Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Rennes (A) Pre Match, Thursday 17 March, 5:45 pm

3 hours ago, Staff said:

Barnes had their full back on strings all game last Thursday, why wouldn't anyone want him starting this game? 

because we are likely to be under even more pressure at their place than we were at ours for the first half an hour and maybe ade is a better option.  Although it was our more reliable right hand side with JJ and Marc who suffered most.

perhaps  barnes coming on as a sub to try and catch them on the break as they tire would be the call in this context. (And ade is fresh) 

in retrospect I would have preferred ade to have played Sunday and have barnes starting fresh this Thursday but that ship has sailed …

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

hello, as I told you, one of our big weak points is our goalkeeper. Our great victory against Lyon paradoxically accentuated this concern. Especially during an astonishing altercation between Gomis and central defender Aguerd (yet reputed to be very calm).

image.thumb.jpeg.8c730c7713c6c5d9b71fa9ea8e800156.jpeg

This dispute underlines two things: the feverishness of Gomis, and the defenders that he does not reassure... This partly explains the "silly" goals that we can concede. Gomis often remains glued to his line, or is badly placed (like on your second goal). He is very rarely decisive. When he goes out, it's often at the wrong time, like on the Lyon penalty for which he is responsible. Finally (I do everything I can to reassure you!), if ever there were to be shots on goal, tell yourself that out of 16 penalties in L1, Gomis did not stop any!
Alright, I got hurt!

• Like 2

Pre-match Press Conference vs Rennes - Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

How's your season going?

“I’m delighted to have played as many games as I have. I knew it would happen, i Just had to be patient. Happy the gaffer has shown faith in me. I’m looking now to helping the team to keep progressing.”

Jump from Championship?

“It was a bit of a step up. It was a great season at Luton, but it’s a different beast in the Prem and in Europe. I’ve been training with the team a lot before going to Luton, but the tempo is much higher in the games in the Prem. You have to be concentrated 24/7. There’s no hiding place at this level.”

First game you remember?

“I can’t remember the exact game but it would have been in League One. The first game I properly remember was against Real Madrid. I walked around the pitch and saw Casillas and Ronaldo. I remember League One fondly. I thought then how amazing it would be to play for the first team in League One. It’s a great feeling.”

England?

“That is a dream of mine in the future to play for England in the future. You have to play well in the Prem and in Europe. I believe there will be a point in the future where I will get in the squad. It’s a massive drive for me. It’s only a positive, the better I play for Leicester. I’m hoping to take that forward.”

Manager says you could be captain?

“That would be a real dream, being here since I was eight. When I came I was in the U23s, so the manager has shown a massive amount of trust in me. For him to say things like that, it gives me great motivation. It makes you want to work so hard for the team. We have a great relationship.”

Rennes first leg?

“We saw they have great quality, and showed that in spells in the game. They score a lot and don’t concede many. It’s good we have a cushion, but we won;t take our foot off the gas. We want to nullify their threats. It’s going to be a different atmosphere at their place.”

Message from Rodgers?

“He’s said to relax. It’s a big game for everyone at the club and the fans. We’re treating it as a massive game. But we don’t want that to be a negative impact. We want to be relaxed out there. We can’t get flustered whether we go one up or one down. We’re favourites in the tournament to go far and we will be taking that forward.”

Learn from first leg?

“We’ve seen they have good individuals. If we make it uncomfortable for them, that’s where we’ll get our opportunities. We saw that with two great goals. The intensity of the Premier League is a lot different to other leagues, and there’s not many teams that can deal with that.”

Playing in Europe?

“It’s something I dreamed of. It’s what you play when you’re a kid on video games. To do it in real life is unbelievable. The atmosphere was amazing in Randers. They're going to travel anyway. It gives it that xtra spice. It’s about taking it about step by step.”

Career going as planned?

“It’s where I expected it to be. I would have hoped it to be sooner. I went on a couple of loans and I’m happy I did that. This is where I want to be. I believe I’m good enough. I say it’s surreal but that’s only because it’s my home club. I want to be playing in Europe every year, which is why we are taking this so seriously.”

Contract?

“It would be great to stay at this club as long as possible. I’ve been here for half of my life. If I play very well, that’s all I can focus. I’m sure there will be talks down the line. I’m just focusing on finishing as high as possible.”

Win Conference League?

“Silverware breeds winning mentality. It's going to be a sportive time at the club. Winning this tournament arns you European football, we are a team with high profile players and we want to be playing in Europe. It’s exciting.”

Playing with Barnes?

“Me and Barnesy came through together. He’s a year above me but we played together a lot, in the Youth Cup and in the Under-23s. I know his game inside out really. I know his strengths, and there are times in the game where I can play to his strengths. If he isolates someone one v one, he can be a massive threat for the team. It works well with me and my left foot, and I can fizz it out and do combination play. There are times when it naturally happens but others where I think he’s had a bit of success so I want to keep giving him the ball because that’s where getting good work. We have a great relationship on and off the pitch.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last minute, Gomis is injured, and absent 8 to 10 weeks, broken finger. Our goalkeeper number 2 is also injured. It is therefore the young Turkish goalkeeper Alemdar, 19, who will replace him. Well, it's getting complicated for Thursday, and for our end of the championship.🤨

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

Last minute, Gomis is injured, and absent 8 to 10 weeks, broken finger. Our goalkeeper number 2 is also injured. It is therefore the young Turkish goalkeeper Alemdar, 19, who will replace him. Well, it's getting complicated for Thursday, and for our end of the championship.🤨

Legia Warsaw also had the same problem when we faced them in the Europa League. Their kid had a brilliant game and survived a couple of mistakes. That was also in an atmosphere where our players wilted. Just like the cup loss to Nottingham Forwst

25 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He is destined for a blinder. Probably save 3 penalties in the shootout.

9 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

Got Ørjan Nyland written all over it

Immediately who I thought of. 

He's gonna have a worldie of a game. 

• Like 3

Pre-match Press Conference vs Rennes - Brendan Rodgers

Second leg away?

“We go into every game to win it. They will probably come out as they have to make up two goals. We have to defend. It’s not different to most games. We know we have to be strong. You have to make sure you are together. We can cause them a problem when we go forward.”

Their threats in attack?

“It shows the level we were at to limit them to a few efforts at goal, they are the second highest scorers in France. We have to defend collectively with strength in set-piece moments. Then we know we can score goals as well.”

New contracts?

“It’s something the club will be talking to the likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and I know he is very committed and wants to be here. Talks have opened with his people. He’s still got a lot more development to take place and he loves playing here. Any other ones I’m not aware of at the moment.”

Dewsbury-Hall for England?

“Firstly, he's just broken into the Leicester team. Things get fast tracked. He’s looking to establish himself as a PL player. There is potential there down the line. He’s got a real good idea of the game and real good energy. He has the right attributes, but he needs experience. There’s no doubt that what you would look for in an international player, technique, agility, taticalit understanding, he has these qualities. If he can show that consistently over the next few years, he will be on the radar"

Team news?

“The players were available at the weekend, and Fofana will come into the squad. We’ll see if he can get some minutes. You have to put them into competitive games, because there’s not so many U23s games. Hopefully Wesley will be able to play some part. Some of the guys will come back into it.”

Win the competition?

“When we got our heads around missing out on the Europa League, this became our focus. Our concentration is winning this second leg. We may have to suffer a bit in Rennes, but we know with our quality we can get through. That will be a quarter-final and we have experience of winning cup ties. It will give us extra motivation to go further.”

Rennes flying high?

“Clearly they’re doing very well. It would have shone a torch on our performance to keep a clean sheet when they score four away at Lyon. Let’s show we can be a serious contender. All of the teams from this point will be good teams. It’s about showing our A game.”

Intensity?

“It’s important you continue to play your game. It’s important to manage the ball, you can’t be careless. We have to bring the intensity and we saw that in the first leg. It’s bringing that same mentality from the Premier League. Being strong, being resilient. We know that gts us results. It's a two legged games you have to play with calmness as well, especially if you go one goal behind. Keep your structure.”

Atmosphere?

“It’s great for a player to be in stadia with a great atmosphere. They’re great in the Premier League as well so that prepares you. It’s great to go away to these other countries and sample it."

Manage Fofana?

“Especially for a young player, so you’re trying to manage his expectation, he’s not going to be at the level for a period of time. I’ve been so impressed with him, his intensity to get back, his drive and determination. We have to manage that. They want to play every minute of every game. He will have a big contribution to make but we have to tread carefully, and get him through to the end of the season, and then get a good pre-season, and then back to that high level."

Fofana improved?

“I think he will be better for it. He gained on his physicality, he’s filled out and done a lot of work off the field. That experience and that little bit of frustration of not playing will give him even more determination. I’ve worked with lots of top young players and he’s on that path. We just need to be careful with him and I’ve no doubt he will get back to an even greater level than before.”

Conference League prestigious?

“Probably over the coming years it will be taken more seriously. When you’re a coach, we weren’t looking at dropping down, especially being top of the group going into our last game. You look at the prestigious teams in the competition, and being able to be the first team to win it. Traditionally there were three tournaments growing up. This can be that. You only need to name the history around the teams in there. It would be a privilege to be the first to win it.”

They scored two early goals at the weekend?

“They started well in the home game against ourselves and we would expect that away. It’s something we have to be ready for. I’d seen the game at the weekend and they scored very good goals. It’s that combination of movements and good technical players. We’re fully aware of the strengths they have. They will be aware of ours. I know we can play better. We know we are going to have to endure tough moments in this game.”

Ward?

"He's had an operation on his knee to clean up his meniscus. He had that yesterday. So he's out for a number of weeks. It's something he's tried to play through. I've known with Danny since I've been here, he trains everyday, he pushes Kasper. He has been a loyal and supportive number two. It's unfortunate for us and for Wales. He couldn't carry on. It was a clean up operation for him and that's why you've not seen him. It will probably be towards the end of the season."

Replacement for Congerton?

“It’s something we’re looking at with the club. Lee did a fantastic job and brought in some fantastic players and set up some processes for us that will help going forward. He’s had the opportunity to go into a different role, a role with a lot more influence and an opportunity to go back abroad again and work for a fantastic club. We wish him the best. We will look to get someone else in that allows us to keep moving forward and keep the recruitment going, which has been at a really good level for a number of years. We’ll look to bring someone into that position. The club is going through that process now."

Congerton departure affect summer transfers?

“No, not really. The club continues with that.”

Involved in search for Congerton replacement?

“Like in all the processes, I will have a say in it. The club is most important and ultimately all the decisions will be made in the best decisions of the club. The club have always included me in every decision as part of the process. As a manager you like to recommend and give your opinion. The club is run very successfully, Susan does a brilliant job in terms of making sure the dynamics of the club are working well. She will lead on that process with Jon, who does an excellent job in his sporting director role. We will come up with the best solution.”

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

A little memory of when we played Arsenal in the Last 16 of the Europa League three years ago... We went down 1-0 early before scoring three and winning the home leg 3-1 (:dry:)

But mostly, now that we are done with Covid, empty stadiums and secluded atmospheres, this is what Roazhon Park looked and sounded like, and the way it should sound like on Thursday if things start going well for us... Whether you win or lose the game and the tie, away fans will be in for a serious treat in terms of noise and  atmosphere

Sadly, our players will disappear in that kind of atmosphere. We have form for this. They are a very nice bunch of lads but lack the grit and bottle such as that displayed by Atletico last night. I'd still be concerned if we were 4-0 from the first leg. 

• Like 1

Closer to the game it gets the more my faith is evaporating. We've kept 2 away clean sheets all season, Millwall and Burnley. 

Every high stakes came we've played against a noisy crowd we've not turned up in at all. Villa in the LC, Legia, Napoli, Liverpool in the LC and Forest. We conceded 23 shots away to Randers; Rennes are streets ahead ability-wise.

• Like 1

Like many others on here, I see this game as the acid test of this team's fighting spirit - or 'bottle' if you like.

They've shirked so many pressure-packed games like this in the past, Forest being just the latest, that I can't help but fear the worst - even with a 2-0 lead.

It's time for Rodgers and his players to finally change the narrative and show that they have grit and strength of character as well as talent.

Lose this tie and this season goes down the pan as a total shambles.

Win it - by whatever means - and we get to enjoy it for at least a few more weeks. COYF.

• Like 3

Il y a 1 heure, Roazhon a dit :

Dernière minute, Gomis est blessé, et absent 8 à 10 semaines, doigt cassé. Notre gardien numéro 2 est également blessé. C'est donc le jeune gardien turc Alemdar, 19 ans, qui le remplacera. Bon, ça se complique pour jeudi, et pour notre fin de championnat.🤨

Ou au contraire, ça va nous arranger. Alemdar est déjà au niveau de Gomis et même meilleur dans le domaine aérien. Salin revient après la trève internationale.

Ça facilite le choix de notre coach. Pour moi, Gomis n'est mentalement pas au niveau pour notre club.

Edited by Roazhon Da Viken