Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

Off to the game in a minute….Soyuncu is primarily the reason he isn’t getting picked…..not Rogers…..if Cags is absolutely brilliant every day in training, trust me he’ll be picked…..he isn’t and as a result won’t start.  Why would any manager not pick a player that would improve the team……Ronaldo is a case in point right now…..has been unsettling, hasn’t been playing, although they might need him tonight…..because the Manager needs him….

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

My gut feeling is that the management team aren’t able to get the best out of him and he’s kind of given up. He looks depressed to me. I’m convinced a manager who can put an arm round him can get him playing near full potential again. Rodgers publicly inferring that he’s not committed to the club by not signing a new contract is a also a betrayal of trust, which cannot help.  

I for one didn't need Rodger's help inferring this

Edited by turtmcfly

26 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

My gut feeling is that the management team aren’t able to get the best out of him and he’s kind of given up. He looks depressed to me. I’m convinced a manager who can put an arm round him can get him playing near full potential again. Rodgers publicly inferring that he’s not committed to the club by not signing a new contract is a also a betrayal of trust, which cannot help.  

The bizarre thing is, he’s taken a different approach with Youri. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

One other thing that the Youri and Soyuncu situations have shown us is the respect the players had for Vichai. 

Mahrez signed the contract - regardless of how it finished, he came back after the strike.

Kante took the Chelsea move instead of other suitors. Allowing us to get a bigger fee despite the release clause.

Maguire signed the contract and allowed us to milk every penny from United. 

We don’t seem to have that relationship with this current lot. The respect from the players to the leadership.

The Mahrez strike was in transfer window 3/4 after he wanted to leave. He played an entire season despite what he believed was genuine interest. 

Maguire never released articles of what he thought was a fair price. 

I think it says more about the character of the current lot rather than the leadership though.

I get what you're saying generally, and while this was indeed one effect of the deal, let's not pretend that's the main reason he signed it - it was almost a year before he moved there. He seems to have been confident (correctly) that he'd attract the necessary inflated fee to extract him. Maybe leaving wasn't a major desire - we were doing well and he'd only been here for 13 months at that point

Youri and Soyuncu have both been here for nearly twice as long as Maguire when he left, both came off poor seasons (same for the club too, relatively) and are clearly keen to leave. Even with a year left on their contracts we can't shift them, so they'd have been right to think a contract extension would have glued them here.

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What is he doing in training? 

To be as off it as Rogers is saying he must just be sat around on the grass all day

It's his stock excuse for not playing someone he has no intention of playing. He said the same about Under too. I'm telling you now, the longer Rodgers remains manager, the less likely we are going to get out of trouble. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Could it be that he's not committed to Rogers and things will improve when Rogers leaves.?

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

Could it be that he's not committed to Rogers and things will improve when Rogers leaves.?

I don't think so, no. More of an existential crisis perhaps methinks. Maybe he might be briefly reinvigorated under a new manager but I think the issue is broader than that.

But I really have no idea. I can see the nett result by I've no idea how we got there. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

I get what you're saying generally, and while this was indeed one effect of the deal, let's not pretend that's the main reason he signed it - it was almost a year before he moved there. He seems to have been confident (correctly) that he'd attract the necessary inflated fee to extract him. Maybe leaving wasn't a major desire - we were doing well and he'd only been here for 13 months at that point

Youri and Soyuncu have both been here for nearly twice as long as Maguire when he left, both came off poor seasons (same for the club too, relatively) and are clearly keen to leave. Even with a year left on their contracts we can't shift them, so they'd have been right to think a contract extension would have glued them here.

You can also flip it. Mourinho openly admitted that Maguire was his number one target as CB. He lost his job. The club came back for him. Man U could've easily have moved onto other targets or chosen a cheaper option - they didnt. He could've easily have pushed for the move when his stock was the highest after the England performances. 

19 minutes ago, taupe said:

I don't think so, no. More of an existential crisis perhaps methinks. Maybe he might be briefly reinvigorated under a new manager but I think the issue is broader than that.

But I really have no idea. I can see the nett result by I've no idea how we got there. 

I'd love to know the inside story of his problems, Because it's just bizaar. He's comfortably cost himself 6 million pds in the past 2 seasons.

Thats a heavy price to pay for a principle. If that's what it is.

53 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What is he doing in training? 

To be as off it as Rogers is saying he must just be sat around on the grass all day

Not remotely saying Cags is up to anything like this, but The Upshot email was in my inbox this morning... 

Interesting titbit from West Ham striker Mikhail Antonio, regarding players trying to force transfers:

I've seen a player come in and say to the manager, 'I want to leave.' The manager says 'no'. The player goes into the kit room and takes every single football. Every single football. Then goes home - no training.

I've seen another player in training - the ball comes to him, he boots it away. Every single time. If you don't pass it to him, he's running after the ball to kick it away
  • Haha 3

Yep, we forget how young some players are. It must a surreal environment; a team of professional players and trained staff, with state of the art equipment etc, having to deal with the antics of essentially sulky teenagers (and some of them no longer in their teens) The staff must think, nowhere in my coaching instruction have I been taught how to deal with this. Though, that said, maybe the do get that training these days!

Edited by taupe

56 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I personally think this is the problem with a lot of the players.

It's not a refresh the club needs but a reset.

New manager different tactics and a different atmosphere, the whole squad will look different.

Its just not Cags, Luke Thomas looked better in his 1st season to now. He used to whip in beautiful crosses and had a great understanding with Barnes. Looks completely lost now, confused at what he should be doing. The same is true for Ndidi, one of the best midfield destroyers, whose game has slowly regressed and is now our 2nd choice CB, by the looks of it. Add to that the likes of JJ and  Riccardo, who both look much worse post injuries. What's the reason numerous players are regressing. I can only think its Rodgers and his, let's pass the ball to ourselves until the opposition/fans fall asleep tactics.

Edited by sm1

Cags has clearly taken Rodgers comments after the Spurs game personally. Up til that point he was one of the first names on the teamsheet. Now Rodgers is literally reshuffling the midfield just to avoid playing him. With 3 hours left of the window, and it being obvious neither would leave, he was leaving 2 CBs benched/out of the squad and playing our DM at the back. Performances on the training ground don't mean anything. Look at all the shit players we've ever had, were they class on the training pitch? Its plain and simple, just like with Praet, Rodgers is being a stubborn child. We've heard so much about his brilliant man management but I can't think of a time when two players clearly capable of at least sub appearances were so blatantly overlooked by the manager because of his attitude. Even if it was an issue at the backend of the season, it should have been put to bed in pre-season not left to continue damaging the club.

It's poor management, arrogance and stubbornness at the cost of the good of the team.