Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Rennes (A) Pre Match, Thursday 17 March, 5:45 pm

12 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Lucky for us I can see us sneaking an early goal to kill the tie as we are notorious for starting on the front foot and showing intent......:ph34r:

The problem is, even if we do, Rennes are more than capable of knocking 4 or 5 past us. I think a lot will depend on which Rennes side turn up. I can't see us put out a performance that suffocates them.

I fear that we will sit back and absorb pressure only for them to get 2 goals and us then panic and get battered.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Just got to draw or beat them, if we don't go through....think it will have a negative effect on on remaining games in the EPL, can imagine players will be thinking of their future's.

It's going to be a Make or Break for mentality of our players

You are right of course. I am confident we will do enough to get through. The players will be doubly up for this one. Either way we should enjoy as it’s not the type of competition we can guarantee every year. 👍🏻🦊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

I fancy them to score 4

Will be an interesting night. 

If we get dumped out then sack BR now and start the rebuild for next season as this one will be finished. 

Personally I believe Top has faith in Rodgers and will let him "overhaul" in the summer.

22 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Sadly I think you are right. 

It's a terrifying prospect. 

It's not quite so terrifying now that Congerton has gone. I think the club might have told BR he won't have so much of a say in transfers after the Bertrand and Vestergaard signings.

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Reckon we concede early, equalise just after HT, concede again but hold out, just about... 

given the way we went out of the EL with vardy missing that free header in added time and then Legia missing their pen doesn’t give me much hope of that 

Just now, st albans fox said:

given the way we went out of the EL with vardy missing that free header in added time and then Legia missing their pen doesn’t give me much hope of that 

Maddison's open goal miss still gives me nightmare vs Napoli. I hope those battle scars are used to right the wrongs, rather than lead us to further heartbreak. 

20 minutes ago, K1FOX said:

We nearly always score. Attacking hasn’t been an issue. Which means we’d need to concede 4 to lose. Firm favourites if you ask me

When you consider it like thst it seems we are very much in the ascendancy but I think it all depends on the 1st goal. If they get it relatively early on then I'm not so sure we'll be a shoe in to cause them many problems going forward, I think we could crumble. 

I really hope he has them fired up and focused for Thursday. Any cautious uncertainty and confusion over how he wants us to try and navigate this game cannot be allowed. We aren't good at nervy football like that, we've got to play to our strengths.

The concensus is that Rennes will come at us really hard at the start. Not meaning to be a bed wetter but, merely pointing out facts, in 9 of our last 11 away games we've conceded a goal in the first 34 minutes. Within that number we've conceded in the first 15 minutes in 5 games and in the first 26 minutes in 8 games. And one of the only 2 games where we didn't concede early was at Randers, who missed a hatful of chances any decent team would have buried. Makes you realise how grim we've been defensively this season. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I reckon we see a classic Rodgers overthinking line up. After some decent performances and an almost settled side in the 4 3 3/ 4 2 3 1 I have a feeling he'll change to a back 3/5 in order to try and make us "hard to beat"

Players who were getting comfortable and developing partnerships all of a sudden have to deal with a new position and new partnerships. Rennes 2 or 3 up at the break and Rodgers then reverts back to a 4 at half time.

If we go out Rodgers can blame the players for coming out of the traps too slowly, despite clearly setting them up with a "hold on" mentality from the start.

In all seriousness I'd see it as a massive positive if Rodgers navigates this tie and we go through. First time we've had something to lose in a while - will he revert to type of wetting the bed when the pressure cranks up or will we see a brave performance. We're clearly prioritising this tournament now, so it's all or nothing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison's open goal miss still gives me nightmare vs Napoli. I hope those battle scars are used to right the wrongs, rather than lead us to further heartbreak. 

Yeah those sort of things scar me too. I try to forget but they remain in the background. 

luckily the positives, particularly recently, outweigh the negatives. 

Edited by Supergray22

3 hours ago, K1FOX said:

We nearly always score. Attacking hasn’t been an issue. Which means we’d need to concede 4 to lose. Firm favourites if you ask me

....they are good enough to get 4....!!!

Lovro Majer is a quality player who will pull the strings for them. We will have to be on high alert for their movement outside our box.

• Like 1