Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Rennes 2-1 LCFC (2-3 Agg) Post Match Thread

3 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Positives.

We're through.

KDH and Amartey were outstanding.

Fofana unscathed and stood up like a leader.

Negatives.

Tielemans was yet again a complete disgrace.

Justin was yet again shocking defensively, every goal came down his side.

We looked very good for 20 minutes in the second half...But was average at best for the rest.

You’re only saying Youri is a ‘disgrace’ cos he’s gone from world class & carrying this team, to a bit average. Relax.

Justin did fine. Their left side was very very strong. Definitely at fault for the first goal though. 

Their 2nd goal was excellent. It happens. He actually got a foot in and was a little unlucky with a deflection.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ttfn said:

One of the most entertaining matches we’ve had in ages. 

Rennes are a very good side, beating them over 2 legs is a great result. Once again Kasper comes up trumps in a big European game.

agree ...wouldn't mind poaching a couple of there players.. one of the centre backs, that majer in midfield and that young winger from the 1st leg

Our team ,bar Schmeichel, was pretty young.  Albrighton was the old head.   Was Amartey the oldest player?  Was Tielemans the most experienced in  terms of appearances

Justin, Fofana, Thomas and KDH don't have that many appearances between them.  

Great job.

• Like 3

It's actually not said enough how James Justin is a bit of a shit defender. Since coming back from injury, his mistakes have led to a fair few goals, and it could be argued that both goals today he could have done better. He's excellent as an athlete and going forward but he really needs to defend better. 

Our effort is outstanding, but we were very very lucky. Losing Marc and Wilf and not having enough subs was not good, and not sure why Hamza didn't come on instead of Maddison, it wasn't his kind of game, never mind at least we are through.

• Like 4

Great result in the end but those last few minutes we played some of the most brain dead football I've seen. We had about 3-4 free kicks and just kicked the ball back to Rennes on every occasion, so they could attack us again and again. Just baffling. 

• Like 2

Just now, FoxyJim1987 said:

It's actually not said enough how James Justin is a bit of a shit defender. Since coming back from injury, his mistakes have led to a fair few goals, and it could be argued that both goals today he could have done better. He's excellent as an athlete and going forward but he really needs to defend better. 

Our effort is outstanding, but we were very very lucky. Losing Marc and Wilf and not having enough subs was not good, and not sure why Hamza didn't come on instead of Maddison, it wasn't his kind of game, never mind at least we are through.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this at the minute, he's been done for about 5 goals already since his return. Still class going forward mind you.

2 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

That's the thing, nobody can have any real appeal over those decisions. Gaurantee that VAR would have given that last handball call just to look important and make drama. 

Yeah, exactly. In real time, including real time replays, none of those should be given as penalties. The last handball was clearly accidental and merely the ball hitting his arm after Barnes headed it from a body’s length away. To be fair, even VAR would not give it, but then again after the Soyuncu handball last game I can’t be too sure especially as VAR likes to review it in extra slow mo.

• Like 3

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I'm afraid I have to agree with this at the minute, he's been done for about 5 goals already since his return. Still class going forward mind you.

And it takes time for players to get back to match speed after a year off - this isn't aimed at you Ric, but what do people expect?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's better on the left and that partnership with Barnes last season was a big reason we were top four till both got crocked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

And it takes time for players to get back to match speed after a year off - this isn't aimed at you Ric, but what do people expect?

I think people are willing to cut him some slack as we know what he's capable of, although I've always felt he's got a lot of improving to do at old fashioned defending but going forward he's already one of our best full backs, if not our best. Prefer him at LB too.

59 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

Very harsh analysis on Tilemans. He was everywhere tonight. He’s not particularly mobile as we all know but he didn’t stop running. Especially when Wilf went off. He gave 110% for the club tonight as he always has. 

Not too harsh. Not a disgrace though. Did quite a bit of running but largely ineffectual and not really worth a shirt if everyone fit.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

Just now, Weller Wing said:

That was a proper European result against a really good side and a fantastic home crowd.

Even though we lost 

Almost like a play the game not the team situation. The way we effected the tempo of the game for large periods did make Rennes seem almost too animated and worked up. Fine margins but we were well worth the draw or win prior to them scoring the 2nd and then it was pretty hairy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Great result in the end but those last few minutes we played some of the most brain dead football I've seen. We had about 3-4 free kicks and just kicked the ball back to Rennes on every occasion, so they could attack us again and again. Just baffling. 

Yeah have to agree with this, I know they are a good side but my god other than the last ditch blocks we completely lost our heads.

It is baffling but its just not surprising anymore, its our way as infuriating as it is