Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

On 17/06/2022 at 20:04, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brendan doesn't really have the pulling power to sign these sort of players ..that's why we end up getting linked with Southampton's deadwood 

Or the budget.

6 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Or the budget.

Vestergaard cost about as much as Soyuncu did. Don't think it's budget but just getting the right players in. 

Other defenders have gone for a similar amount that may of worked out better. We wasn't to know at the time how the deals works out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slymunn said:

Vestergaard cost about as much as Soyuncu did. Don't think it's budget but just getting the right players in. 

Other defenders have gone for a similar amount that may of worked out better. We wasn't to know at the time how the deals works out 

I meant in this window.

“Our aim is to be in the top four but worst-case scenario finish in the top six,” he adds. “We target the Champions League season after season.

I think there external message by the club is to play down exceptions, but internal it higher. 

"I'm a Leicester player," he told the Times. "I'm very lucky to have been given a fantastic chance by Leicester. The season is starting and as long as I'm one of the players here, I'll give 100 percent and do the best I can do.

"My priority is Leicester because I cannot forget the importance of the club and what coming here has done for my career. I developed as a player here. Leicester is like a family to me. That's what the club represents to me - a huge family - and huge ambition."

love this guy. how can you not want him at the club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

"I'm a Leicester player," he told the Times. "I'm very lucky to have been given a fantastic chance by Leicester. The season is starting and as long as I'm one of the players here, I'll give 100 percent and do the best I can do.

"My priority is Leicester because I cannot forget the importance of the club and what coming here has done for my career. I developed as a player here. Leicester is like a family to me. That's what the club represents to me - a huge family - and huge ambition."

Taking that at face value, given the lad is quite a private and unassuming bloke then it seems he wants to stay here. Get him a decent 4 year extension lined up, it will instantly improve his confidence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Maybe because he can’t defend :dunno:

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Taking that at face value, given the lad is quite a private and unassuming bloke then it seems he wants to stay here. Get him a decent 4 year extension lined up, it will instantly improve his confidence.

Haven't we already offered him a contract and he didn't sign it yet? 

7 minutes ago, KFS said:

You don't get in the Bundesliga and PL Team of The Year if you can't defend. He's a modern defender with the odd flaw and can suffer crisis' of confidence but to say he can't defend is wide of the mark.

5 minutes ago, turlo said:

Haven't we already offered him a contract and he didn't sign it yet? 

That's what I'd always assumed but I'm sure it's been reported recently that we've never entered in to contract negotiations with him. Hasn't he recently changed agents? Maybe his previous one was a helmet and we opted not to even bother if noises had been made.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, KFS said:

Quite the opposite, he's a defender who loves to defend, he's brilliant when he can get his head up and play forwards.

Playing keep ball, camped in front of the 18 yard box playing endless side to side with a hint of backwards football, constantly putting himself, other players and the defence in general under pressure ultimately leading to a mistake, it's no wonder his confidence is shot.

It's beyond me why we play like we do when it's so counter productive for the players we have playing in this way.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

I think Rodgers sees him as someone we may be able to get a reasonable fee from, to help with his rebuild.  I think thats why Rodgers called him out, pretty much froze him out in fact, especially towards the end of the season, and which is why he started to play Armartey ahead of him.  I think he sees Nacho in the same way, he thinks he will command a decent fee, that can be used for his rebuild.

Whether we agree with that plan or not, and some will and some wont, it is Rodgers job as manager to make those calls, and to have the scale of rebuild he was hoping for, he knows it would take the sale of some of the more saleable assets of the club to generate the funds he was hoping for, as well as Youri, who he will also have fully expected to be sold, to help with transfer funds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I think Rodgers sees him as someone we may be able to get a reasonable fee from, to help with his rebuild.  I think thats why Rodgers called him out, pretty much froze him out in fact, especially towards the end of the season, and which is why he started to play Armartey ahead of him.  I think he sees Nacho in the same way, he thinks he will command a decent fee, that can be used for his rebuild.

Whether we agree with that plan or not, and some will and some wont, it is Rodgers job as manager to make those calls, and to have the scale of rebuild he was hoping for, he knows it would take the sale of some of the more saleable assets of the club to generate the funds he was hoping for, as well as Youri, who he will also have fully expected to be sold, to help with transfer funds.

Or maybe he expected a contract in line with the higher earners of the club, 

• Like 1

I suppose the question is can we get him back to his beast mode best… on his day he’s an absolute asset to the team, but his form has obviously dipped a lot over the last 12 months.

With the talk about needing to sell before we can buy, if we can get Soyuncu back to his best form then that’s potentially one less new signing needed to make.

Also, with only 12 months left on his contract, is the relatively small fee we are likely to receive for him going to be enough to bring someone in that’s a step up?

Obviously this is all dependent on if Soyuncu wants to stay and if there is a desire to keep him/a contract offer on the table..

Lots of ifs there I know…

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I love Soyuncu, fill him with confidence like Rodgers did to Maddison and Barnes during rough patches and the lad will rekindle his undoubted ability.

He's only on 50 bags a week, offer him a 25% pay rise and he's still below our average wage and he may well take it if we're serious about his long term future here.

I’m firmly in this camp. When he first replaced Harry we thought we’d struck gold. He’s had a bit of a lumpy ride since, but his early promise was too good to just bin off.