Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Arsenal 2-0 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The handball may have been viewed from numerous angles because the VAR had to consider if it was deliberate handball and therefore not a genuine play at the ball.

That supersedes any denial of goalscoring opportunity decision. It would also be an argument to say the contact with the hand significantly slowed the ball that Thomas could clear off the line. 

That we are here debating the in’s and out’s of whether it’s a red card or not shows exactly why the time was taken on the decision 

Don't think anyone's really debating it's a red card. It wasn't.

Whichever way you want to cut your cloth it is not clear and obvious either from the point of view of the referee missing it or from the point of view of the actual alleged handball.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

As someone else has just eluded to, Ramsdale has kept them in both games against us this year. 

A lot of people cannot look past their love / hate for Rodgers but it’s getting better in the last 5 games. Not much better, but it’s definitely improving.

Thursday (and hopefully every European game thereafter) is absolute huge for Brendan. He’ll have a fresh Youri & maybe Fofana to call on, so hopefully we’ll get it done. 

Agree with this. Ramsdale's save from Barnes was a good one and kept them in it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

You can say that conclusively? I can't and I've looked back and VAR couldn't either. 2 and a half minutes and 26 replays. If he's looking for a clear and obvious error then surely it doesn't take 26 replays to decide if it was 'clear' and or 'obvious'. Taylor didn't think it was in real time so no, it doesn't 'very clearly' hit his hand. 

Yes. Conclusively. The last angle that they eventually showed to the ref clearly shows the ball deviate in direction slightly after catching his hand. It's harsh but we'd be fuming if it was the other way round and not given.  People moan about VAR but thats the sort of thing it was brought in to spot. I'm more amazed that our utterly incompetent officials actually managed to see it.

• Like 2

Bar 15 mins of Possesion just before ht I thought we were poor. Hoping we’ve got the poor performance put the way today and are better Thursday.

as for the penalty is it really a penalty if it needs looking at 20/30 times, they were gagging to give it! We are far too nice, I hate it, but we need to be like others and make nuggets deals of challenges! We just left opposition help us up! Weak 

could also tell they’d had a week to prepare and us 2 days, it happens this stage of season when still in Europe’s but we have to find a way through it! 

Edited by Lesta2014

5 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

Don't think anyone's really debating it's a red card. It wasn't.

Whichever way you want to cut your cloth it is not clear and obvious either from the point of view of the referee missing it or from the point of view of the actual alleged handball.

They debated the red card on the actual commentary, so there was a debate and they also hear from VAR what’s being considered. 

The referee made a clear and obvious error not to award the penalty in real time. 

It’s exactly what VAR is for. There’s nothing about the offence or handball having to be ‘clear or obvious’ 

Jeez. To all the naysayer's on here... given what's coming up on Thursday, what EXACTLY were you expecting? OK we lost but we didn't get thrashed, as some were expecting. We played some decent football after 20 mins and we may have some decisions incorrectly made against us.

The posters slagging us off for being toothless, having no idea, no plan, players not performing or being lazy. You're just wrong. BR had to keep key players safe from injury or being tired out. Why don't those of you that post such unbalanced and OTT negative views, understand that?

• Like 1

I was hoping for Daka and Nacho but with all the potential on the bench and a possible planned Ricardo swap, we would have to be 2 down to get that.

So my blue tinted prediction, 2 down and a kelechi assisted Daka brace. Barnes or Madders to win it

I go through life being wrong, even when correct

We seem to leave ourselves so open against the break time and time again. We push everyone forward, then our defenders pass it left and right a few times. As soon as play it forward and lose it, we have a break against us with 3-4 opposition players tearing it forward against our terrified back line.

6 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Yes. Conclusively. The last angle that they eventually showed to the ref clearly shows the ball deviate in direction slightly after catching his hand. It's harsh but we'd be fuming if it was the other way round and not given.  People moan about VAR but thats the sort of thing it was brought in to spot. I'm more amazed that our utterly incompetent officials actually managed to see it.

This. Hard but correct. At first I thought it wasn't touched by Soy but the camera angle behind the goal shows, after multiple views that there is a very small deviation in the flight of the ball. Plus he had his arm outstretched as if to stop the ball. I think the reason he didn't get a red was because the touch was more likely to result in a goal than prevent one.

• Like 2

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

We were man marking today - Thomas failed in his marking of Partey 

I'll have to look again, going purely on my awful memory but I'm pretty sure Thomas was one of many not really picking anyone up, which is why I thought we'd gone zonal. Will have to see the goal again.

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They debated the red card on the actual commentary, so there was a debate and they also hear from VAR what’s being considered. 

The referee made a clear and obvious error not to award the penalty in real time. 

It’s exactly what VAR is for. There’s nothing about the offence or handball having to be ‘clear or obvious’ 

The debate in commentary by Sky is authority? No it isn't. 

The referee didn't make a clear and obvious error in real time because the alleged handball wasn't clear or obvious to the human eye or the camera from multiple angles.

VAR is for clear and obvious errors that the ref missed, not ones he was looking at but couldn't possibly see.

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Jeez. To all the naysayer's on here... given what's coming up on Thursday, what EXACTLY were you expecting? OK we lost but we didn't get thrashed, as some were expecting. We played some decent football after 20 mins and we may have some decisions incorrectly made against us.

The posters slagging us off for being toothless, having no idea, no plan, players not performing or being lazy. You're just wrong. BR had to keep key players safe from injury or being tired out. Why don't those of you that post such unbalanced and OTT negative views, understand that?

Why did he put JJ and Wilf on after 60 mins then? 
How was that going to affect the outcome of the game? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Could be wrong here but why, when we've been so much better at defending set pieces recently by man-marking, did we switch back to zonal with inevitable consequences?

It wasn't total zonal. It was a mix of man to man and zonal when Thomas ran in front of the man he was marking and was too far in front to be able to get his head on the ball.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It was at him. If that had been at kasper and gone in people would be calling for his head lol

That was an unbelievable save, and the keeper moved his feet so quickly. Also nobody doubts Kasper is one of the best shot stoppers in world football, but seems very scared to command his box