Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Rennes 2-1 LCFC (2-3 Agg) Post Match Thread

Thought Ihenacho proved his worth …beautiful run and pass to Barnes which should have been 1-1 in first half - he’s always involved in key moments it’s a simple and stark fact ignored by people who over study stats and constantly look for failings …

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I'm still not convinced. Vesty jumps up with his arms below his shoulder line and wins the ball. The rennes player unable to be quick enough and jump high enough ends up nodding into vest's elbow. Call it 50/50 challenge that vesty wins. No penalty for me (but than I could be accused of being biased).

You’re right, no way a penalty. If anything face to elbow. Natural challenge and no foul. 

Well that is just bloody brilliant and absolutely massive after such an absolutely poo season - biggest game since the cup final and they did so so well - still loads of big players out and the absolute beast that is fofana playing after zero minutes since that injury - they dug in unbelievably well against a team that turned psg over 2-0 in that stadium earlier this season and I salute our boys  - worked their arses off to a man - proud of that one - this club never stops amazing me - we are so lucky to be part of it - after the season of horrible luck and plenty of utter tosh that we have had what a bloody performance that is - get in there - love our club 

• Like 2

I'm proud of our audience, it's been about 3-4 years since the atmosphere became fantastic. The big historic French clubs (with titles, all that) are used to calling us losers, and will not hesitate to do so tonight! But all the oddities that Rennes has experienced against English clubs (arbitration, but not only, UEFA too) may end next year if we are still Europeans! Let's say that Breton anger (but also the opinion of observers) comes from an accumulation of questionable stuff during the last European competitions. Our leaders must stop being nice, in current football, it does not work.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Good luck to you and Rennes too :D

Very competitive game. Just what European football should be about. 

Love it. What did Vestergaard get booked for lol

The Ref needed one more for ‘UNO’.

4 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

I'm proud of our audience, it's been about 3-4 years since the atmosphere became fantastic. The big historic French clubs (with titles, all that) are used to calling us losers, and will not hesitate to do so tonight! But all the oddities that Rennes has experienced against English clubs (arbitration, but not only, UEFA too) may end next year if we are still Europeans! Let's say that Breton anger (but also the opinion of observers) comes from an accumulation of questionable stuff during the last European competitions. Our leaders must stop being nice, in current football, it does not work.

Should have been a red card for the tackle on Barnes, that wasn't particularly nice.

54 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Also, in the interest of balance. Vestegaard was ****ing brilliant. 

It was so hectic when he came on it was understandable to not really notice him.

When it all calms down and people can watch back then yes you're spot on, he really was the player I thought we we getting when we signed him, huge 20 minutes from him, could be the making of him here

• Like 3

Génésio, coach of Rennes (he perfectly sums up this match, the previous one, and incidentally, before he coached our other bizarre matches against English clubs. It's up to us to make a name for ourselves!) :
"The first feeling is disappointment because if there is a team that deserved to go to the quarter-finals in both games, it was us. Once again, we lacked a bit of maturity. In our little weak time, we conceded a goal from a set piece. We lacked efficiency because we had the chances to score the third goal and take them to extra time.
And then, we missed the VAR. When we organizes a European competition, we have to organize it under the same conditions as the others. Otherwise it's useless, it's better not to do it.
In both matches, we are short of at least one penalty. It would have changed a lot of things. I don't want to overwhelm the referee even if I think it's a bit too much in the same direction for it to be just chance but above all we have to play this competition under the same conditions than the others. There are several contrary decisions over the two games, at least three.
Maybe Rennes is a club less attractive than Leicester for a Conference League quarter-final. It's up to us to write our history by scoring twice as many goals as the opponent to qualify.
Despite the elimination, I especially want to congratulate my players. We showed a beautiful face.

I hope we will learn. There is a famous President, who is no longer there, and who once said "I understood". We also need to understand.

When you try so hard and you are not rewarded, of course there is frustration and anger but we have to move on. We can't go back unfortunately. We have to move on. We have to recover and prepare for the end of the championship if we want to relive this kind of evening at Roazhon Park.

Honestly, it was an amazing evening. We would have liked to reward our public with a qualification. I have rarely seen atmospheres like these. In Lyon, there were some in the big parties but with 60,000 people. Making so much noise with 30,000 people for the duration of the match, we have to give them a big thumbs up. »

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Home support was impressive. But imagine how much more noise their fans would make if they had clappers!

Good to hear our supporters in the stadium at the end and the players reactions in front of them. 

They could have the lead guy on the platform at the front clapping into a megaphone to get the crowd going

Guest Chocolate Teapot
22 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

Génésio, coach of Rennes (he perfectly sums up this match, the previous one, and incidentally, before he coached our other bizarre matches against English clubs. It's up to us to make a name for ourselves!) :
"The first feeling is disappointment because if there is a team that deserved to go to the quarter-finals in both games, it was us. Once again, we lacked a bit of maturity. In our little weak time, we conceded a goal from a set piece. We lacked efficiency because we had the chances to score the third goal and take them to extra time.
And then, we missed the VAR. When we organizes a European competition, we have to organize it under the same conditions as the others. Otherwise it's useless, it's better not to do it.
In both matches, we are short of at least one penalty. It would have changed a lot of things. I don't want to overwhelm the referee even if I think it's a bit too much in the same direction for it to be just chance but above all we have to play this competition under the same conditions than the others. There are several contrary decisions over the two games, at least three.
Maybe Rennes is a club less attractive than Leicester for a Conference League quarter-final. It's up to us to write our history by scoring twice as many goals as the opponent to qualify.
Despite the elimination, I especially want to congratulate my players. We showed a beautiful face.

I hope we will learn. There is a famous President, who is no longer there, and who once said "I understood". We also need to understand.

When you try so hard and you are not rewarded, of course there is frustration and anger but we have to move on. We can't go back unfortunately. We have to move on. We have to recover and prepare for the end of the championship if we want to relive this kind of evening at Roazhon Park.

Honestly, it was an amazing evening. We would have liked to reward our public with a qualification. I have rarely seen atmospheres like these. In Lyon, there were some in the big parties but with 60,000 people. Making so much noise with 30,000 people for the duration of the match, we have to give them a big thumbs up. »

What a load of shite. Better side over two legs? You had four shots on target over two legs.

And how is he moaning about var? Var should have sent one of your players off.

Sour sour grapes from him.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

28 minutes ago, Roazhon said:

Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make, but just like to say that was a brilliant match, you've got a great team and fantastic support and wish you all the best for future. Cheers 🍺

• Like 4