Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Rennes 2-1 LCFC (2-3 Agg) Post Match Thread

20 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

What a game. Properly battled. Came down to luck in the end really.

Not impressed with Rennes. Dint offer anything in the first leg, they get an early goal tonight and tail off. Diving in the box at every opportunity, even their captain in to it who was also whinging at the ref whenever possible. End up trying to hurt Barnes, with even more diving and screaming at the ref. Particularly think its an odd choice of Captain from them, but what do I know.

... to Albania, we're on our way. Big Dan Amartey at the back, Patson Daka counter-attack. We're on our way, we're on our wayyyy

....I thought at half time that Rennes had blown it, on a night like that with the backing they had and the early goal, you expected  a lot more!!!

For us to go in half time only one down put us in a great position. They failed to capitalise on their good start in the first half, and it cost them.

I bet we get Sparta Prague next.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I thought at half time that Rennes had blown it, on a night like that with the backing they had and the early goal, you expected  a lot more!!!

For us to go in half time only one down put us in a great position. They failed to capitalise on their good start in the first half, and it cost them.

I think we'll get Marseille or Feyenoord/Partisan

Just now, Ricey said:

On the whole it wasn’t a great performance but there were periods that were good.

The defending in the box was great at the end, but the defending outside of the box and our control of the ball was terrible.

Vestergaard was immense (let’s ignore those three free kicks that he put straight out of play), Kasper kept us in it, KDH didn’t stop (let’s ignore his early corners) and Iheanacho looked really fired up from the off. Most importantly though Fofana looked like he’d not missed a match. Incredible.

Injuries are a concern. I can’t believe he didn’t rest Albrighton on Sunday when he’s gone from playing hardly ever to starting every match….but that’s a worry for another day.

We moan about lack of fight and resilience in this team but you can’t moan about that tonight. It’s a huge result against a very good confident side.

On we go!

I'm just so proud of them tonight, the concerns are for another day. There's life in this bunch of shit bags yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
17 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

No doubt with biased lens on. But objectively 😎 I think the ref was indeed fair and reasonable.

Don’t get me wrong. The way that VAR disrupts games and means goals can’t be immediately celebrated is shite 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we'll get Marseille or Feyenoord/Partisan

....although a great opportunity to go sight seeing, but we do not want either of those teams!!!

There is still a lot of quality left in this cup and teams might just start to lean towards lifting this trophy, rather than see it as a distraction.

11 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

You’re only saying Youri is a ‘disgrace’ cos he’s gone from world class & carrying this team, to a bit average. Relax.

Justin did fine. Their left side was very very strong. Definitely at fault for the first goal though. 

Their 2nd goal was excellent. It happens. He actually got a foot in and was a little unlucky with a deflection.

Youri did some good stuff tonite; thought both full backs were our weak links, got caught out too much, but they are both still learning. 

Can’t wait until tomorrow’s draw, that’s all that matters, so just enjoy the aggregate victory👍

• Like 3

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....although a great opportunity to go sight seeing, but we do not want either of those teams!!!

There is still a lot of quality left in this cup and teams might just start to lean towards lifting this trophy, rather than see it as a distraction.

Of course, but I think Rennes were the best team in it. Maybe Roma are still too much for us,truth be told if we aren't at our best plenty could still hurt us. Got to be all in on this. 

1 hour ago, Tazfox said:

Upped our shithousery to 11 to see that one out. Exactly what we need to be doing. 

Wish Rodgers would stop trying to shut up shop though. We aren't solid enough for that.

Heroic performance! We didn't bottle it, which is a huge monkey off our backs going forward. But at 3 - 1 and totally in command against a tiring and deflated Rennes team, we provided them a route back into the game. As you say, Rodgers tried to shut up shop rather than try to continue to control the game higher up the field as we'd done some effectively for the first 20 minutes of the second half. Instead we fell further and further back and resorted to kicking the ball anywhere giving up possession and inviting more and more pressure to build. Rodgers must find a better way to close out games as shithousery, delicious though it is when you win, cannot be relied upon. It went our way tonight and in the cup final thanks to Schmeichal, the colossus that is Vesty and the football gods smiling. At our best we are capable of winning this competition but we must be braver at the right moments and exploit the enormous talent we have particularly when playing on the front foot.

Edited by SixtiesFox
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

****ing brilliant.

horrible watch but we did the nasty things right. Won cheap free kicks, time wasted and the ref was tremendous. he didn’t buy their bullshit. Get in!!!!

I thought it was really good game ,played out there skins tonight ,what a performance, not easy going there ,

• Like 1

Just on the way back from the stadium, feeling absolutely exhausted. 

Great credit to the players for digging in deep and putting bodies on the line; even more so for the 'tactical injury' stoppages that allowed us to slow the game down. 

Special mention to the Rennes fannes, who were great in the pubs pre-match and generated the best home atmosphere I've ever witnessed. 

Thoroughly enjoyable away day and can't wait for the next round. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I assume you mean Slavia

• Like 1

Honestly thought we'd cave in after the start but grew into it. Only saw up to 35 minutes and felt we were getting a grip on things, delighted to see us get through a very tough match. That second goal last week did turn out to be pivotal.

On we go and we should have a few more players back for the next round. Selfishly I hope we are at home in the second leg, hopefully another singing section and good atmosphere.

• Like 1