Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Arsenal 2-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

It’s a huge gamble to write off the league in favour of a knock out competition in which we need to still get past Rennes - that won’t be a walk in the park if we concede in the first 20 - and then win three more  games, two of them over two legs, against surprisingly strong ( surprising to me anyway) opposition.  I’m not saying we couldn’t do it but I’d rate it as unlikely given our all-season inconsistency.

The one advantage I foresee is that if we don’t do it by winning a trophy we might be best to have some weekdays off by ducking out of Europe altogether just this once. It seems to have done Arsenal some good and if we’re refreshing the squad in the summer it might be an advantage not to be travelling to the cold far flung reaches of UEFA s Empire on a Thursday night. 

Where you did think we can achieve in the league? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Did anyone notice in the second half we had a shot can't remember who, the ball appeared to hit Gabriel's arm. A couple of Leicester players appealed and Gabriel put both arms behind his back. No replays from Sky no VAR, no mention of it after. Did I imagine it?

Yes it did but his hands were by his side rather than looking like an Istanbul traffic policeman !

VAR look at everything they are supposed to - if there’s nothing to bother with then we aren’t aware 

25 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....only when it suits their agenda!!!

If you can spend 5 minutes dissecting the intention of a player running back to cover his keeper, you can spend 5 seconds to monitor encroachment. 

The outcome however, with the ball having gone into the net, would have resulted in a retake. 

ball goes in and encroachment becomes irrelevant.  Only when the ball is saved and the encroaching player becomes active in the immediate aftermath is it looked at. 

10 hours ago, hejammy said:

20220313_222852.thumb.jpg.2b1089b3312b2f946e05b42e9cf90753.jpg

Have the encroaching rules changed? 

The rule is that if you encroach and affect the play then it's a freekick to the defending team.

So if Kasper saves it and Saka scores the rebound it would be a freekick to Leicester.

But the reality is that if Kasper saves that then it gets retaken anyway because Kasper is off his line.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes it did but his hands were by his side rather than looking like an Istanbul traffic policeman !

VAR look at everything they are supposed to - if there’s nothing to bother with then we aren’t aware 

ball goes in and encroachment becomes irrelevant.  Only when the ball is saved and the encroaching player becomes active in the immediate aftermath is it looked at. 

...I  think you may need to look at this again!!!

An attacking player encroaching, should the ball go in, then it is a retake  if the ball did not go into the goal then indirect free kick.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  think you may need to look at this again!!!

An attacking player encroaching, should the ball go in, then it is a retake  if the ball did not go into the goal then indirect free kick.

It's not. St Albans is correct and there are endlessly examples every season. Arsenal gained no advantage by Saka being that far in the box. 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297433

The VAR can intervene in one of the following instances:

- A clear and obvious error by the on-field match officials relating to goalkeeper movement
- A double touch by the penalty-taker
- Feigning at the point of the kick by the taker
- Encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick

The 2020/21 protocol does not allow for tolerance levels, so if the goalkeeper saves a penalty and his foot is over the goalline then VAR will advise it is retaken.

If the goalkeeper is off his line and the ball hits the post or goes over, it won’t be retaken unless the 'keeper has a material impact on the kick being missed.

For player encroachment in the box, it is now judged on any part of a player’s body that is on the ground when the kick is taken.

Therefore, if any part of the foot is on the penalty area or arc line it is encroachment. The player must still have a material impact on the outcome of the kick.

Confirmed by the laws - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick

• the kick is retaken unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent the goalkeeper or defending player playing the ball, in which case the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team.
Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turkish14 said:

Hie can any fan get excited about any league game remaining, when it appears that our manager is mainly focussing on the ECL?

Although I hate to say it, I can understand if our approach is different versus an in-form Arsenal.

If we don't show up versus Brentford, Palace, Newcastle then I'll be outraged.

That said, the minimum a fan should be able to expect for all the time, money and effort involved in showing up is a committed performance.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

For player encroachment in the box, it is now judged on any part of a player’s body that is on the ground when the kick is taken.

Therefore, if any part of the foot is on the penalty area or arc line it is encroachment.

Ah, but if you look closely you can see that Saks was in fact levitating until the ball was kicked.

Smart.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Performances like this are just becoming the norm under Brendan. No point even whinging about it anymore. Accept it for what it is and enjoy the occasional game where we look up for it 

This. It’s now normal for us to slapped around. To be insulted. To be embarrassed. Why is it ok to accept that ?

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

This is fine but people spend upwards of £100 on going so I can totally Understand their frustration 

That's their choice though. Paying to watch your team doesn't equal expecting to win at places like Arsenal who just spent £150 million. I went to the Emirates in 2018 and we got played off the park. They're flat track bullies. I personally thought we were competitive yesterday. If that Barnes header went in it could of been a different story.

• Like 2

Thought we did alright but were unlucky to concede a soft goal and a soft penalty. We lacked attacking edge, and both Iheanacho and Daka were disappointingly inneffective. I didn't come away thinking we were cr@p though.

I was at the Emirates, sitting in the home stand with an Arsenal supporting friend, so had to keep my trap shut throughout. What a soulless shopping mall of a ground it is. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's not. St Albans is correct and there are endlessly examples every season. Arsenal gained no advantage by Saka being that far in the box. 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297433

The VAR can intervene in one of the following instances:

- A clear and obvious error by the on-field match officials relating to goalkeeper movement
- A double touch by the penalty-taker
- Feigning at the point of the kick by the taker
- Encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick

The 2020/21 protocol does not allow for tolerance levels, so if the goalkeeper saves a penalty and his foot is over the goalline then VAR will advise it is retaken.

If the goalkeeper is off his line and the ball hits the post or goes over, it won’t be retaken unless the 'keeper has a material impact on the kick being missed.

Therefore, if any part of the foot is on the penalty area or arc line it is encroachment. The player must still have a material impact on the outcome of the kick.

Confirmed by the laws - https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-14---the-penalty-kick

• the kick is retaken unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent the goalkeeper or defending player playing the ball, in which case the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the interference was by the attacking team.

.. just for clarification!!!

Screenshot_20220314-093203_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e45b17d43028c9bffd6a6271f4742ec.jpg

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. just for clarification!!!

Screenshot_20220314-093203_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e45b17d43028c9bffd6a6271f4742ec.jpg

Yes and you are ignoring the clarification. 

The team-mate (Saka) doesn't 'offend' - he would offend if he was interfering which he wasn't. He gains no advantage for his team by being past the 18 yard line. 

Same applies if one of our defenders went into the box, keeper saves but it's another defender who clears. 

14 hours ago, LaCiudad said:

The debate in commentary by Sky is authority? No it isn't. 

The referee didn't make a clear and obvious error in real time because the alleged handball wasn't clear or obvious to the human eye or the camera from multiple angles.

VAR is for clear and obvious errors that the ref missed, not ones he was looking at but couldn't possibly see.

If it takes almost 5 minutes and still not a clear decision, then it should be dismissed. Also I think there should be a time limit for VAR decisions, if its not clear and obvious after 2 minutes, then it should be dismissed.

• Like 4

Var should not be one person it should be a panel. 

One person leaves it open to corruption.

Replay it a few times then the panel press a buzzer as to how they interpret it.

Quicker and simpler and no corruption.

Edited by Clever Fox
Predictive text error
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Car should not be one person it should be a panel. 

One person leaves it open to corruption.

Replay it a few times then the panel press a buzzer as to how they interpret it.

Quicker and simpler and no corruption.

Some of the recent decisions maybe indicate a 'touch' of corruption favouring the 'Big' boys

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yes and you are ignoring the clarification. 

The team-mate (Saka) doesn't 'offend' - he would offend if he was interfering which he wasn't. He gains no advantage for his team by being past the 18 yard line. 

Same applies if one of our defenders went into the box, keeper saves but it's another defender who clears. 

...so if all the players were in the 18 yard box but 10 metres away from the penalty spot then it would be ok!!!

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....what therefore, is the point of the law...!!!

I don’t really understand your point 

if an encroaching player affects the kick or the outcome immediately after the kick then it’s a retake or free kick 

that means a ridiculous level of encroachment that affects the kicker or the keeper (ie players being metres inside the box) would trigger intervention from the officials 

9 hours ago, Bptiger said:

I have said this many times before , we are the worst team in the league when it comes to ball control, I lost count how many times we played it forward and our player could not shield it or play it to a team mate , we just lost it cold . Did every one notice when we had a great spell in the 1st have that we played direct and through the middle , very little playing side ways or backwards just go up the middle collect the ball turn and go forward , we never done it again in the second half . If we are playing crap type of football it has to be coming from the manager ur he would be changing it . 

Yes, I noticed it. It was because we had Mendy.

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t really understand your point 

if an encroaching player affects the kick or the outcome immediately after the kick then it’s a retake or free kick 

that means a ridiculous level of encroachment that affects the kicker or the keeper (ie players being metres inside the box) would trigger intervention from the officials 

....why are the players supposed to be standing outside of the box as part of the rule!!!

If taking action relied upon the encroaching player having a direct impact on the kick itself, then players could conceivably stand inside the box at either side so long as they are 9.15 metres away from the ball. Any encroachment by the attacking player such as in this game, shows he is seeking to gain an advantage, should the kick be saved or comes directly back off the post. If the defenders are holding their discipline in those instance, they are being punished twice if you do not monitor these infractions. 

• Haha 1