Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

Got some decent raw tools, and has shown his talent in flashes, but looks like he'll need quite a bit of time to get used to the tempo of the league. He needs to become much more dynamic and be able to impose himself on the game more.

Was hopeless 1st half today, but we were set up to fail in central midfield.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You didn’t see this against Legia? 

He’s reactive rather than proactive. He reacts to the game as it happened rather than it happens. 

Strikes me as the type of player whom a scout watched have a stormer once but then didn’t watch how he inconsistently performed. 

Praet quite simply the better player. Makes more happen, scores goals, moves off the ball 

Oh I’ve see it before alright!

He’s like Ndombele. Has a bit of quality on the ball but doesn’t want to run. In his first season Carragher analysed him against Burnley I think it was and he wasn’t breaking sweat at all and got hooked by Mourinho. 

Brendan should have hooked him much earlier today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, martyn said:

Got some decent raw tools, and has shown his talent in flashes, but looks like he'll need quite a bit of time to get used to the tempo of the league. He needs to become much more dynamic and be able to impose himself on the game more.

Was hopeless 1st half today, but we were set up to fail in central midfield.

This. 

Give Soumare some time. 

We're a bad fanbase if we're totally writing off players after being here for 3-4 months. Especially given its his first time playing in this league in a team that's lacked confidence for majority of it so far. 

Need to learn to be patient sometimes. It's why seeing above comments about it being the most disgraceful performance ever is even more grating on me. 

• Like 2

Gets the benefit of a settling in season for me. Has shown glimpses of really good play but he's clearly not sit in front the back 4 type defensive midfielder. Doesn't have the legs. Need to remember he's a young bloke who is settling into a new country, not always easy and he's also come in to a side with no confidence. Needs someone close to him to link up with. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Oh I’ve see it before alright!

He’s like Ndombele. Has a bit of quality on the ball but doesn’t want to run. In his first season Carragher analysed him against Burnley I think it was and he wasn’t breaking sweat at all and got hooked by Mourinho. 

Brendan should have hooked him much earlier today.

Exactly my thoughts. He’d be perfect for Newcastle. He may come good but he’s gotta learn quick 

17 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Not just Chelsea though is? Looked utterly wank in Warsaw and then rather average elsewhere 

I wouldn’t like to be playing my first games in the PL in this side with our current tactics ….I think he’s unsure what’s expected of him out there which is probably the opposite of Lille 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Less goals and assists than Praet and no better defensively than Praet. Prevented us getting the right winger we badly needed, ouch.

I was saying the same Daka and a RW and keep Praet.

Rather then throw 30m at Soumare and Vestigguard.

Feel like we fall in the trap of improve the squad rather than the starting 11.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I wouldn’t like to be playing my first games in the PL in this side with our current tactics ….I think he’s unsure what’s expected of him out there which is probably the opposite of Lille 

He wasn’t particularly first choice for Lille last season. Made 32 out of 38 apps in the league with 11 of those coming off the bench. We’ve made a great leap of faith in his potential. I don’t see other players give the same time allowed to develop 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He wasn’t particularly first choice for Lille last season. Made 32 out of 38 apps in the league with 11 of those coming off the bench. We’ve made a great leap of faith in his potential. I don’t see other players give the same time allowed to develop 

He was the most used player to partner Andre in a double pivot, more minutes than both Sanches and Xeka who were the other 2 options

Rodgers tactics on one side messed us up, because soumare became the one dropping back while ndidi pressed instead of how IT SHOULD BE, which is vice versa. But regardless he was awful today soumare. Hopefully better times r aheadt 

• Like 2

Was clear from minute 1 that our midfield 2 were being totally overrun by their 3. Didn’t change until the 2nd half. Not exactly fair on Soumare to weight his judgement heavily on that game. He was bad, but all of our midfielders would have struggled in that situation.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 2

One great performance away to Spartak. Several average ones. And a few like today where he looks utterly clueless as to what he is actually supposed to be doing.

At the moment it is difficult to understand why he was bought as he offers nothing to the team that wasn’t there before. ‘Dynamic box to box midfielder’, we were told. Yeah, right…

In most of the games he's played I've thought he looks decent, in patches, on the ball. He can work his way out of tight spaces, has a decent pass on him. When he's positive he can kick-start attacks. But at the same time he seems woeful at tracking runners, closing down spaces, or putting any real pressure on the ball. He's slow, a bit of a 'stroller' as they say, needs too long in possession, is afraid to take risks and doesn't really grasp the concept of pass and move. Whether he's in a midfield two or three, opposition players just walk past him and straight on to our back line.

There's potential there, but we need to impose ourselves far more in the centre of the park, and he's a major part of that problem. I agree that it's unfair to condemn him too much for his performance in a midfield two against that opposition - this was suicide on the part of the manager, and seemed to raise plenty of eyebrows before kick off - but it's a consistent concern with Soumare. I don't think we can afford to play him at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Less goals and assists than Praet and no better defensively than Praet. Prevented us getting the right winger we badly needed, ouch.

Soumare wasn’t signed for this season. Everyone and his mother was raving about how good of a signing he was. 

Rodgers even said he wanted to be patient with Soumare playing time and development this season…which makes today’s decisions even more baffling. 

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

Rodgers tactics on one side messed us up, because soumare became the one dropping back while ndidi pressed instead of how IT SHOULD BE, which is vice versa. But regardless he was awful today soumare. Hopefully better times r aheadt 

Exactly, BR set him up for a fall by playing him deeper than Ndidi. Soumare hasn't got the ability or energy to be that midfield destroyer. The 2nd goal was terrible, he let James pirouette pass him and then was chasing Kantes shadow, which he gave up doing pretty quickly. I'm not sure what his role is, because he cant defend and dawdles on the ball for too long to be an effect creative force. I just hope these are teething problems and he'll get better as he becomes more confident and comfortable. 

• Like 2

It's the strolling around I can't stand. We concede so many goals when he's in the team. He just doesn't track runners. Obviously our defensive issues run far deeper than Soumare but I'd be dropping him as soon as it's feasible. 

Of course before anyone says I'm being unfair: I'm not sure he's being utilised correctly by Rodgers plus he's young, adjusting to a new league and the players around him aren't performing. I get that. But letting Kante stroll past him is inexcusable.  

• Thanks 1