Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Rennes (A) Pre Match, Thursday 17 March, 5:45 pm

Guest David Oldfields Gate

I think this game will be decided by which side scores the most goals and I for one am looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The concensus is that Rennes will come at us really hard at the start. Not meaning to be a bed wetter but, merely pointing out facts, in 9 of our last 11 away games we've conceded a goal in the first 34 minutes. Within that number we've conceded in the first 15 minutes in 5 games and in the first 26 minutes in 8 games. And one of the only 2 games where we didn't concede early was at Randers, who missed a hatful of chances any decent team would have buried. Makes you realise how grim we've been defensively this season. 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I reckon we see a classic Rodgers overthinking line up. After some decent performances and an almost settled side in the 4 3 3/ 4 2 3 1 I have a feeling he'll change to a back 3/5 in order to try and make us "hard to beat"

Players who were getting comfortable and developing partnerships all of a sudden have to deal with a new position and new partnerships. Rennes 2 or 3 up at the break and Rodgers then reverts back to a 4 at half time.

If we go out Rodgers can blame the players for coming out of the traps too slowly, despite clearly setting them up with a "hold on" mentality from the start.

In all seriousness I'd see it as a massive positive if Rodgers navigates this tie and we go through. First time we've had something to lose in a while - will he revert to type of wetting the bed when the pressure cranks up or will we see a brave performance. We're clearly prioritising this tournament now, so it's all or nothing.

@filbertway read @Sunbury Fox comments, gives you idea of why he may go the 3/5 atb route.

3 back or 4 back, doesn't really matter he needs to find a way to get though this.

Edited by coolhandfox

Interesting to see if the Amartey and Soyuncu partnership continues in full again Thursday/Sunday. If we had confidence in Vestergaard you would be tempted to sit one out and give the other only 60 mins or so. Fofana I think could get 60 mins against Brentford as our saviour. 

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

Rodgers' Leicester career should hinge on this competition. Even legislating for injuries, failure to win this would pretty much render the entire season an abject failure based on trajectory in the league.

Would be great to be the first winners of this and even though we could be a part of it again in the near future, it's likely that it's going to be a competition that gets harder to win as the years go on and teams see it as a more prestigious trophy.

I really do fancy us for it if we navigate Thursday. Vardy and Fofana back would give us every chance for the QF onwards.

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I really do fancy us for it if we navigate Thursday. Vardy and Fofana back would give us every chance for the QF onwards.

Even without those guys we have the strongest squad left in it, yet we're perfectly capable of doing a Leicester and losing. Those 2 back and the return to full fitness of Justin and Ricardo along with the good form of Barnes, KDH, Maddison and even Soyuncu looking a little better, we should smash it. But there's very little to justify the faith that we will.

I must say it is quite hilarious to read you and then read our forums and Twitter feeds, and see everyone literally bricking it and reminiscing the worse disappointments of their clubs. We have a mix, right now of "We gonna do it". We are Rennes, we're gonna go 4-0 up and concede 2 (we did this week-end against Lyon) then lose on penalties, and every way in-between were we win the game but somehow lose the tie at the very last minute... A whole lot of belief, a feeling we're gonna do it, and then the obvious reminder that most of our recent history is "nearly great" or "could have been"

My feeling is that, at some point on Thursday, we will equalise on aggregate... Absolutely no idea what happens next!

On a totally different note, Spudulike, what flag is it on your signature? I have seen quite a few flags in England/Britain with the Breton hermines (the symbol of our region, Britanny, of course)  but I have never seen that one, is it from somewhere local to Leicestershire?

image.jpeg.f7eb20e2b92ebe065e5ceea45bea9ac6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Isn't that the main aim in a football match?

I'm hoping it was an attempt at humour. I too had to read it again and think.

Additionally, if it goes to penalties, the game will be won by the team who scores the most penalties.

Sorry, couldn't help it! lol

• Like 1

Despite what Martin Tyler thinks this competition could and should become one of our most significant challenges of the last few seasons. 

We've had a fall back the last couple of seasons - finishing 5th and still having European football, despite no UCL. 

It's quite obviously all or nothing on the ECL this season, and although Rennes are one of the best sides left in the competition, there will be sides left after this round with a lot more experience of winning European ties than us. 

If we set out to play our usual game then we may concede, but we'll also score and that means they have to score four to knock us out over 120'.

Five at the back in that atmosphere and it's absolute suicide with these lot unfortunately. 

An early goal and we almost kill it... 

On 14/03/2022 at 05:50, Jonaldinho said:

And suddenly this becomes the biggest game of the season. I'm not sure I can take another collapse after blowing the Europa League, then the Spurs and Forest games. 

In the past people will say this is in the bag, but totally agree. Also add to your list the first Napoli game and the West Ham game amongst this year’s collapses.

6 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

I think this game will be decided by which side scores the most goals and I for one am looking forward to it.

That is some crazy off the wall thinking !!

I too a looking forward to it. Should be a dandy !!

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Despite what Martin Tyler thinks this competition could and should become one of our most significant challenges of the last few seasons. 

We've had a fall back the last couple of seasons - finishing 5th and still having European football, despite no UCL. 

It's quite obviously all or nothing on the ECL this season, and although Rennes are one of the best sides left in the competition, there will be sides left after this round with a lot more experience of winning European ties than us. 

If we set out to play our usual game then we may concede, but we'll also score and that means they have to score four to knock us out over 120'.

Five at the back in that atmosphere and it's absolute suicide with these lot unfortunately. 

An early goal and we almost kill it... 

Yeah. But due to the scar we got from the Spurs game, I will be nervous all the way until the final whistle even if we are a goal or two up.

8 hours ago, Allo_Allozh said:

I must say it is quite hilarious to read you and then read our forums and Twitter feeds, and see everyone literally bricking it and reminiscing the worse disappointments of their clubs. We have a mix, right now of "We gonna do it". We are Rennes, we're gonna go 4-0 up and concede 2 (we did this week-end against Lyon) then lose on penalties, and every way in-between were we win the game but somehow lose the tie at the very last minute... A whole lot of belief, a feeling we're gonna do it, and then the obvious reminder that most of our recent history is "nearly great" or "could have been"

My feeling is that, at some point on Thursday, we will equalise on aggregate... Absolutely no idea what happens next!

On a totally different note, Spudulike, what flag is it on your signature? I have seen quite a few flags in England/Britain with the Breton hermines (the symbol of our region, Britanny, of course)  but I have never seen that one, is it from somewhere local to Leicestershire?

image.jpeg.f7eb20e2b92ebe065e5ceea45bea9ac6.jpeg

It's the flag of Leicester City itself.

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison's open goal miss still gives me nightmare vs Napoli. I hope those battle scars are used to right the wrongs, rather than lead us to further heartbreak. 

Haha I'd totally forgotten about this. Was about a minute after they scored as well wasn't it. 

• Like 1

Same back 4 as the last leg 

Ndidi 

Albrighton tielemans kdh lookman 

Daka 

I'd consider going false nine with Maddison up too for this one, but truthfully idk. It's a hard choice this one

Edited by NasPb