Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Rennes 2-1 LCFC (2-3 Agg) Post Match Thread

13 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

It's actually not said enough how James Justin is a bit of a shit defender. Since coming back from injury, his mistakes have led to a fair few goals, and it could be argued that both goals today he could have done better. He's excellent as an athlete and going forward but he really needs to defend better. 

He was like that when he first came into the side. Give him time.

Vardy or Daka play in that game and I actually think we win on the night.

We looked superb on the counter but that style of play doesn't suit Iheanacho. Barnes, KDH and Lookman all carried a threat in the game.

Amartey should have scored that sitter as well.

As much as I thought we were largely outplayed in the middle of the park, I thought in terms of chances that we edged it. Over two legs I thought we deserved to go through. Rennes, 20 minutes aside, were poor in Leicester whereas I thought we carried a greater threat in Rennes.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

He was like that when he first came into the side. Give him time.

I like Justin but the stick Castagne gets when he rarely makes errors compared to Justin is massively unfair.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

The main reason we won was that Soyuncu was ill. 

Really? Because the pass he made in the first leg was one of the major reasons we got through too...

10 hours ago, stu said:

Bruno Genesio : « Quand on organise une compétition européenne, il faut l'organiser dans les mêmes conditions que les autres, sinon c'est inutile. Leicester est peut-être plus attractif que Rennes pour un quart de finale.

Accusation de corruption. Très salé.

Once again, if we examine the history of Rennes matches against English clubs, there is reason to ask questions, and in the end to say Enough! You have to look back historically to understand the context.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

Once again, if we examine the history of Rennes matches against English clubs, there is reason to ask questions, and in the end to say Enough! You have to look back historically to understand the context.

What questions? 

Guest David Oldfields Gate
12 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

I take it a fair few left on 80 minutes to beat the traffic :giggle:

Annoying hold back which didn't seem to serve any purpose.

32 minutes ago, frakenfox said:

But we didn't win. And Soyuncu played when we did.

We won on aggregate ... you know what I mean. 

32 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Really? Because the pass he made in the first leg was one of the major reasons we got through too...

The first leg with a massive home advantage ?  ..  the second leg was very very different ..  and you know what I mean too. 

18 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

I honestly don't think you can feel that hard done by. I think maybe one of the handballs possibly would have been given by VAR but then again they don't like to overturn the referees decision and he didn't think it was. VAR would absolutely have given the red card though on Barnes, disgusting challenge.

Overall I felt your team cause their own problems. You had 5 shots on target over 2 legs, and bar the opening 20 mins in the 1st leg we were the better team. Last night we were very comfortable until you got the 2nd goal, we should have put the game to bed in the 2nd half when we wastes 2 very good counters with 2-3 players in space but for a poor pass.

Overall I think you got too worked up as a team and we got the job done. Terrier and Laborde were very disappointing but Tait, Majer and Truffert were very good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What questions? 

To be fair, the game yesterday is not one where the referee really is to blame (although it felt a bit like he lost track of the game after being knocked on the head), but we do have a pretty incredible history of being ripped off by the UEFA every time we play an English team... I guess the coach, the fans and some other people at the club are feeling like the coin always fall on the same side...

Plus, no-one involved in a game with such emotional intensity (Those last few minutes were exhausting for all of us I believe) should be made to speak publicly about their experience less than 20 minutes later. I'm sure if you look at Genesio's pre-game press conference for the return of Ligue 1 this week-end, you'll find he will be much more measured already about what happened...

Edited by Allo_Allozh

25 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

Ok, but that’s historical and no basis for last night.

What actually happened at the game yesterday that gives any reason for him to come out and say this?

You should have been down to 10 men, so :dunno:

4 minutes ago, stu said:

Ok, but that’s historical and no basis for last night.

What actually happened at the game yesterday that gives any reason for him to come out and say this?

You should have been down to 10 men, so :dunno:

Has anyone got a clip of the tackle? At the time I thought it was a pretty bad tackle but no bad intent, he gets a bit of the ball and a lot of the foot... The BT guys called it an orange yellow and I would agree with them on that... I guess the VAR could have decided otherwise (although difficultt to say it was a clear an obvious mistake by the ref) but then again, if the VAR had been available... :dry:

Same about the "handball" incident in our penalty area... I heard the roar from the away end and saw the ball was near someone's arm, but I never got to see a replay...

Edited by Allo_Allozh

17 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

English clubs have felt that way against Spanish & Italian teams in the past, so a little paranoia seeps in your thinking for example the Griezmann dive outside the box when Leicester played Atletico Madrid in the champions league QF.  Sometimes you lose against teams who are better at bending the rules and their game management is very unsporting, Chelsea seem to be the best at it in the Premier League.

Les clubs anglais ont ressenti la même chose contre des équipes espagnoles et italiennes, alors une petite paranoïa apparaît dans votre raisonnement, par exemple le geste de Griezmann en dehors de la surface de réparation, quand Leicester a joué contre l'Atletico Madrid dans le quart de finale de la Ligue des champions.  Parfois, vous perdez contre des équipes qui sont meilleures pour contourner les règles et leur gestion du jeu est très anti-sportive, Chelsea semble être le meilleur à ça dans la Premier League.

4 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

Has anyone got a clip of the tackle? At the time I thought it was a pretty bad tackle but no bad intent, he gets a bit of the ball and a lot of the foot... The BT guys called it an orange yellow and I would agree with them on that... I guess the VAR could have decided otherwise (although difficultt to say it was a clear an obvious mistake by the ref) but then again, if the VAR had been available... :dry:

Same about the "handball" incident in our penalty area... I heard the roar from the away end and saw the ball was near someone's arm, but I never got to see a replay...

Football is opinions, for someone it is a red and for others it is a yellow!  I know I would be a bit p***ed off(en rogne) with the handball, if it had happened to Leicester.

P.s. Why is it so expensive to buy tickets for European games at Rennes?

6 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Football is opinions, for someone it is a red and for others it is a yellow!  I know I would be a bit p***ed off(en rogne) with the handball, if it had happened to Leicester.

P.s. Why is it so expensive to buy tickets for European games at Rennes?

Generally, it has got ridiculously expensive to go and watch any game in Rennes over the last few years, for non-season-ticket holders at least (although STH had to pay full price for yesterday’s game too) … I only go back to Brittany a few times a year so I always try to catch at least one game when I am there… I paid €30 for a pretty basic ticket to watch the first leg of our European qualifier against Rosenborg back in August!

It sort of happened a few years ago, prices were on the rise and then we had that good European run leading to the Arsenal game. Someone at the club worked out that we had a very passionate crowd and that they could just milk them happily as they’d still sell 20-25,000 tickets and make a lot of noise… But ultimately, I guess we’re heading the way English did in the 2000s when they priced the fans out of the stadiums.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I can't believe how many people would let him go at the end of the season or want him moved on, he's a great player IMO. Can be one of our better players when on form. Makes a real difference having his running power in the side to stretch the game when he's on it. 

Probably because he's very injury prone and bar an excellent spell in his first handful of games and then the same around March/April, he's not done a lot. Any player who gets injured here regularly, if we can sell them we should. We break players and if we can move them on before we are lumbered with them then maybe we can get new players in who can cope with the way they are handled for a decent amount of time before they eventually succumb. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably because he's very injury prone and bar an excellent spell in his first handful of games and then the same around March/April, he's not done a lot. Any player who gets injured here regularly, if we can sell them we should. We break players and if we can move them on before we are lumbered with them then maybe we can get new players in who can cope with the way they are handled for a decent amount of time before they eventually succumb. 

Hes not been the attacking threat we thought he is but he's far better defensively than Ricardo and Justin. The stats demonstrate that we concede less when he plays too.

29 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

The BT guys called it an orange yellow and I would agree with them on that...

Tbh, I thought that was more of a joke than a serious comment! The co-commentator (Robbie Savage?) was asked if he thought it a red but he didn't reply... so the commentator remarked "orange"

Edited by frakenfox
was it Sav?

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes not been the attacking threat we thought he is but he's far better defensively than Ricardo and Justin. The stats demonstrate that we concede less when he plays too.

Yeah I'd agree with that, up until a couple of high profile gaffs he made that led to goals earlier in the season he's pretty solid defensively. I expect better though and he's another thst just seems to always be carrying injuries even when not completely ruled out for a period of time. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Vardy or Daka play in that game and I actually think we win on the night.

We looked superb on the counter but that style of play doesn't suit Iheanacho. Barnes, KDH and Lookman all carried a threat in the game.

Amartey should have scored that sitter as well.

As much as I thought we were largely outplayed in the middle of the park, I thought in terms of chances that we edged it. Over two legs I thought we deserved to go through. Rennes, 20 minutes aside, were poor in Leicester whereas I thought we carried a greater threat in Rennes.

Opening line of the 2021-22 season review...

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I honestly don't think you can feel that hard done by. I think maybe one of the handballs possibly would have been given by VAR but then again they don't like to overturn the referees decision and he didn't think it was. VAR would absolutely have given the red card though on Barnes, disgusting challenge.

Overall I felt your team cause their own problems. You had 5 shots on target over 2 legs, and bar the opening 20 mins in the 1st leg we were the better team. Last night we were very comfortable until you got the 2nd goal, we should have put the game to bed in the 2nd half when we wastes 2 very good counters with 2-3 players in space but for a poor pass.

Overall I think you got too worked up as a team and we got the job done. Terrier and Laborde were very disappointing but Tait, Majer and Truffert were very good. 

They remind me of Leeds. Pacey and aggressive and exciting to watch, but in reality don't create a great deal.

• Like 1