Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

http://sportwitness.co.uk/slap-face-leicester-signing-opens-first-months-club-thrilled-choice/

‘A slap in the face’ – Leicester signing opens up about first few months at club, thrilled with choice

Previously rejecting the chance to join Newcastle United, Boubakary Soumaré finally decided to try out the Premier League in the summer when Leicester City came knocking.

The young midfielder was a heavily wanted man following his good form at Lille, and it was Brendan Rodgers who eventually won the race for the 22-year-old, who hasn’t wasted any time in establishing himself as a key member of the Premier League side.

Already counting 15 games to his name, he’s also picked up an assist in the 1-1 draw against Leeds United at the weekend, but there is a constant desire to do better, whether it is personally or for the club as a whole, with Leicester currently 11th in the table.

The player was interviewed prior to his trip to Elland Road by Canal+, whose first question was about his decision to swap Lille for Leicester.

He said: “It was a transfer wanted by all three parties, and my arrival here went well. It’s not easy to leave. I’m 22, it’s the first time I’ve left France and I didn’t see myself going to a club and be left to one side, and here is the complete opposite of that, it’s like a family. That’s what I was looking for and it counted a lot towards me coming here”.

The player then went on to reveal he’s closest to Wesley Fofana in the group, having known him for a while before signing thanks to their time with the France youth teams, before being asked about his relationship with Brendan Rodgers.

He continued: “I had him on the phone before I signed. He wanted to do big things with me and the team. He’s very open and is helping my develop quickly because it’s a quick league, very physical. It was a good step for me to come here. It was the end of a cycle for me at Lille. I felt ready to take the step up and come to the Premier League”.

As for the difference between Ligue 1 and the Premier League, Soumaré admitted with a smile that the intensity of England’s top-tier was a ‘slap in the face’.

He’s adapted, though, and the hope is for him and Leicester to do great things together, with their aim to redress the situation starting with a home draw against top of the league Chelsea after the international break.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's had some very good games or patches of games and then some very poor games or patches and sometimes it flip flops like that a few times a game which probably sums up the team this season.

He's certainly not helped us become any better defensively nor creatively so he's very much a work in progress and I did always fear he was an unnecessary purchase given we can't sign every player in the positions we want to strengthen each season, this was the one we needed the least and yet He's the one playing most but there's a player in there somewhere.

Hes just come to the door..

The lad hasn't had time to get his coat off..but he went straight to the kitchen to get on with the chores.

Once he finds where the cutlery goes & where the cupboards are for the cups..

He'll be right up our street..he's Rocketted the neighbours cat against the trelless,blocked the milkman going around the back, but still needs to watch the postman coming up the drive.Still needs to help John in the garage,but slowly finding the right tools..

He will be in this street for a good while,strong newcomer who is not afraid of the neighbourhood..

Sums him up for a positive future..:yesyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was very obvious against QPR in pre season just how good this guy is/ will be.

Reminds me a lot of Pogba, but with a defensive side to his game in place of Pogba's goal threat.

Has shown in the European games, where it has been slower, that he can dominate a midfield with his physicality and ability to drive forward with the ball.

The only issue with him so far, is that he's unable to keep a consistent level of fitness for 90 minutes in the league....But that will come as he gets used to the intensity of the league over the course of the season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, moore_94 said:

He’s adapted, though, and the hope is for him and Leicester to do great things together, with their aim to redress the situation starting with a home draw against top of the league Chelsea after the international break.

Bit of a defensive attitude, Bouba. Come on, mate, let's beat those fvckers! :whistle:

More seriously (1).....on current form, I'd be pretty happy with a home draw v. Chelsea

More seriously (2)....he looks a good acquisition. Still hot and cold, work in progress. But he's young, new here & new to the PL. Lots of potential evident with his physicality, ability to resist challenges, driving runs, subtle touches and turns. I can see him becoming one of those players who can raise morale of teammates and fans during difficult matches with his irresistible midfield surges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Spartak away game demonstrated what he is capable of. Want to see more of the kind of driving runs that we saw in that game from him. He's so strong and good on the ball it is hard to stop him once he gets on a run. 

One other thing about him. After the Burnley game my sons wanted to hang around to get some autographs. Most players just drove past them but Bouba not only stopped but he got out of his car to have photos with the boys. Seemed like a really pleasant, humble young guy!

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see how he develops. He's got all the raw ingredients to develop in to a great player which is exactly the sort of progression and improvement of players we crave. 

It's also going to be interesting to see in the short to mid term whether we are better as an overall team with him in it alongside Ndidi. He's mainly played without Ndidi and been asked to try and be a DCM where possible, but now Wilf is back I'm keen to see if the pair of them together provide us with more overall defensive ability and power in the midfield. With Ndidi back, it should also then at times free up Soumare to progress the ball up pitch which we have been told he is so good at.

Without wanting to be negative, if we aren't defensively any better in the short to mid term with him in there alongside Wilf and he doesn't contribute much in the way of goals and assists (very much a work in progress here) then it will be a question mark as to what to do for the good of the team. We've two problems at the minute, we are defensively suspect and we are ponderous and laboured going forward with a lack of goals from certain areas. If Soumare can do what we think he can given time then he could be a monster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's going to be interesting to see how he develops. He's got all the raw ingredients to develop in to a great player which is exactly the sort of progression and improvement of players we crave. 

It's also going to be interesting to see in the short to mid term whether we are better as an overall team with him in it alongside Ndidi. He's mainly played without Ndidi and been asked to try and be a DCM where possible, but now Wilf is back I'm keen to see if the pair of them together provide us with more overall defensive ability and power in the midfield. With Ndidi back, it should also then at times free up Soumare to progress the ball up pitch which we have been told he is so good at.

Without wanting to be negative, if we aren't defensively any better in the short to mid term with him in there alongside Wilf and he doesn't contribute much in the way of goals and assists (very much a work in progress here) then it will be a question mark as to what to do for the good of the team. We've two problems at the minute, we are defensively suspect and we are ponderous and laboured going forward with a lack of goals from certain areas. If Soumare can do what we think he can given time then he could be a monster.

id like to think that having Ndidi in the side would ease some pressure on him defensively and allow him to operate a bit more up field.. or at least be the one who gets given the ball more to bomb up the pitch. He does that already but he’s be able to do more of it with ndidi playing.

• Like 1

I was both amazed and a bit worried when I heard what his goal scoring record in senior football is. I know he’s not in the team to score goals but you’d want a player in his position nicking a few goals during a season but a mere two goals in around a 100 senior games doesn’t fill me with confidence.  

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What I noticed in the videos before he came here was his ability to get a ball shield/ride the challenge then set off on a run. Almost  Toure like. We lack players who can run forward with the ball driving at opponents but for some reason we've not really seen that. Hopefully as he gets more accustomed to the league we'll see it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

I was both amazed and a bit worried when I heard what his goal scoring record in senior football is. I know he’s not in the team to score goals but you’d want a player in his position nicking a few goals during a season but a mere two goals in around a 100 senior games doesn’t fill me with confidence.  

....the one person who should be benefitting from him should be Youri!!!

Until Soumare gets the balance right we will be looking at a stronger midfield with the three in the middle. 

Youri's present form is not giving us what we need and Soumare's presence is not bearing fruit unless a freed up Youri starts to perform. 

No point waiting for goals from Soumare, that is not his game, there is one assist so far this season so a couple of goals and he will be right ahead of the curve.

29 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

See that shot on Sunday.

I can believe it lol.

On 09/11/2021 at 12:49, MonmoreStef said:

Our fans have loved Albrighton for years, despite being a forward player and averaging 2 goals a season.....

Nobody can criticize Soumare's goalscoring ability from a defensive midfield position.

What actually 'amazed' me and left me far more than a 'bit worried' was when Rodgers said he wanted to turn him into an attacking midfielder!

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

What actually 'amazed' me and left me far more than a 'bit worried' was when Rodgers said he wanted to turn him into an attacking midfielder!

...he does give you cause to worry!!!

His need to alter and detract from a players strengths does make you wonder how much he can read a player.

Just play to the players strengths, you bought him in for what he does.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's been wretched. The worst thing is how he lets people run past him, like he expects someone else to do his job. Maybe that's how it's done in the French league but you can't do it here.

I will say of course it's hard to come into a new league and the whole team is playing badly, which can't help. But he's noticibly bad. I've felt this way for a little while and the recent games have only reinforced this belief.

• Like 1