said:

Très déçu. Vous pouvez remercier l'arbitre sur 2 faits de jeu qui font basculer le score en votre faveur. Le pénalty indiscutable oublié pour nous à la 53' et la faute sur Majer qui vous permet de récupérer le ballon et de marquer le deuxième mais si cruel et immérité.

Bravo à vos supporters pour l'ambiance. Pas fan de votre jeu qui ressemble à celui de Lille et de Nice en L1 et que je n'apprécie guère.

On aura certainement une équipe différente au retour avec notre équipe type qui a atomisé Lyon et battu Paris à l'aller.

Je crois encore à une prolongation au retour et que l'on s'impose dans celle-ci.

Very disappointed. You can thank the referee on 2 game facts that tip the score in your favor. The indisputable penalty forgotten for us at 53' and the foul on Majer which allows you to recover the ball and score the second but so cruel and undeserved.

Congratulations to your supporters for the atmosphere. Not a fan of your game which resembles that of Lille and Nice in L1 and which I hardly appreciate.

We had a pretty bad game and we are capable of much better.

Despite this, we shoot 14 times and you 11.

We also ensure 51% possession.

We will certainly have a different team on the return with our typical team which atomized Lyon and beat Paris in the first leg.

I still believe in an extension on the return and that we win in this one.

If it goes to penalties, you win. 

11 minutes ago, Roazhon Da Viken said:

Your team didn't even call for a foul for that tackle leading for the second goal apart from the guy who lost the ball, lookman very clearly won it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Not sure what time wasting you refer to Ricey if anyone was holding the game up it was the Ref

When the ball went out for a throw we were doing the usual time wasting thing of walking towards it, picking it up, then giving it to someone else who has also strolled over. There was little urgency to try and keep the momentum going and extend the lead. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roazhon Da Viken said:

Il n'y a qu'une fiche qui compte et malgré votre pleinerie de tirs vous en avez manqué chaque'un, ben, sauf un qui a été facilement dédié.  Je dirais que c'est plutot ca qui devrait te concerner.  Bonne chance pour le retour.

3 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

Zero grief against the referee as far as I am concerned. The penalty clearly isn’t one. The rules were changed shortly after we got properly fleeced at Chelsea in the Champions League last year (Google “Dalbert + Rennes + Chelsea” to see what I mean), and in this case Soyuncu can’t avoid the ball bouncing on him, then once it gets on to the other arm is too late (according to the rulebook)

A little bit inconsistent maybe, sometimes giving fouls that seemed soft, sometimes forgetting big ones… So maybe Majer was fouled, it looked a bit like it, but thN Bourigeaud should have had a yellow card for clipping KDH’s heel just before the “handball” incident… Majer could have gained a free-kick on the 2-0 but it’s certainly not what gets us in trouble eventually…

Re Time-wasting, there were a couple of events where I was very nearly ready to moan and shout at my TV, but truly not enough to be more than a little bit miffed. No issues there, I thought the spirit was pretty good from both sides, even when tempers got a bit close to flaring (Omari vs KDH I believe)

Really appreciate your insight, brilliant English as well I may add! hope we beat you next week but all the best for the future.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1