Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Rennes 2-1 LCFC (2-3 Agg) Post Match Thread

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

There was absolutely nothing in that Vestergaard challenge and even with var would never have been given.

Not staying it’s stonewall… But that’s clearly an elbow and a face… a proper « could have been » . But as I said, the regrets are not truly in the refereeing decisions, they are on what we should have done better

C2A59018-2332-494D-B3F6-CEFD7A40C831.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Allo_Allozh said:

Not staying it’s stonewall… But that’s clearly an elbow and a face… a proper « could have been » . But as I said, the regrets are not truly in the refereeing decisions, they are on what we should have done better

Incidents like this are tough to analyse. I can see why as a Rennes fan you feel aggrieved by it. I probably would too. But I do think it’s relevant to remember that Vestergaard is 6ft 4” so he will always be towering above opposition players. I don’t know how tall your man is there but I’d imagine having watched he’s no more than 5ft 11” so jannick he would be coming up to Jannick’s shoulder anyway. He can’t make his arms disappear is what I’m saying I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

In my opinion it the type of decision where in England anyway var will uphold the referees decision. 

So if the ref gave it var wouldn't have overruled and if he didn't give it then it wouldn't have been given. Glad we didn't get to find out though. 

• Like 2

Even aside from his goal, I thought Fofana was MOTM. He stepped in and snuffed out a few attacks, especially first half.  It's fantastic He's back.

Also up there were Big Dan, Kasper and KDH, who ran himself into the ground.

Luke T had a tough evening, but it was great experience and he will learn not to sell himself to that extent. He ran and ran.

We missed Wilf when he went off. One of his better games.

And Youri, whilst not setting the game alight, put in a tremendous shift.

Bravo.  :appl:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

Well, that was close for us... As expected, we lost that game by pretty much gifting you that 2-0 goal in Leicester, not tonight... We should probably have gone out a bit earlier, but credit to Leicester for coming back for the second half with the intention to play, while it felt it was "parking the bus and counter" after the 1-0... I think that's what got you the tie eventually, as it took us a long time to get on the front foot again...

The final minutes would have been a different story with the VAR , without a doubt... The handball would probably have been given but I feel the elbow in the face of Guirassy a few minutes earlier was a much more obvious incident... But then, again, it was up to us to not make the mistakes we did earlier. We can moan at the referee (and we will) but we put ourselves in that position

Anyway, I thought it was a good tie all in all, with fine football and some proper meaty stuff from both ends (surprised there hasn't been a Rennes either way over that tie) and it was great to talk to you here, not all fan bases/forums are as welcoming (very few are in fact).

Good luck for the rest of the tournament and the season

Good luck to you and Rennes too :D

Very competitive game. Just what European football should be about. 

12 minutes ago, Nannypig7 said:

Love this 😍

8C80CC0C-5FDA-407B-A745-FDF8554D6FED.jpeg

Love it. What did Vestergaard get booked for lol

I'm still not convinced. Vesty jumps up with his arms below his shoulder line and wins the ball. The rennes player unable to be quick enough and jump high enough ends up nodding into vest's elbow. Call it 50/50 challenge that vesty wins. No penalty for me (but than I could be accused of being biased).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

Well, that was close for us... As expected, we lost that game by pretty much gifting you that 2-0 goal in Leicester, not tonight... We should probably have gone out a bit earlier, but credit to Leicester for coming back for the second half with the intention to play, while it felt it was "parking the bus and counter" after the 1-0... I think that's what got you the tie eventually, as it took us a long time to get on the front foot again...

The final minutes would have been a different story with the VAR , without a doubt... The handball would probably have been given but I feel the elbow in the face of Guirassy a few minutes earlier was a much more obvious incident... But then, again, it was up to us to not make the mistakes we did earlier. We can moan at the referee (and we will) but we put ourselves in that position

Anyway, I thought it was a good tie all in all, with fine football and some proper meaty stuff from both ends (surprised there hasn't been a Rennes either way over that tie) and it was great to talk to you here, not all fan bases/forums are as welcoming (very few are in fact).

It was a feisty, excellent European cup tie and I always feel you need two decent teams to make a great match, or set of matches.

What are the hopes for the future? Keep your players and push on in the league and Europe? Now I've calmed down I hope you guys qualify for the champions league. 

• Like 1

Felt we were coasting until they made it 2-1, in fact we looked more likely to score than them. But thereafter it was horrendous. But we somehow saw it out, with old Lurch finally coming good. The team showed great character at the end there, especially considering how many of our best XI were missing in the final stages.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Allo_Allozh said:

Anyway, I thought it was a good tie all in all, with fine football and some proper meaty stuff from both ends (surprised there hasn't been a red either way over that tie) and it was great to talk to you here, not all fan bases/forums are as welcoming (very few are in fact).

As a club I think Rennes earned massive respect on here. A very good team, I think the antics today were a bit much, and maybe why you didn't get through. But that was an amazing atmosphere to create and throughout both ties the fans of your club earn massive respect.

The final few minutes were agony. My nerves have only just settled down.

Delighted to be in the quarter finals. For once we held out under constant pressure till the final whistle - just! - but it really shouldn’t have come to that. At 1-1 we were in complete control, playing well and creating openings. Then after they scored we went to pieces, lost our shape and couldn’t keep the ball, sat deep and just invited wave after wave of pressure.

Justin was at fault for both goals and Thomas had a nightmare evening. Fofana though was a godsend. Let’s not kid ourselves. Without him - and that benevolent Greek ref - we would be out.

• Like 1