Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Arsenal 2-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

World class save? Nod.E, if I'm correct and I think I know who you are in real life then surely you know better? That isn't a world class save. The save was massively exaggerated as we're his ones earlier in the season at our place. 

Today, that's the bare minimum you expect from a keeper. The ones at our place and especially the freekick.. if he had better positioning he'd have caught it into his hands. 

I'll take the first sentence as a compliment! But stand by my comment. He's a little theatrical, yes, but very often those sorts of scenarios leave a keeper rooted to the spot and the ball sails in. It was a class reaction save. He had a fraction of a second to pull it off. 

On the free kick, it's a highly contended debate around where a keeper should stand and how he should set his wall up. I'd tend to agree with you that occupying one side of the goal to that extent is not the way forward. However, there's a school of thought that it's so hard to get it up and over the wall that it's a 'playing percentages' option, and once he finds himself in that position it's one hell of an effort to get across and tip it over. 

For what it's worth, I haven't even played casually in goal for two years now. So what do I know!

Edited by Nod.E

6 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

We were crap. Don't know what we do in training. Always make the same mistakes. Didnt even seem like we wanted to score. Shit. Crap subs. Ugh. 

Last 25 of the first half was alright. I really like the energy Mendy brings into the team in terms of helping the team to beat the press and move the ball forward. Mendy proactively sought the ball and thus he gave options for us to go up the pitch via the channels (which is what we do all the time and so predictable) and also through the middle (with Mendy providing an alternative route with Madders in support).

We were done as soon as they scored the penalty (by the way, I am convinced that if Amartey did not head it out stupidly into touch and stopped play, VAR would have let it go because it was so hard to pick and they simply would not pull play back after 3 or 4 mins of analyzing once the game has moved on so much).

Then when Ndidi came on, he did ok for his standards, but we lost the energy and route that Mendy provided. Madders also needed to drop down to help out as a result we didn’t have an extra player to pass the ball up to further up the field. This led to the boring sideways don’t know what we are doing football we are known to play in the last year or so.  And yes, we didn’t really showed we even wanted to score.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

I'll take the first sentence as a compliment! But stand by my comment. He's a little theatrical, yes, but very often those sorts of scenarios leave a keeper rooted to the spot and the ball sails in. It was a class reaction save. He had a fraction of a second to pull it off. 

On the free kick, it's a highly contended debate around where a keeper should stand and how he should set his wall up. I'd tend to agree with you that occupying one side of the goal to that extent is not the way forward. However, there's a school of thought that it's so hard to get it up and over the wall that it's a 'playing percentages' option, and once he finds himself in that position it's one hell of an effort to get across and tip it over. 

For what it's worth, I haven't even played casually in goal for two years now. So what do I know!

Yes mate, it was a compliment lol. From what I can remember you used to be a half decent keeper ;) 

I do feel the saves have been exaggerated by the media though.

1 hour ago, Bptiger said:

I have said this many times before , we are the worst team in the league when it comes to ball control, I lost count how many times we played it forward and our player could not shield it or play it to a team mate , we just lost it cold . Did every one notice when we had a great spell in the 1st have that we played direct and through the middle , very little playing side ways or backwards just go up the middle collect the ball turn and go forward , we never done it again in the second half . If we are playing crap type of football it has to be coming from the manager ur he would be changing it . 

Our "first touch" is very often not as good as it should be, this leads to increasing pressure on ourselves and makes our style of play slowed and unnsuccessful. The summer change needs quality first touch players.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FLAN said:

For me, Barnes can only play when we are full strength. In a game where we are hoping to contain, he doesn’t get involved anywhere near enough. He ambles about looking like he might make a press but mostly it’s half hearted. Yea he’s an outlet but he is far too detached from the game for too long 

Yes since his returned fr injury..

He hasn't taken on that responsibility & direction, he had built on before..

5 hours ago, TK95 said:

To me it confirms we've written off the league season

We never looked like we really wanted to get a result today

Which I can live with providing we do have all our eggs in the Albanian basket

Not disagreeing with you...

But players/ manager in this category even with an injiry hit season should never have that in their mind set..

And don't forget ,we have not presented ourselves all season.Maybe from all our games, we have performance wise only delivered average to top ( not excellent 5-7 games.

It's not been the odd downer, but a certain expectation of any PL team is to see your players show spirit,commitment & present the basic skills to your value ratings...whether 1st choice or fringe players..I will always defend & support the team.Give them space of poor form or regular mistakes over long periods,but our lack of spirit, competence, & again not delivering even the basics expected skill sets and mental aptitude since christmas been quite pathetic,we have hardly shown a desire to move themselves forward..Worst for me, though Rodgers

has supported and brought young players forward into the first choice potential...He has not encouraged players like Nelson ,,Leshabella,etc.Not used the strength of motivation, by dropping continual off form, or lazy moments players, and introduced a couple more youngsters.

Nobody can tell me that not trying Benkovic or a couple more like Choudhury after delivering decent performance or he deemed good enough for the subs bench..was a wise descision.

Over the years when we really did have low quality players...They at least damn well fought & tried to deliver basic decent performances..

Probably because our history of fearless foxes,we expect the soul & heart to flow & mirror those of Walsh,Vardy,Elliot ,Izzet...and a few more..Forget Rodgers, it's not the set up, but what our players are not delivering the least of presentations expectations over the longer periods..

I think some games have been better than some will have,but equally true the majority this season individually & team well below we should be expecting despite the mitigating circumstances,.

Though against I can understand the opinions of some of the Rodgers out stance...

• Like 2

Soul destroying watching the team playing away from home these days. 10 yard passing going nowhere fast until we lose possession then repeat. Opposition goalkeepers might as well bring a deckchair and a copy of the Daily Mirror on to the pitch. Lightweight performances over and over again. Different players but same mistakes. No wonder the away support is mainly quiet having to stomach performances like that at Arsenal yesterday

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Soul destroying watching the team playing away from home these days. 10 yard passing going nowhere fast until we lose possession then repeat. Opposition goalkeepers might as well bring a deckchair and a copy of the Daily Mirror on to the pitch. Lightweight performances over and over again. Different players but same mistakes. No wonder the away support is mainly quiet having to stomach performances like that at Arsenal yesterday

Ur 100% correct, we need two midfielders who are not scared to collect the ball and turn and go forward rather than play it backwards all the time , really sick of this backwards and sideways crap 💩 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TK95 said:

To me it confirms we've written off the league season

We never looked like we really wanted to get a result today

Which I can live with providing we do have all our eggs in the Albanian basket

This is utter rubbish. You can’t just switch on and off for different games and expect to do well. You need a winning mentality. 

I just thought it showed how poor we have become when the first half decent team we’ve played for a while turned us over. I don’t think for a minute they were thinking of Thursday. 

And as nice it will be to win that conference league cup, league positions are worth more money to the club. 

So much about comments in this thread I agree with but underlines other issues.

the fact (I’m not suggesting boos) fans clapped the players off at HT despite being doggo and losing, highlights where we are as a fanbase, we are going back into that mindset of being a mid table team, but as long as the players work hard (which they do) that’s enough so claps all round.

The fact as others have alluded to, we seem to be losing interest in the league, is it any surprise the atmosphere is generally poor*?

Hearing Rodgers talk about being brave, yet continuing to play one up front (a player that doesn’t have pace behind the lines and is clumsy), rather then taking the attack to the opponents, again is just demoralising to watch.

*I am aware some would say the atmosphere  is always poor, but there is less chance of fans being passionate when the manager sets up (yet again) IMO another negative system. 

• Like 3

It’s a huge gamble to write off the league in favour of a knock out competition in which we need to still get past Rennes - that won’t be a walk in the park if we concede in the first 20 - and then win three more  games, two of them over two legs, against surprisingly strong ( surprising to me anyway) opposition.  I’m not saying we couldn’t do it but I’d rate it as unlikely given our all-season inconsistency.

The one advantage I foresee is that if we don’t do it by winning a trophy we might be best to have some weekdays off by ducking out of Europe altogether just this once. It seems to have done Arsenal some good and if we’re refreshing the squad in the summer it might be an advantage not to be travelling to the cold far flung reaches of UEFA s Empire on a Thursday night. 

12 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Was watching the Chelsea v Newcastle game earlier and Chalobah virtually pulled Murphy's shirt off his back in the penalty area before tripping him up. The ref didn't give a pen and it went to VAR which after about 2 seconds concluded that despite clear evidence that a foul had been committed that it was no pen. 

Contrast that to the Arsenal pen when they kept looking at more and more frames and different angles so that they could somehow justify giving a pen. The fact that they took so long assessing it shows that logically it wasn't a 'clear and obvious' error from the ref. 

Not saying it's deliberate corruption but there is clearly unconscious bias in favour of the big clubs. 

Did anyone notice in the second half we had a shot can't remember who, the ball appeared to hit Gabriel's arm. A couple of Leicester players appealed and Gabriel put both arms behind his back. No replays from Sky no VAR, no mention of it after. Did I imagine it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

The better team won. Take it on the chin and move on. The season is petering out anyway. European Conference should be our focus now. I fancy us to go all the way.

…..Though I kinda agree it highlights my point above…

How can any fan get excited about any league game remaining, when it appears that our manager is mainly focussing on the ECL?

How the team is set up, the way the players sit back hoping to use Iheanacho as a point to pass too (he’s clumsy and not the pace of others) it’s same old every game.

Better team won. They are taking points at the same rate and man city and arsenal at the moment....they also are only focussed on one competition right now with a very healthy squad. 

One thing I'm a little surprised at ....people slating cags on here big time. Yes been poor most of the season but I thought he was alright. Unlucky with the pen...but other than what wasn't too much of a bomb scare. 

I loved Mendy's passing and willingness to pass forward. I hope he can have a good end to the season. He's technically a great passer of the ball. 

9 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Did anyone notice in the second half we had a shot can't remember who, the ball appeared to hit Gabriel's arm. A couple of Leicester players appealed and Gabriel put both arms behind his back. No replays from Sky no VAR, no mention of it after. Did I imagine it?

Add the fact the encroachment law at penalties was totally ignored!!

29 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

The better team won. Take it on the chin and move on. The season is petering out anyway. European Conference should be our focus now. I fancy us to go all the way.

This is fine but people spend upwards of £100 on going so I can totally Understand their frustration 

9 hours ago, hejammy said:

20220313_222852.thumb.jpg.2b1089b3312b2f946e05b42e9cf90753.jpg

Have the encroaching rules changed? 

....only when it suits their agenda!!!

If you can spend 5 minutes dissecting the intention of a player running back to cover his keeper, you can spend 5 seconds to monitor encroachment. 

The outcome however, with the ball having gone into the net, would have resulted in a retake.