Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Babylon said:

We've tried to renew them, I think people need to get used to players running contracts down as it's going to happen more and more often. Premier league teams ask ludicrous sums for their players, look at what people value our players at, seemingly based on Maguire and not much else. The prices they talk about are bonkers, few clubs will pay that money and we as a club have probably been guilty of it also. 

The more that happens, the more players are just not going to sign and run down contracts to gain the power back from clubs asking silly money. It won't just be us stung by it. 

Apparently soyuncu has never been offered one.

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Arsene wenger was always very vocal about transfer fees disappearing with players just running contracts down, maybe the beginning of that period 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Which tells me that his people have told us that he wouldn’t sign one so don’t bother offering one 

Yeah there is no way you don’t offer a first team player that you would keep or get money for a contract at some point, he must have said forget it I’m going to Madrid or something like that..

37 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We should sort him out.  A good cb will cost 50m.  Let's spend 1m sorting him out!

Im no medical expert but brain transplants would cost significantly more than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We've regularly tried to secure assets in the last year or so to longer contracts, even poorer players than him. It's just basic good business sense, so I would hazard a guess that if that's the case, they've simply made us aware that they have zero interest in renewing. Everyone blowing smoke up his arse two years ago has gone to his head. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Wise move from the club in my opinion, for the money he would expect it’s not value at all.

It's better value than going out and paying £20m+ for a replacement, if we aren't going to get bids on him. 

49 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Wise move from the club in my opinion, for the money he would expect it’s not value at all.

He is worth around 15m with a year left

if we’d paid him an extra 2m per season for the last couple years he would now have several years left on his contract and be worth £30m+ 

Thinking back through the season, since his recovery from his groin injury, has he  looked v engaged ?  - culminating in his performance at spurs where he definitely looked like a player who didn’t want to get injured. 

8 hours ago, Phenom said:

Lol we’re not loaning him out. Makes no sense.

So if we need to free up a squad space for a new signing, and he wants to leave, and no one wants to sign him permanently, what other option do we have? 

No way he leaves on a loan (which is effectively letting him go for free).  We have Fofana coming back from an injury and an injury prone Evans.  I’d rather let him run down his contract and get another year out of him,

Vestegard out on loan I can see

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He is worth around 15m with a year left

if we’d paid him an extra 2m per season for the last couple years he would now have several years left on his contract and be worth £30m+ 

Thinking back through the season, since his recovery from his groin injury, has he  looked v engaged ?  - culminating in his performance at spurs where he definitely looked like a player who didn’t want to get injured. 

That’s 38k a week, I’d imagine he would be angling for closer to 80k a week to bring him in line with the first teamers which isn’t value imo.

Sorry I’ve just seen you said extra, I still don’t think paying a 4th choice player who is an international is wise financially or from a team morale pov.

Edited by Costock_Fox

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's better value than going out and paying £20m+ for a replacement, if we aren't going to get bids on him. 

Even if said replacement who we pay £20m for sells for couple that?

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

We've tried to renew them, I think people need to get used to players running contracts down as it's going to happen more and more often. Premier league teams ask ludicrous sums for their players, look at what people value our players at, seemingly based on Maguire and not much else. The prices they talk about are bonkers, few clubs will pay that money and we as a club have probably been guilty of it also. 

The more that happens, the more players are just not going to sign and run down contracts to gain the power back from clubs asking silly money. It won't just be us stung by it. 

Where PL clubs in general but certainly those outside the big 6 also get stung is the inflated prices they are quoted as opposed to European equivalents for players. So we're in the realms of over paying for players to come to the PL over more stabilised European powerhouses but then the players run the contracts down and even more money is lost to these PL clubs. It's nigh on impossible to maintain a challenge to the grotty 6.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s 38k a week, I’d imagine he would be angling for closer to 80k a week to bring him in line with the first teamers which isn’t value imo.

Sorry I’ve just seen you said extra, I still don’t think paying a 4th choice player who is an international is wise financially or from a team morale pov.

At the point where we should have been renewing at 80k/week, you’d have been comfortable paying it. 

look at the way VVD played at soton in his last six months there ,……..

cags heart hasn’t been in it here since Jan