Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Boubakary Soumare

21 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He is basically Mendy on steroids, but he got caught on the ball a couple of times today.

What I worry about is his defensive work, for a guy with such physical presence, his defensive work is non existent, more of our fans will start to realise that soon enough.

Mendy is a goalie mate so I can’t see much comparison

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

My bad Una, I thought box to box midfielders usually contributed in terms of defensive work, assists & goals.

Box to box is a bit weird, some places describe it like that but then you see players like Wijnaldum who get described as box to box but barely score or assist either

I like to think of them as progressive players, quickly transitioning the play forward up the pitch

He didn't really get a chance to showcase that today, but it was a bit cagey and we were playing quite passive really when he came on, I have no doubt when we have a bit more of an open end to end game he will be able to show his abilities

If you look at the stats below, although he isn't scoring high in the creative and defensive (other than interceptions), he is one of the highest rated when it comes to progressive play

image.png.d98c6618c458af0e5d4d0d3c275a90d8.png

Edited by moore_94

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He isn't a creative player like Youri and he isn't a defensive monster like Wilf, anyone who thinks he was brought in to be back up to either of these players and their style of play didn't bother to do any research on him, he certainly isn't a defensive midfielder like some people seem to think for some reason

The main asset of a player like Soumare is that he is strong on the ball and able to run with it, the whole point of him is that he is able to drag the play up the pitch himself quickly and progress the play

https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young-football-players/boubakary-soumare/

I know he isn’t a creative player because this is a guy who had no assists last season. I know he isn’t a defensive midfielder because his defensive stats are shit. 

As I said his main asset is to keep the ball, plus he has the physicality we’ve needed.

I mentioned his defensive work though, purely because I think he’ll need Ndidi alongside him whenever he plays, Benjamin Andre did all the defensive work for Lille. Soumare in a two without a defensive midfielder alongside him, which will happen at some points, especially during the African Cup of Nations is going to be interesting to see.

He's not a pure DM like Ndidi and he's not a box to box player like Tielemans. As a previous poster mentioned, he reminds me a bit of Moussa Dembele at Spurs under Poch. Dembele wasn't a pure DM but he dictated play and he kept the ball well. Dembele was a fantastic player and if he turns into anywhere near as good we got a proper player on his hands. 

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Box to box is a bit weird, some places describe it like that but then you see players like Wijnaldum who get described as box to box but barely score or assist either

I like to think of them as progressive players, quickly transitioning the play forward up the pitch

He didn't really get a chance to showcase that today, but it was a bit cagey and we were playing quite passive really when he came on, I have no doubt when we have a bit more of an open end to end game he will be able to show his abilities

If you look at the stats below, although he isn't scoring high in the creative and defensive (other than interceptions), he is one of the highest rated when it comes to progressive play

image.png.d98c6618c458af0e5d4d0d3c275a90d8.png

When I think box to box midfielder, I think Yaya Toure, Paul Pogba, players who contribute at both ends of the pitch, you look at Soumare’s stats, I don’t see him as that type of player. The Holland version of Wijnaldum scores for fun lol 

He is great at passing and keeping the ball, so is Mendy, that’s why I compared the two.

Soumare just happens to be more physical, plus his ball carries will be extremely important, he’ll basically be the passer to set the likes of Maddison & Barnes on their way.

For me he is the type of player we’ll need to play in a three, history suggests at Lille that a defensive midfielder is needed alongside him, when Ndidi is out, as said in my other message, it’s going to be extremely interesting to see how Soumare does.

Seems to be a fairly big misconception that Soumare is a defensive midfielder.

Anyway, not a particularly hot-take (Luke-warm at best) but Lille got absolutely whammoed 4-0 by former title-winning manager Galtier’s Nice. Soumare and Maignan are the most significant departures from the club other than their former manager. Soumare’s absence must definitely be felt!

Really like what we have seen from him so far, room to improve for sure. Great that he can be nurtured within the club without needing to be thrown in at the deep-end.

4 minutes ago, ScrumpyJack said:

That's very much due to the fact that he's a deep lying able tackler that rapidly recycles possession. He's also capable of driving forward and making penetrative runs and passes which has lead others on here to erroneously brand him as a box to box midfielder. 

1 hour ago, ScrumpyJack said:

On the contrary, about every other comment on here is prefaced with he's not really a defensive midfielder. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/soumare-rodgers-leicester-5802805

I've not seen this article linked in here, apologies if it has, but interesting comments from Rodgers about developing Soumaré and wanting goals from him.

It must be an attraction to players we're interested in signing when we commence negotiations and we know all about their history, and then they're impressed that the coach understands their game and how they can improve further. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Here's what Rodgers said about Soumare in the post match conference after the Wolves match:

“The reason for bringing him in is the gap we had in the squad was whenever we lost Wilf, we lost that physicality out of the game – that power, height and dominance – and then when we lost Youri out of the team, we missed someone who could make the last pass. Bouba is a hybrid of both. He can play with Youri and also with Wilf.

“You see his qualities. He’s only going to get better. He’s 22 and coming into the Premier League and you see he takes lots of touches at the moment. So he’ll learn in time that the intensity and speed of the Premier League will limit his touches. But that will help his game.

“Overall, he’s a really exciting player with his running power and ability. And we want to get him up there – he hasn’t scored a lot of goals because he has been more played as a sitter behind in the game but we feel he can get forward more and threaten the goal a little more. You’ll see that over the course of the season.

You just beat me to it! Great comments from Rodgers. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Here's what Rodgers said about Soumare in the post match conference after the Wolves match:

“The reason for bringing him in is the gap we had in the squad was whenever we lost Wilf, we lost that physicality out of the game – that power, height and dominance – and then when we lost Youri out of the team, we missed someone who could make the last pass. Bouba is a hybrid of both. He can play with Youri and also with Wilf.

“You see his qualities. He’s only going to get better. He’s 22 and coming into the Premier League and you see he takes lots of touches at the moment. So he’ll learn in time that the intensity and speed of the Premier League will limit his touches. But that will help his game.

“Overall, he’s a really exciting player with his running power and ability. And we want to get him up there – he hasn’t scored a lot of goals because he has been more played as a sitter behind in the game but we feel he can get forward more and threaten the goal a little more. You’ll see that over the course of the season.

I love this, so clear there is a plan in the signing, his role and also how he can improve and fit in. So many signings going back to championship days were done seemingly with no apparent plan.

reason 1000000 why I love how the club is run now. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s the thing…. Amartey and Vestergaard got all the pelters because they’re Amartey and Vestergaard, but, I suspect he’s really disappointed with his prem debut as he was the worst out of the lot of them... He got done at least twice and was a bit too slow to move the ball

I have very little doubt from other games I’ve seen him that he’ll be fantastic, but, it wasn’t the most auspicious start… 

33 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I love this, so clear there is a plan in the signing, his role and also how he can improve and fit in. So many signings going back to championship days were done seemingly with no apparent plan.

reason 1000000 why I love how the club is run now. 

Totally agree. You can also see why he was the first one recruited; we had made contact and had a deal done with the player as early as February. Rodgers no doubt sick and tired of watching the team get hammered when Ndidi was out of the team. Losing Fofana and putting Ndidi in at CB against Spurs IMO cost us that game at the end of last season also.

I like that Rodgers is already pointing out he takes too many touches. I posted a great GIF earlier of Bouba riding several challenges against Man City, but the truth is that Rodgers will see that as bad play, Tielemans would have got his pass out to a team mate much faster instead of being fouled. But the upside is we have a player that can ride those challenges, so once he gets up to speed in the league and has that natural physical ability... well there's two players that spring to mind who could do that; Patrick Vieira and Yaya Toure. Toure incidentally wore the number 42 shirt, same as Soumare.

I think Bouba will look great in the Europa league and probably come into his own in the second half of the season, especially when Ndidi goes of to AFCON. Against Wolves I thought he was quite poor, but that game will have done him the world of good as it was a super competitive game and he was up against Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker who are all good Premier League quality midfielders.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/soumare-rodgers-leicester-5802805

I've not seen this article linked in here, apologies if it has, but interesting comments from Rodgers about developing Soumaré and wanting goals from him.

It must be an attraction to players we're interested in signing when we commence negotiations and we know all about their history, and then they're impressed that the coach understands their game and how they can improve further. 

17 mil. Gives me a chuckle watching him and the potential he has for the way we play. 22+- mil for Daka. Congerton, Rudkin and Co. are playing a blinder. So satisfying.

Thinking this man is going to be the key to our season once he gets up to strength. Going to finally make it possible to penetrate the midfields of other clubs and get the ball to our attacking players further down the field. We're getting killed in midfield and this is the guy to change that result.

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Thinking this man is going to be the key to our season once he gets up to strength. Going to finally make it possible to penetrate the midfields of other clubs and get the ball to our attacking players further down the field. We're getting killed in midfield and this is the guy to change that result.

We’re getting killed in midfield? After two games? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/08/2021 at 15:45, TJB-fox said:

We’re getting killed in midfield? After two games? 

Yes. In those 2 games we've been anonymous in the middle, is he not allowed to comment on the games so far? 

Maddison begging for the ball at times yesterday but the 1st reaction of Wilf and Youri has been to go backwards. 

Seems the attributes of this guy are currently badly needed. 

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Surely rodgers doesnt just see this guy as cover for ndidi/tielemans. He won Ligue 1 at 22 and has CL experience. Hopefully there's a plan to integrate him into the starting XI. Would be disappointed if he was just a choudhury/mendy upgrade.

I reckon he gets much more game time next month as we have a lot of games in quick succession, same with Daka, kdh and hopefully a new winger 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Yes. In those 2 games we've been anonymous in the middle, is he not allowed to comment on the games so far? 

Maddison begging for the ball at times yesterday but the 1st reaction of Wilf and Youri has been to go backwards. 

Seems the attributes of this guy are currently badly needed. 

Can't blame them. Maddison gave it away with a shit flick or pass almost every time 

• Haha 1