Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Soyuncu

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's also then weirdly said that during this prolonged absence that he's been 1st class even when not being picked, so who knows what's been happening. I don't think the club are overly happy with him not entertaining a new deal but also not leaving. He's on modest wages too so something odd has happened.

....hard to understand that one!!!

Even when the opportunity arose, he was constantly overlooked on the bench and anyone else would do, and this is now coming from a manager now supposedly eulogizing about his professionality.

Brought him back in when struggling because he needed to play in a certain way, but needed certain personnel. Not surprisingly he broke down, Soyuncu was on a hiding nothing.

Good luck to him wherever he goes, at his best touching world-class, just needs to get that focus back and believe in his manager.

• Like 3

He’s the sort of player that is going to be in and around top teams. He’s got all the attributes to make a very good defender. I think the language barrier and potentially the lack of aggression are the two things that have held him back. 

5 hours ago, Sly said:

He’s the sort of player that is going to be in and around top teams. He’s got all the attributes to make a very good defender. I think the language barrier and potentially the lack of aggression are the two things that have held him back. 

Aggression in a CB is surely one of their main attributes?

Is he better than Faes?

Can he play as a RCB or is Dan/Johnny better suited there?

Is he happy to play 3rd or 4th choice?

Is he really settled, is he married or have a partner in Leicester/UK

How many yes’s? Not everything is just down to Rodgers

Edited by BKLFox

What can a club do if a player refuses to sign a new contract and happy to run it down?  I think this is the new norm for players who want to move to Barcelona, Real Madrid & Atletico Madrid, the Spanish clubs are informing agents and players that they can have their move, but they need to run their contracts down.  Premier League clubs seem to be accepting that this is the new norm, or they don't have the power to stop it.  Cags will go to Atleti, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tielemans ends up at Barca or Real, maybe the Arsenal rumours never had any substance, hence they never made a bid.

Edited by Le Renard

6 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tielemans ends up at Barca or Real, maybe the Arsenal rumours never had any substance, hence they never made a bid.

That's my thinking too. And/or Arsenal knew they had to better any potential Barca/Real deal and couldn't/wouldn't. We'll find out next month, just as we will with Cags. 

Edited by taupe

Wonder if we might be able to do a cut price deal with Atleti this January, if they could now be losing a CB - Felipe, and should have plenty of cash with Cunha going to Wolves for up to €50m. 

£5-10m now is better than nothing in the summer. Not sure they’ll go for it though…

16 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He's had more bad games than good for us, we're never getting the 19/20 Soyuncu back so we're better off with a hungry up-and-comer than whatever he is now.

Yeah, amazed anyone can say he's going to be a *guaranteed* success elsewhere when that good patch of his is increasingly looking like the exception rather than the norm

• Like 2

Any player that has shown even some good games has shown the potential to convert that 'some' into most, or even all - if the conditions are right. I'd guess many/most managers are egotistical enough to believe they can create those conditions and know the magic formula to get the best out of a player. It's not like Cags hasn't shown he can play a bit, it's just that something's clicked his off switch. He's not a lost cause. Not yet anyway. If he's similarly 'not performing in training' at other clubs then maybe there's a case to give up on him, but we've yet to see that. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

This is very reductive for me and doesn't account for X amount of factors but okay!

It's only reductive if you choose to see it as such. Note that I said "if the conditions are right". That is, plural. I'm more than acknowledging that there are a number of factors involved - and not professing to know any of them!

My point is that if someone has shown ability then the ability is there. Actually, I think it's rather stating the obvious! It's not like a club's going to shell out one someone that has shown zero ability. We know Cags can play, we've seen it. So have others. Ergo, it should be of no surprise that another club might think they can find that player in him. Of course it's no guarantee. But then neither is signing any player.    

11 minutes ago, taupe said:

It's only reductive if you choose to see it as such. Note that I said "if the conditions are right". That is, plural. I'm more than acknowledging that there are a number of factors involved - and not professing to know any of them!

My point is that if someone has shown ability then the ability is there. Actually, I think it's rather stating the obvious! It's not like a club's going to shell out one someone that has shown zero ability. We know Cags can play, we've seen it. So have others. Ergo, it should be of no surprise that another club might think they can find that player in him. Of course it's no guarantee. But then neither is signing any player.    

But by that logic any not-very-good player we've had come through our ranks but shown glimpses is good enough to convert that to "all" games? Not that I'm suggesting Soyuncu is on the same plane but if we applied that to Gabor Bori (for example) he'd have a solid Championship career carved out by now. It just completely discounts the idea of form or football entirely.

10 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

But by that logic any not-very-good player we've had come through our ranks but shown glimpses is good enough to convert that to "all" games?

I prefered most to all but, yes, of course it's possible. It doesn't discount form, only suggests that it's, as they say, temporary. If the ability is there then it can be brought out more consistently. That it doesn't happen in every case is obvious but that doesn't negate the possibility. Cags could well find his form elsewhere. I've no idea what's gone wrong but that player we witnessed was no fluke, it wasn't someone in a Cags mask. He has that ability when all his stars are aligned.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I think he could just be lonely, especially if he doesn’t speak the language. Maybe that was the idea with Bringing his mate it originally? 

• Like 3

His time is up here but anyone seriously suggesting that there is little to no evidence that he will be a success at Atleti are conveniently glossing over the fact that he has appeared in both the Bundesliga and PL team of the year in a relatively short career.

His time here has shown that he is a very hit or miss level of performance player but get him full of confidence and settled and ANY club has a genuine very good CB on a free, no brainer if you ask me.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

His time is up here but anyone seriously suggesting that there is little to no evidence that he will be a success at Atleti are conveniently glossing over the fact that he has appeared in both the Bundesliga and PL team of the year in a relatively short career.

His time here has shown that he is a very hit or miss level of performance player but get him full of confidence and settled and ANY club has a genuine very good CB on a free, no brainer if you ask me.

He’s clearly not been the same player for 12 months and I assume the sports psychologist have discussed why.

He always looks happier with Turkey, so I wonder if the language barrier is actually an issue. He’s spent two years in Germany, four years in the UK and now off to Spain. You never see him interacting with other players either, outside of maybe Under when he was with us. 

How many interviews has he given in that time in German or English? I can’t find one. Look at the interviews with Izzet when he joined the Turkish squad and he didn’t speak it, he struggled to integrate with them. 

You can only train a player so much, if you can’t communicate with them.

It does put a strain on the rest of the defensive unit as well, as communication is key. I can’t see that improving in Spain either if this is the issue. 

Maybe Soyuncu has it in his locker physically but mentality he’ll never be top level consistently.

It will be best he moves on, however I think he needs to go home to somewhere like Galatasaray, Besiktas or Fenebache for the good of his career. 

4 hours ago, Sly said:

He’s clearly not been the same player for 12 months and I assume the sports psychologist have discussed why.

He always looks happier with Turkey, so I wonder if the language barrier is actually an issue. He’s spent two years in Germany, four years in the UK and now off to Spain. You never see him interacting with other players either, outside of maybe Under when he was with us. 

How many interviews has he given in that time in German or English? I can’t find one. Look at the interviews with Izzet when he joined the Turkish squad and he didn’t speak it, he struggled to integrate with them. 

You can only train a player so much, if you can’t communicate with them.

It does put a strain on the rest of the defensive unit as well, as communication is key. I can’t see that improving in Spain either if this is the issue. 

Maybe Soyuncu has it in his locker physically but mentality he’ll never be top level consistently.

It will be best he moves on, however I think he needs to go home to somewhere like Galatasaray, Besiktas or Fenebache for the good of his career. 

Graveyard. 

13 hours ago, Sly said:

You never see him interacting with other players either, outside of maybe Under when he was with us. 

Not sure this is true, I can remember Maddison and Chilwell both mentioning how he used to play around being physical with team mates. Doubt if you're an outcast loner who's not intergrated you're running over to Maddison and putting him in a headlock.

Still think there's a cracking player in there but I also think it's time to move him on. Shame that it's fizzled out for him here over the past two seasons, he'd put in some immense performances before then.

I'm curious to see how he does at Atletico- he could just as easily play 3 or 4 games for them and never be seen again as he could end up being their player of the season.

He's got bundles of talent, depends if he can get his head right. I can imagine Brendan has ostracised him but it wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers' comments about his questionable attitude were also true. Either way, he needs to leave Leicester.

• Like 1