Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

Big summer for him. He’s got two options; move on or seriously knuckle down in the off season as KDH did this year and come back fitter. He’s looked off the pace of the Prem and needs to show he wants to be a success here.

• Like 1

I’m not sure he’s going to ever fit Prem football. He just wants far too much time. 

Im not sure if that’s something that can be coached out of him.  Just seems like a bad fit. Cash in now before his stock complete falls 

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, Foxes96 said:

Don’t think the holding position is where he’s best. Think there’s still more to come from him, next season hopefully. Could still prove to be an important player for us with Youri likely off in the summer. Has all the raw attributes.

....he is not a holding player, he never was supposed to be!!!

The situation is now so bad with what we have seen with him in the team, could be that he is someone the club has brought in as opposed to Rodgers agreeing the need for his services. Hard to understand why even if he is not excelling in one respect the rest of his game is so underwhelming.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I do still think he is being wrongly used by Rodgers, so much more of his play is him having to be reserved compared to how he was with Lille, he needs to be allowed to play like KDH does

When you compare the heatmaps for Soumare last season with Lille and KDH this season with us they are pretty similar in that there is a pretty equal balance on either side of the pitch and more towards the left hand side

image.png.b942b649bf17a47d0d5eef58eaf25462.png image.png.ea12a09f1dce1bc5f2ecd89481afe996.png

But when you look at Soumare's heatmap for this season with us, more focus of his position in our own half and with a bit more of an equal spread but mainly towards the centre

image.png.0fc9d749c3750b1a6d15be80b5001b62.png

I'm assuming once Youri leaves this summer, we may well utilise him one side and KDH/Maddison in the other 8 role. Would allow him to be more like he was for Lille 

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'm assuming once Youri leaves this summer, we may well utilise him one side and KDH/Maddison in the other 8 role. Would allow him to be more like he was for Lille 

.....we could play that now with a diamond, KDH and Soumare with Maddison at the top!!!

We have used Youri and KDH as #8s now and again, but it limits Youri and he has not got the engine to give cover to the wide spaces.

4 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Still think we need go give the poor mucker a chance!!

2 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Give him a full pre -season he’ll be alright next year . Just needs to get up to speed of the Premier  league 

I have to say I am not as optimistic. Earlier in this very thread I claimed he would be a revelation and after having 10-15 games in the team would be undroppable. But the opposite happened. He was given an extended run, never really had an amazing game in the Premier League and led to our early season problems. Conversely KDH came into the team and has been everything Soumare has not. Progressive ball carries, exceptional work rate, genuine quality and improving the team when he's in it. Hence KDH is an auto pick and Soumare is not. In fact I wonder what our season would have looked like if KDH was given that run of games at the start of the season instead of Soumare!?

I won't write him off completely as many players took time to adapt to the Premier League. A really good example I can think of is Robert Pires who was poor in his first 6 months for Arsenal, then OK for the next 6, and then absolutely exploded and was a world class player. With Tielemans going, I expect Soumare will get another run of games next season, but he's got to improve fast. Doesn't it say it all that today Rodgers put Mendy on as a sub instead of Soumare? And it was the right choice, as Soumare has been guilty of not doing enough and leading to capitulations, whereas Mendy was super solid and helped us see out the game. I also expect that when Tielemans goes we will sign one player like for like at minimum to replace him.

At the moment you'd have to say that for a player given an extended run in the first team, he has not produced. Soyuncu, James Justin, Luke Thomas, Daniel Amartey, Kelechi Iheanacho, KDH. All of these players after having an extended run proved themselves to be decent, good or very good players. Soumare I remember being excellent against Spartak Moscow away, and having a few other good moments. But he's not delivered as much as KDH has who is the revelation for us this season.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to say I am not as optimistic. Earlier in this very thread I claimed he would be a revelation and after having 10-15 games in the team would be undroppable. But the opposite happened. He was given an extended run, never really had an amazing game in the Premier League and led to our early season problems. Conversely KDH came into the team and has been everything Soumare has not. Progressive ball carries, exceptional work rate, genuine quality and improving the team when he's in it. Hence KDH is an auto pick and Soumare is not. In fact I wonder what our season would have looked like if KDH was given that run of games at the start of the season instead of Soumare!?

I won't write him off completely as many players took time to adapt to the Premier League. A really good example I can think of is Robert Pires who was poor in his first 6 months for Arsenal, then OK for the next 6, and then absolutely exploded and was a world class player. With Tielemans going, I expect Soumare will get another run of games next season, but he's got to improve fast. Doesn't it say it all that today Rodgers put Mendy on as a sub instead of Soumare? And it was the right choice, as Soumare has been guilty of not doing enough and leading to capitulations, whereas Mendy was super solid and helped us see out the game. I also expect that when Tielemans goes we will sign one player like for like at minimum to replace him.

At the moment you'd have to say that for a player given an extended run in the first team, he has not produced. Soyuncu, James Justin, Luke Thomas, Daniel Amartey, Kelechi Iheanacho, KDH. All of these players after having an extended run proved themselves to be decent, good or very good players. Soumare I remember being excellent against Spartak Moscow away, and having a few other good moments. But he's not delivered as much as KDH has who is the revelation for us this season.

Only thing I would say is that you are just asking for Soumare to be in trouble / probably do poorly if you bring him on today for Ndidi because he isn't a player for that role of being a lone DM at the bottom of a midfield 3, where as Mendy is

Soumare needs to be utilised more as a box to box player than a defensive mid - a good example for this is in the Liverpool midfield of previous seasons, we need to use him more like a Wijnaldum rather than a Fabinho

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Only thing I would say is that you are just asking for Soumare to be in trouble / probably do poorly if you bring him on today for Ndidi because he isn't a player for that role of being a lone DM at the bottom of a midfield 3, where as Mendy is

Soumare needs to be utilised more as a box to box player than a defensive mid - a good example for this is in the Liverpool midfield of previous seasons, we need to use him more like a Wijnaldum rather than a Fabinho

Totally agree!

• Like 1

Can't see Soumare getting a start for the foreseeable unless we get another series of injuries. Might be good for him in the long term as it takes away some of the pressure and gives him a chance to get up to speed. He's going to have to be right up for it when he eventually gets the call. Not sure how many chances he'll get now. 

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Can't see Soumare getting a start for the foreseeable unless we get another series of injuries. Might be good for him in the long term as it takes away some of the pressure and gives him a chance to get up to speed. He's going to have to be right up for it when he eventually gets the call. Not sure how many chances he'll get now. 

....or it might just turn out to be a major mistake, where an untried player has become the very player that you have previously sourced and brought in!!!

If at this moment he is unable to do the basics, then we might just have to look again at the balance of the team and bring in someone capable of covering KDH. Soumare may see this as a way out of a bad situation, but so far in games, he looks so far removed from what we need, and that is on him.

Edited by sacreblueits442

He needs nurturing that’s for sure. Clearly is a decent player from what we’ve seen at Lille but even Brendan said he and Daka won’t be relied upon this season, the later we’re starting to see also after his explosive start isn’t completely ready either.

• Like 1

It's a lot to move to a new league and country at such a young age, especially during a pandemic and coming off the back of such a great season. 

As we saw with Kelechi - things don't always start well and yet, last night, we were all waiting for him to come on. 

I'm willing to give him time and allow mistakes but I will always expect commitment.

• Like 2

Absolutely no reason he can't be successful here, the only issue I can see is the more we rely on the likes of KDH and even Hamza then I don't see him being given lots of game time to bed in and settle. He simply has to start taking his chances if and when rhey come.

I think we'd get our money back on him anyway, that's the beauty of signing young players at knock down fees.

• Like 3