Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Arsenal 2-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Better team for half of the first half. Second best for the other 65 minutes.

One dead soft set piece, no surprise there. One harsh, but by the letter of the law fair, penalty. Bizarre VAR check, why did it take so long? Fair as it was in the end, you can't help but feel like they were just watching for as long as possible for a handball to appear. No-one appealed for it live, which I do think is telling. 

Not good enough going forward. Daft decision starting with Nacho on his own and completely ineffectual/pointless subs.

All in all a very frustrating afternoon.

• Like 4

Positives:

- Not a game we expect to win away from home against them in such good form

- Looked decent in possession at times. Managed the ball under pressure quite well

- Looked more solid at the back again. Another very good performance from Amartey

- Looked very good for 15 minutes before half time and but for a world class save and a last ditch tackle, it would have been a very different game

Negatives:

- We're too easy to close a game out against. Arsenal cruised to victory in the end

- N'didi for Mendy and Justin for Pereira was a very strange reaction to going two down. Like for like changes isn't going to swing a fixture or change the impetus when it's needed

- Kelechi as the lone striker does not work. Why we keep trying it is beyond me

- Another set piece goal. Totally free header

• Like 2

Just now, Supergray22 said:

Conclusion. It is not VaR that is the problem, it is the same biased referees using it. Referee on pitch makes a biased decision not having the nerve to go against the big club or just makes a coxk up. Second referee too timid or uses clear and obvious boll.x to not over rule. If nothing else the clear and obvious bull should be binned. It is either right or wrong.  

I think VAR has given more opportunities for the bias to arise.

The ref missed the ball tickling Soyuncu's finger so in the reverse situation (Arsenal handball) he would also have also missed it, therefore giving no opportunity for unconscious bias. Introduce VAR and the incident is then seen, albeit after 300 views from 30 angles! and the opportunity is given for the bias to rear its head.

Absolutely no way we'd have got that penalty against Arsenal at The Emirates. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Positives:

- Not a game we expect to win away from home against them in such good form

- Looked decent in possession at times. Managed the ball under pressure quite well

- Looked more solid at the back again. Another very good performance from Amartey

- Looked very good for 15 minutes before half time and but for a world class save and a last ditch tackle, it would have been a very different game

Negatives:

- We're too easy to close a game out against. Arsenal cruised to victory in the end

- N'didi for Mendy and Justin for Pereira was a very strange reaction to going two down. Like for like changes isn't going to swing a fixture or change the impetus when it's needed

- Kelechi as the lone striker does not work. Why we keep trying it is beyond me

- Another set piece goal. Totally free header

Pre planned changes id of thought? He has a history of that no matter how the games going

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Even Alan Smith. Who over hyped every single thing on arsenal's favour said it was straight at him and he absolutley should be saving that. 

I'd be worried if we had a keeper that couldn't save that.

Outfield players know very little about goalkeeping. Pay attention how after every good save they tend to default to the 'strong hands' comment. Strength of hand is not an attribute that contributes to goalkeeping ability. You won't find it in video game stats and it isn't assessed in the selection of goalkeepers at any level. That's not how wrists work.

The ball came at him at incredible speed. He had a split second to react. It was an absolutely fantastic save. 

It goes in and the same commentators default to 'unstoppable'. 

It's quite something to get your body and hands arranged in the exact form required in a split second. If it flew past the hand you and every other person who hasn't been a goalkeeper calls it unstoppable.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Even Alan Smith. Who over hyped every single thing on arsenal's favour said it was straight at him and he absolutley should be saving that. 

I'd be worried if we had a keeper that couldn't save that.

Outfield players know very little about goalkeeping. Pay attention how after every good save they tend to default to the 'strong hands' comment. Strength of hand is not an attribute that contributes to goalkeeping ability. You won't find it in video game stats and it isn't assessed in the selection of goalkeepers at any level. That's not how wrists work.

The ball came at him at incredible speed. He had a split second to react. It was an absolutely fantastic save. 

It's quite something to get your body and hands arranged in the exact form required in a split second. If it flew past the hand you and every other person who hasn't been a goalkeeper calls it unstoppable.

15 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

I think VAR has given more opportunities for the bias to arise.

The ref missed the ball tickling Soyuncu's finger so in the reverse situation (Arsenal handball) he would also have also missed it, therefore giving no opportunity for unconscious bias. Introduce VAR and the incident is then seen, albeit after 300 views from 30 angles! and the opportunity is given for the bias to rear its head.

Absolutely no way we'd have got that penalty against Arsenal at The Emirates. 

Didn’t they have a goal disallowed last season early on for offside interference on kasper …….surely if the var was biased they wouldn’t have called that ????

Pointless and predictable game, but if it works out on Thursday I’ll be happy.

Arsenal didn’t get out of second gear.

An alternative point, it was a penalty. Maybe they looked at it for so long to decide if it was worthy of a red? For what it’s worth, I’m ****ing sick of VAR and I hate it. 

8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I have played in goal, at a somewhat decent level (not that it matters because it wasnt the level we're talking about). I wouldn't have called it unstoppable. I think any good prem keeper makes that save. Just my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Didn’t they have a goal disallowed last season early on for offside interference on kasper …….surely if the var was biased they wouldn’t have called that ????

That's not a similar situation, like this one?

kdb-handball.jpg

Edited by Vestan Pance

Arsenal were by no means fantastic and I thought we limited them fairly well apart from slack marking from a corner, a penalty and the shot off the woodwork first half. What they did do is move the ball a lot quicker and with more purpose and tempo than we did at any point. Odegaard was excellent for them. We had good moments and grew into it first half, Ramsdale again with a fantastic save. Second half we didn’t offer enough and once (eventually) the penalty went in, that was us done for the afternoon unfortunately. I can understand the Rennes game taking precedent over today, Tyler can scoff at it all he likes. God forbid we have a go for another trophy. Still plenty to be optimistic about even if today wasn’t our day. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I have played in goal, at a somewhat decent level (not that it matters because it wasnt the level we're talking about). I wouldn't have called it unstoppable. I think any good prem keeper makes that save. Just my opinion. 

I just think a lot of keepers would have been rooted to the spot. I think a lot of very good saves get underappreciated by fans, and I'm probably guilty of that as well. 

I was right behind that save today and it happened in a flash. The replay makes it look much more straightforward.

I always remember making a save when I was playing North West counties that I couldn't wait to see back on video. Felt like one the best saves I'd ever made. Was very underwhelmed by the footage! lol

23 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

I thought this, but it’s annoyed me. One pre-planned is ok, but two limits how you can react to the game situation to just one change, and that’s presuming nobody gets injured.

Ricardos coming back from injury and Mendy has hardly played so i imagine it is the case. Its frustrating as in some games it completely swings the tide of momentum 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

In fairness it was a penalty.   Why don't we get to the balm first?

....just looking at the decision, Soyuncu had his arm outstretched trying to get back to cover the goal line, The change of direction when the Arsenal player headed it directed it to where his fingers were!!!

It was not that he motioned to stop the ball, his hand was in that position as the ball came off the head of the Arsenal player. He could not retract his hand quick enough to bring it out of the way. I would have thought if it was intentional he would have followed through with his hand movement as opposed to pulling his hand away when it was too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1