Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

Unpopular opinion alert.

Like with Youri, as with Cags, we seems weirdly unaware when a players peak value is, and as fans we sometimes act like they are pets and poor Mr. Caggly Waggly will come good if we give him tummy rubs and maybe he will, but how long do we wait?

Thats all fine, but we should not then complain about lack of incomings if we want to be so sentimental with current players

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Unpopular opinion alert.

Like with Youri, as with Cags, we seems weirdly unaware when a players peak value is, and as fans we sometimes act like they are pets and poor Mr. Caggly Waggly will come good if we give him tummy rubs and maybe he will, but how long do we wait?

Thats all fine, but we should not then complain about lack of incomings if we want to be so sentimental with current players

Hard to judge when peak value is.

I like most of the current squad.  Not surprising when we back them week in, week out.   But some have got to go.

Choudhury, Amartey,  Mendy, Soyuncu and Iheanacho are all players I like but it is time to sell each of them.   There are others who have never really clicked who need to leave.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
16 minutes ago, majaco said:

I like most of the current squad.  Not surprising when we back them week in, week out.   But some have got to go.

Choudhury, Amartey,  Mendy, Soyuncu and Iheanacho are all players I like but it is time to sell each of them.   There are others who have never really clicked who need to leave.

I’d sell the others in your list but I’d keep Soyuncu. He’ll be fine alongside a proper CB

18 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Rodgers gave up on him after he completely bottled a 50/50 challenge against Romero in the away defeat against Spurs which led to them scoring, he has not played a minute since that game.

Tbf I can almost forgive anyone bottling a challenge against Romero, man's an absolute shithouse.  Wish he played for us mind. 

• Like 1

I’d be quite happy if woke up to the news of Cags signing a contract extension.

I keep reading he wouldn’t be happy with being 3rd choice, with Evans unlikely to start 25+ games…with cup competitions he could easily start the same/more than Jonny.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, majaco said:

...does that mean we need to offload Maddison now!!!

You are only as good as your last season and now would be a good time to offload. He may have a stellar season coming up, but it may be on a par with his inconsistent early season start.

Managers would be thrown to the lions if they chose to offload players at their peak, it really is not an easy call, especially when you are attempting to build a team capable of trying to challenge the best.

8 hours ago, Muzzy_Izzn’t said:

I suppose the question is can we get him back to his beast mode best… on his day he’s an absolute asset to the team, but his form has obviously dipped a lot over the last 12 months.

With the talk about needing to sell before we can buy, if we can get Soyuncu back to his best form then that’s potentially one less new signing needed to make.

Also, with only 12 months left on his contract, is the relatively small fee we are likely to receive for him going to be enough to bring someone in that’s a step up?

Obviously this is all dependent on if Soyuncu wants to stay and if there is a desire to keep him/a contract offer on the table..

Lots of ifs there I know…

The Times interview confirms he wants to stay, the club is perfect for him. He has great respect for LCFC helping him develop his career.  If he was offered a new contract, he would sign.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I’d sell the others in your list but I’d keep Soyuncu. He’ll be fine alongside a proper CB

He has a year left on his contract.    He has lacked positivity (maybe confidence) for some time.   IMO, it is in our best interests to sell this window.   We need a new cb replacement. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...does that mean we need to offload Maddison now!!!

You are only as good as your last season and now would be a good time to offload. He may have a stellar season coming up, but it may be on a par with his inconsistent early season start.

Managers would be thrown to the lions if they chose to offload players at their peak, it really is not an easy call, especially when you are attempting to build a team capable of trying to challenge the best.

?????

That was a response to another post.   You have made a few leaps of faith to suggest that it imp.ies we should sell Maddison.

Maddison is immense.  I would make him captain.   If he doesn't sign a new contract,  we may need to cash in next summer.

I am not one of last year's Maddison haters who wanted him out of the club.   He is clearly top level.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, majaco said:

?????

That was a response to another post.   You have made a few leaps of faith to suggest that it imp.ies we should sell Maddison.

Maddison is immense.  I would make him captain.   If he doesn't sign a new contract,  we may need to cash in next summer.

I am not one of last year's Maddison haters who wanted him out of the club.   He is clearly top level.  

...it was in relation to getting the timing right in selling players when their price was at its perceived highest point!!!

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it was in relation to getting the timing right in selling players when their price was at its perceived highest point!!!

I see that.   But it appears that you enjoy giving a bombastic opinion that only deals with part of a post.   

I was responding to @Dahnsouffin a more measured way,

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Selling players at their peak might be acceptable if we have someone lined up to take their place but we haven't with maddison. We sell maddison and didn't sign an equally good player we will struggle imo

Just now, splinterdream said:

Selling players at their peak might be acceptable if we have someone lined up to take their place but we haven't with maddison. We sell maddison and didn't sign an equally good player we will struggle imo

....not suggesting we sell Maddison, just the premise of selling players at their peak value!!!

It would be difficult for us to offload our better players just to maximize an income. Even with a replacement lined up, it is still a big gamble to go down that line. A good season for Fofana would possibly put us in a position where we may be forced to cash in due to an offer, even bringing in a replacement still makes us weaker.

28 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not suggesting we sell Maddison, just the premise of selling players at their peak value!!!

It would be difficult for us to offload our better players just to maximize an income. Even with a replacement lined up, it is still a big gamble to go down that line. A good season for Fofana would possibly put us in a position where we may be forced to cash in due to an offer, even bringing in a replacement still makes us weaker.

I hope there’s a serious plan because it feels like we’re in a managed decline 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I hope there’s a serious plan because it feels like we’re in a managed decline 

This is how it feels to me. It’s strange because you look at the players on the pitch and there seems to be a buzz about them.

A good example today is Tielemans. He doesn’t need to put himself in the shop window does he. No scout is going to gain any further knowledge about him by watching him play against Derby.

Yet, he was sublime today. He didn’t do a Pogba and just give in because he couldn’t be arsed. Tielemans seems a very good bloke who still looks ok to be at Leicester?

Same with Soyuncu.

Yet, if the reports are correct, they want out.

It does make me wonder what’s going on behind the scenes at the club.

One thing players like this do like though, is to see a squad being strengthened. They must have looked at what we signed last summer and thought wtf!?

And a player like Tielemans must himself look at our defence last season, minus Fofana and question why it was leakier than a sieve.

37 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is how it feels to me. It’s strange because you look at the players on the pitch and there seems to be a buzz about them.

A good example today is Tielemans. He doesn’t need to put himself in the shop window does he. No scout is going to gain any further knowledge about him by watching him play against Derby.

Yet, he was sublime today. He didn’t do a Pogba and just give in because he couldn’t be arsed. Tielemans seems a very good bloke who still looks ok to be at Leicester?

Same with Soyuncu.

Yet, if the reports are correct, they want out.

It does make me wonder what’s going on behind the scenes at the club.

One thing players like this do like though, is to see a squad being strengthened. They must have looked at what we signed last summer and thought wtf!?

And a player like Tielemans must himself look at our defence last season, minus Fofana and question why it was leakier than a sieve.

I said it end of 20/21 season, if Tielemens sees us signing quality and showing ambition, he signs. He and those around him must have known like some of us did, both in jan 20 and jan 21 we needed to strengthen to secure that top 4 and we didn’t, must have felt like a real blow when we lost games like we did against Bournemouth 

Guest Col city fan
Just now, splinterdream said:

I said it end of 20/21 season, if Tielemens sees us signing quality and showing ambition, he signs. He and those around him must have known like some of us did, both in jan 20 and jan 21 we needed to strengthen to secure that top 4 and we didn’t, must have felt like a real blow when we lost games like we did against Bournemouth 

One of the most interesting and relevant points I’ve read on here for ages. Tielemans knows how good he is. Not in an arrogant way, btw, but in terms of the level he can play at. He must look at Amartey behind him and think what am I doing here? 
We’ve let Tielemans down as much as anything, I suggest.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One of the most interesting and relevant points I’ve read on here for ages. Tielemans knows how good he is. Not in an arrogant way, btw, but in terms of the level he can play at. He must look at Amartey behind him and think what am I doing here? 
We’ve let Tielemans down as much as anything, I suggest.

We are where we are. We don’t know what’s going on financially and it seems to keep players playing for us we’ve been giving them more and more money and now it’s become unmanageable at the self sustainable level, maybe Rodger’s comments about us overachieving was a hint at what’s to come. Maybe we’ve seen our best days but you got to keep dreaming, wouldn’t want to support anyone else 😀

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

We are where we are. We don’t know what’s going on financially and it seems to keep players playing for us we’ve been giving them more and more money and now it’s become unmanageable at the self sustainable level, maybe Rodger’s comments about us overachieving was a hint at what’s to come. Maybe we’ve seen our best days but you got to keep dreaming, wouldn’t want to support anyone else 😀

....we have 10 players coming to the end of their contracts at the end of June 2023!!!

We are investing funds in infrastructure, we won't be doing this again once the stadium is expanded and the hotel and fans areas are built, we can then have more funds to spend on developing the squad. Reducing the squad means reducing the wages bill, and monies generated from off-pitch trading can then be added to on-pitch and merchandising to give us a wider wage to Revenue ratio.

The dilemma, if you want to call it that, is that we all know there's a player in there, everyone does, we've seen it. So there's always going to be the "what if?" scenario. If we get him back to his best we have a player with a massive value, better than anything we can buy. The trouble is though if we keep him and he turns out crap, then we've missed an opportunity to sell him for a moderate fee (assuming there's interest) in this window. And so he goes on a free or we offer him to stay on to hopefully salvage some value further down the line on a player who's not really the required standard.

So that leaves us with the other side of it and he comes good, has a great season, and proves he's worth 60,70 mill or more. But his contract is up, he's a free agent and we've got very little chance keeping him on. So we get no money to replace someone who presumably has become an integral member of the side.

So there's only really 2 win situations. We sell him now and get something rather than nothing, or he's awesome, we get CL footy and he signs up long-term. And out if all the possible scenarios I think we can all agree that that one is obviously the one that is going to happen...

:fc:

Edited by JimJams

He wasn’t great last year at all but I think the key to him and all our cb pairings playing well is Jonny Evans, he is one of the best readers of the game in the premier league and he is an excellent organiser.

he drops off more while Soyuncu or Fofana play their aggressive ball winning game whilst he will mop up any thing that comes through.

He is a good player and we know that but he has to be in the right pairing at the back, personally if we can get him to sign a new deal then I’d keep him, Fofana is brilliant but he does worry me at the moment when he gets a knock on his leg and also if he keeps playing well and fulfils his huge potential then he will move to an elite club (that could be next season) so I wouldn’t want to lose them both so soon.

• Like 2

On 24/07/2022 at 05:25, thegaffa said:

He wasn’t great last year at all but I think the key to him and all our cb pairings playing well is Jonny Evans, he is one of the best readers of the game in the premier league and he is an excellent organiser.

he drops off more while Soyuncu or Fofana play their aggressive ball winning game whilst he will mop up any thing that comes through.

He is a good player and we know that but he has to be in the right pairing at the back, personally if we can get him to sign a new deal then I’d keep him, Fofana is brilliant but he does worry me at the moment when he gets a knock on his leg and also if he keeps playing well and fulfils his huge potential then he will move to an elite club (that could be next season) so I wouldn’t want to lose them both so soon.

Nailed it. Nothing to add there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Which Cags thread to post in? This one will do...

My current thinking as to why Cags isn't being selected; he hasn't shagged any member of Rodgers' family, or dumped in or on his car. Rodgers doesn't even (maybe) hold grudges. I reckon it's because Cags has given up and Rodgers can see that on the training ground (we obviously don't)

Incidents like Veste rinsing him. Not that he did it but that Cags let Veste do it. Cags was half-assed, didn't care. Maybe Cags' is now just in cruise control mode, turning up for training and going through the motions.

I've no idea why but maybe he just wants to see his contract out and reassess where he is, maybe make a move back to Turkey. Bottom line is, as far we're concerned is he's given up.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1