Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

I remember watching Henderson at Liverpool get an absolute thrashing as Rodgers was transitioning him to the type of midfielder he is now. Look how that turned out. Supporters wanted to drive him back to Sunderland free of charge.

42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Think the next few league games he'll get some minutes simply due to the unavailability of others. I'd probably start him against Palace. He's got to get better though.

Ideal time to blood the guy, the promise of games with nothing  huge at stake and a promise that he won't be dropped even if he makes a mistake. 

I don't fancy the guy at all but I'm one of the very few that thinks KDH is limited and is probably maxing out right now  (happy to be proved wrong!)....which means I thi k we need this guy to come good as a box to box midfielder, albeit on the right as opposed to KDHs left

If nothing  else, a run of games protects the guy's value 

Edited by Paninistickers

21 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I remember watching Henderson at Liverpool get an absolute thrashing as Rodgers was transitioning him to the type of midfielder he is now. Look how that turned out. Supporters wanted to drive him back to Sunderland free of charge.

So we should approach Jurgen Klopp?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SO1 said:

It’s the same old debate, a player needs time, but no player has an infinite amount of time to prove themselves.

I remember people on here saying Waghorn needed more time to prove himself but you can’t give him a whole season to score 3 goals otherwise you’ve wasted a season!!

As many have said, Bouba needs to come in and start performing to a certain level, he’s been given the B.O.D but now he has to seize his chance. I’m going to be interested to see if he can take it … or not!

• Like 1

Soumare like Silva and Inler doesn't seem to have a game suited to the PL. Sad really, because physically he seems made for the cut and trust of the PL, but just seems lost and disinterested on the pitch. I read earlier in the thread that he's very shy and needs encouragement to express himself on the pitch. We can only hope this is the root cause and once he feels more comfortable, the performances will come.

12 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

It’s the same old debate, a player needs time, but no player has an infinite amount of time to prove themselves.

I remember people on here saying Waghorn needed more time to prove himself but you can’t give him a whole season to score 3 goals otherwise you’ve wasted a season!!

As many have said, Bouba needs to come in and start performing to a certain level, he’s been given the B.O.D but now he has to seize his chance. I’m going to be interested to see if he can take it … or not!

Someone mentioned at his price point we will be able to sell him back to France or wherever and not take a huge loss. It's not like Perez which would be the opposite. If the club doesn't think it's working out he will be sold. Everyone in the squad has to contribute or take that money and buy another player who can. 

Still feel optimistic about the player.

12 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Soumare like Silva and Inler doesn't seem to have a game suited to the PL. Sad really, because physically he seems made for the cut and trust of the PL, but just seems lost and disinterested on the pitch. I read earlier in the thread that he's very shy and needs encouragement to express himself on the pitch. We can only hope this is the root cause and once he feels more comfortable, the performances will come.

...being an introvert does not stop you from displaying your talents and expressing yourself on the pitch!!!

If anywhere else he should be most comfortable on the pitch. Actors are introverts, uncomfortable being in their own skin, they gain comfort from being someone else, other than themselves.

There must be an answer to all this, but being an introvert does not prevent him from performing on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...being an introvert does not stop you from displaying your talents and expressing yourself on the pitch!!!

If anywhere else he should be most comfortable on the pitch. Actors are introverts, uncomfortable being in their own skin, they gain comfort from being someone else, other than themselves.

There must be an answer to all this, but being an introvert does not prevent him from performing on the pitch. 

Spot on … that chap, what’s his face, N’Golo something is the pure definition of an introvert off the pitch and he’s not particularly passive on the pitch!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

Big difference they were both experience pros and should have adapted quickly (Inler 31-year old with 330 + League apps and 89 international cap, Silva 28-year-old with 200+ league apps and 20 + international caps) when they joined. 

Soumare was only 22 when he sign with only 80 odd league apps, he need to be cut a little slack and given time in my view. 

I've seen more glimpse of potential in him then either of those showed.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

This what Rodgers said when we signed him: “The reason for bringing him in is the gap we had in the squad was whenever we lost Wilf, we lost that physicality out of the game – that power, height and dominance – and then when we lost Youri out of the team, we missed someone who could make the last pass. Bouba is a hybrid of both. He can play with Youri and also with Wilf.”

Which is just bizarre as his defensive stats were average at best for Lille. His no. of tackles and pressures p90 were underwhelming, only the interceptions were alright. If we were looking for a physically dominant French midfielder, we could have found one. Soumare is big but height & mass ≠ physicality, it has to be applied.

“Overall, he’s a really exciting player with his running power and ability. And we want to get him up there – he hasn’t scored a lot of goals because he has been more played as a sitter behind in the game but we feel he can get forward more and threaten the goal a little more. You’ll see that over the course of the season.”

Again, very bizarre - let’s take a player that’s won the league playing in quite a specific role, a player that has scored 1 goal in 141 career appearances and then try and change his game to do something entirely different.

Edit: please could a mod format this post so it’s a normal size. I copied the quote from the Mercury and the text is in that styling instead.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

This what Rodgers said when we signed him: “The reason for bringing him in is the gap we had in the squad was whenever we lost Wilf, we lost that physicality out of the game – that power, height and dominance – and then when we lost Youri out of the team, we missed someone who could make the last pass. Bouba is a hybrid of both. He can play with Youri and also with Wilf.”

Which is just bizarre as his defensive stats were average at best for Lille. His no. of tackles and pressures p90 were underwhelming, only the interceptions were alright. If we were looking for a physically dominant French midfielder, we could have found one. Soumare is big but height & mass ≠ physicality, it has to be applied.

“Overall, he’s a really exciting player with his running power and ability. And we want to get him up there – he hasn’t scored a lot of goals because he has been more played as a sitter behind in the game but we feel he can get forward more and threaten the goal a little more. You’ll see that over the course of the season.”

Again, very bizarre - let’s take a player that’s won the league playing in quite a specific role, a player that has scored 1 goal in 141 career appearances and then try and change his game to do something entirely different.

Edit: please could a mod format this post so it’s a normal size. I copied the quote from the Mercury and the text is in that styling instead.

The stats show he’s not particularly great in any of the things Rodgers mentioned, I think he believes he can get those things out of BS but only time will tell, he has the ability but we haven’t seen anywhere near enough of either yet tbh.  

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I think the moral of the story is take everything Rodgers says with a pinch of salt lol

On Sunday he pulled out of a 50/50 so he’s nothing like Ndidi whose season is pretty much over putting his body on the line for us + he’s only ever registered 4 assists in his career so there’s little evidence to show he has the final pass of a Tielemans unless it’s sideways or backwards. 

I do think he has all the physical attributes to be a successful premier league player but at the minutes he looks so lost. Hopefully with a years experience & learning the language more he will improve.

24 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

The stats show he’s not particularly great in any of the things Rodgers mentioned, I think he believes he can get those things out of BS but only time will tell, he has the ability but we haven’t seen anywhere near enough of either yet tbh.  

....all those stats did not stop Lille from winning the league, it did not stop him from being efficient and dominating the league!!!

In his case the stats are irrelevant, a pointless analysis tool to what he does. The lack of goals is not an issue, the lack of assists are not an issue, the pressure is not an issue, for what he does (or did at Lille) all those stats mean nothing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....all those stats did not stop Lille from winning the league, it did not stop him from being efficient and dominating the league!!!

In his case the stats are irrelevant, a pointless analysis tool to what he does. The lack of goals is not an issue, the lack of assists are not an issue, the pressure is not an issue, for what he does (or did at Lille) all those stats mean nothing.

What does he do? 

I don't think I've worked it out yet ... 

Edited by Jobyfox

4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

What does he do? 

I don't think I've worked it out yet ... 

Casually jog around the pitch giving the impression of someone who is actively trying to avoid getting the ball.

Feel like the worst case scenario will be to loan him back to the continent in the summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

If you showed me those quotes and asked who he was talking about I’d have guessed Dewsbury-Hall.

The words ‘running power’ and Soumare do not go together so he’d have been one of the last on my list for guesses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

If you showed me those quotes and asked who he was talking about I’d have guessed Dewsbury-Hall.

The words ‘running power’ and Soumare do not go together so he’d have been one of the last on my list for guesses.

....that is the enigma, you cannot equate what you are seeing with what he was doing last season!!!

Someone comes off the bench and does a very poor imitation of him, so poor that he is unrecognisable, and we sit and wonder what exactly are we watching.

Just now, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Can't understand all this excuse that he needs a pre season, what's going to change with him that next season he will pick up.

You look at players like Kulusevski at Spurs and it took him 2 games to settle it, and they can pick him up in the summer for the same price we paid for Soumare

He is a winger. It's a completely different game.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

He is a winger. It's a completely different game.

....if anything you would say that the wing would be a more difficult position to play, in as much that you are more exposed and therefor liable to greater scrutiny!!!

Playing in a midfield with Ndidi behind you KDH doing all the running, means there are room to hide and not to pull your weight. If you cannot convince a watching public that you are attempting to give 100% when you get on the pitch, then you have a problem with your ability to motivate yourself.

If you are not producing the quality, dig in for the team, feeling sorry for yourself can only last so long, it is not all about you.

• Like 3

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....if anything you would say that the wing would be a more difficult position to play, in as much that you are more exposed and therefor liable to greater scrutiny!!!

Playing in a midfield with Ndidi behind you KDH doing all the running, means there are room to hide and not to pull your weight. If you cannot convince a watching public that you are attempting to give 100% when you get on the pitch, then you have a problem with your ability to motivate yourself.

If you are not producing the quality, dig in for the team, feeling sorry for yourself can only last so long, it is not all about you.

How often that he has played has the team been the same? He hasnt looked great but lets be honest in midfield who has? KDH is the stand out midfielder this year, the lad that has been with the club from a young age and cut his teeth in the championship. 

Sourmare and Daka need time to bed into the team and the country. 

Please also never say feeling sorry for yourself only can last so long. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with him, no one does. 

Its obvious from his interviews in the past few weeks he has struggled with settling in. 

I have seen bits of him where he looks like he has it, the potential is there but this season lets be honest has been a nightmare for the majority of the squad, management & fans. 

• Like 4