Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

His performances are indefensible!

If you're going to have a bad game...fine. 

If you're going to have a bad run of games....OK.

I understand the adjustments needed to move leagues. 

But the very least we should be getting is effort and the guy is lazy. Pure unadulterated laziness. That is simply not acceptable. 

• Like 2

I don't mind him missing passes, but he has to press when we trigger a team press. A few times our entire front line and Ndidi was pressing their defence and left side of midfield, but Soumare didn't press the right sided midfielder, and they beat our press because of it. I'm sure he'll learn, and it can't be easy having to fill Youri's shoes, but he has to be better. Whether he's just tepid to press and leave gaps, I don't know, but he has to act with the unit.

Edited by Beechey

3 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

Too early to tell, not going to judge him on a few under par performances but certainly don’t want him starting games at the moment, perhaps a loan to a walking football team may help. 

3 hours ago, Rigga said:

Soumare has played plenty this season to adjust to the pace of the PL .

the reality is, he’s just lazy and doesn’t spot any danger at all…

with the fall back of having wilf alongside him , he should be box to box and expressing himself.. distinctly average unfortunately..

....not going to agree with the 'lazy" label!!

But you are right that with Ndidi in the midfield he should not be struggling as he is.

I don't think he sees tracking back and getting involved in the defence as part of his remit just as he does not view getting in the box as part of his remit as well.

Rodgers is asking for something that he does not naturally bring to the team and he (Soumare) is in two minds about his own game, and what is required of him.

So far we have only seen occasional moments of potential, we need to see the real Soumare and I do not think Rodgers can see who he is, instead of what he thinks he could be.

Looks like he has lots of potential but the minimum requirement is 100% effort and whilst he is not tracking runners or busting a gut to close a player down i don't see how he can remain in the starting 11. 

Sometimes it can take players longer to adjust than others so i hope this is the sutuation he finds himself in rather than just being lazy. 

He needs dropping. I know you’re not allowed to suggest players are pap on here but, he has failed to convince me at all he is what we need. And what worries me is, this is exactly what the French said about him, showed the occasional slight of foot and fancy pass, but largely was average and lazy. 

There is time of course for him to come good, but he’s a long way away from that at the moment. 

• Like 1

Like a few have commented already, I’m now of the opinion that he needs replacing in the starting 11. The game seems to pass him by and he’s really struggling to perform at the level he needs to. 2 minutes into the game, JWP runs off him and he just can’t recover and get back and JWP is hardly the sprightliest midfielder in the league. Seems to be numerous occasions where he ultimately is a weak link in the team. Unlike others however, I don’t think it’s down to laziness, I just don’t think he has the running power I fully expected him to have. Kanté’s goal against us was a prime example too, he doesn’t actually have the legs to get back in which is a major concern .

5 hours ago, eblair said:

Think he can turn it round; but don’t understand why KDH not given a chance when he’s played so badly several times

I recall a recent exchange with a misanthropic poster who believed (believes) that the "romantic" notion that another 'home-grown' player (KDH) being given a start might result in a catastrophe for the team - giving as evidence one rare poor performance by Luke Thomas.

Soumare might turn out to be a good investment, but, on yesterday evening's performance, it's going to take time. He's overweight, unresponsive, lacks urgency and focus. As with Ayoze Perez, BR must see something special a-lurking in his cumbersome frame which I cannot.

Maybe his early substitution for KDH last night marks the illusion falling from Rodger's eyes.

KDH was everything Soumare wasn't - alert to opportunity, superb in his distribution and quick to respond to Saint's attacks. The half-time exchange radically changed City's impetus. 

During the second half I wasn't thinking that we were missing Tielemans, as much as what might we have done to Southampton had he been playing alongside Söyüncü, KDH, Madders, Thomas, Barnes and Vards. That LHS looked outstandingly potent after play restarted.

2 hours ago, Beechey said:

I don't mind him missing passes, but he has to press when we trigger a team press. A few times our entire front line and Ndidi was pressing their defence and left side of midfield, but Soumare didn't press the right sided midfielder, and they beat our press because of it. I'm sure he'll learn, and it can't be easy having to fill Youri's shoes, but he has to be better. Whether he's just tepid to press and leave gaps, I don't know, but he has to act with the unit.

Yanked at halftime. He'll get the message or he won't play. Rarely does Rodgers not give a player till 60 to redeem himself and get his act together.

Needs more time. Don't like how Rodgers has thrown him into the fire. Got all the traits to be a star but clearly not up to speed here yet. His time will come. English game is v different. This is made evident through his lack of tracking runners and such 

I hope the half time benching sends the right message.

Unlike some, I don't think most posters are writing him off. He hasn't been good enough yet and frankly I think he's cost us points. That said, he's very young and new to the league and I'm sure we are all pulling for him to have a great career here. Some time out of the side to get his fitness up to standard will help  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanya said:

I hope the half time benching sends the right message.

Unlike some, I don't think most posters are writing him off. He hasn't been good enough yet and frankly I think he's cost us points. That said, he's very young and new to the league and I'm sure we are all pulling for him to have a great career here. Some time out of the side to get his fitness up to standard will help  

Would agree but posting self indulgent messages like 'waste of money', 'worst signing ever', sends a different message, no?

And in terms of costing us points, he certainly isn`t the only one either, not even most culpable...I am looking at you Wilfred..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would agree but posting self indulgent messages like 'waste of money', 'worst signing ever', sends a different message, no?

And in terms of costing us points, he certainly isn`t the only one either, not even most culpable...I am looking at you Wilfred..

Worst signing ever sounds like a wind up to me. It's way too early to judge. He was sensational in that game where Daka scored four. He was argubaly man of the of the match there.

Most people are adding the caveats that he's young and needs time to adjust. As for costing us points, obviously it's a collective but his lack of tracking runners in the box has put the backline under enormous pressure. He intercepts or puts the ball out of play, our defence isn't constantly on the back foot. He has no awareness and unlike other players, he doesn't have a body of work to fall back on for goodwill (like Wilf, who deserves our support while he isn't playing well). I think we looked a lot better defensively with Soumare out of the team.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Worst signing ever sounds like a wind up to me. It's way too early to judge. He was sensational in that game where Daka scored four. He was argubaly man of the of the match there.

Most people are adding the caveats that he's young and needs time to adjust. As for costing us points, obviously it's a collective but his lack of tracking runners in the box has put the backline under enormous pressure. He intercepts or puts the ball out of play, our defence isn't constantly on the back foot. He has no awareness and unlike other players, he doesn't have a body of work to fall back on for goodwill (like Wilf, who deserves our support while he isn't playing well). I think we looked a lot better defensively with Soumare out of the team.

This is fair I think, but I am wary of using past successes to offset recent failures. You are of course right in that Wilf has been, and we assume will be, so important moving forward, so therefore deserves our support in his current struggles. Defensively this season we have woeful, and I think it has impacted us far and wide, all over the pitch, may indeed be a contributing factor to Wilf's current poor form.

Returning to Soumare, as a snap judgement, he has not set the world alight, but he needs time to adjust to a new league, a new country, and we in turn need time to learn how this type of player would work in our adapting system (I assume we plan to adapt to use him, otherwise why purchase such a player, unlike any others we have). 

Said it many times, but Vardy was poor initially, he turned out ok, and I am sure we all hope Soumare fullfils his potential here  

• Like 1