Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER...1980s LCFC TEAM

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Great International week OP 👏....but Alan Young over Alan Smith?!! Lol

Williams and.Smith and John O Neil were well.meaning honest plodders

Kevin Macdonald, Russell Osman, Kevin Campbell (if loanees count) need to be in consideration 

Andy Peake, Ian Banks and possibly 'killer' too. 

6 hours ago, stevejpos said:

GK - Mark Wallington
RB - Tommy Williams
LB - Bobby Smith

CB - John O'Neill
CB - Larry May

RM - Ali Mauchlen
LM - Steve Lynex

CM - Gary McAllister

CM - Ian Wilson

CF- Gary Lineker

CF- Alan Young

Not a bad selection.

We really did struggle for full-backs! 

Simon Morgan and Mark Venus  were quite underrated I think and deserve a mention. 

Russell Osman I'd have over Larry May and Big Bob Hazel must be in the mix for a squad place!.

Midfield 

Paul Ramsay and Paul Reid deserve a mention 

Mcdonald I think has to have a starting place.

Winger Cunningham although we didn't see him in his prime was probably one of the biggest names to have here in the 80s.

Peter Weir was a favourite as well. 

Up front 

Mike Newell has to be in the mix also along with Kevin Campbell. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevejpos said:

GK - Mark Wallington
RB - Tommy Williams
LB - Bobby Smith

CB - John O'Neill
CB - Larry May

RM - Ali Mauchlen
LM - Steve Lynex

CM - Gary McAllister

CM - Ian Wilson

CF- Gary Lineker

CF- Alan Young

my memory remembers Ally Mauchlen as a CM. Bit of a Hard man.

8 hours ago, stevejpos said:

GK - Mark Wallington
RB - Tommy Williams
LB - Bobby Smith

CB - John O'Neill
CB - Larry May

RM - Ali Mauchlen
LM - Steve Lynex

CM - Gary McAllister

CM - Ian Wilson

CF- Gary Lineker

CF- Alan Young

People recall the 80's as a shocking decade but we really did have some quality players. It was so sad that we never quite made it click to a level that we could seriously challenge for a trophy. Everyone and their dog winning European trophies just rubbed it in.

I like the OP's team. Some cult heroes there but I would add Russell Osman to the mix. Also Alan Smith, and Laurie Cunningham for an hour at most as a starter or as the ultimate impact sub.

10 hours ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Are we rightfully ignoring Alan Gooner Smith 

Rightfully? He should be in this team no question, second  name in there alongside Lineker.

People these days seem to have a weird precious dislike for him because he doesn’t mention us that much as a commentator. Who cares? He always seems like an affable person, most narcissistic and precious reason to dislike someone you can imagine tbh because they don’t talk about you enough. Football fans are so weird.

One of the best players we’ve ever had no question.

The likes of Alan Young and Mike Newell were decent enough players, but Alan Smith was clearly a good 2 or 3 levels above them. Kevin Campbell was great for the 5 minutes he was here in the Second Division and did give us a spark, but I’m not sure he even played 10 league games for us.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, majaco said:

My stand out memory of Lynex is his bombing down the right wing and crossing for an FA Cup quarter final goal.

That was generally how it happened. He'd sometimes beat the fullback and beat him again just to prove he could do it. If you wanted early crosses then Lynex wasn't your man, in all honesty, but he was shit-hot at penalties. I don't know how he ended up with a name that sounded like a heterocyclic aromatic polymer rather than a name as such, but there you go :)

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Rightfully? He should be in this team no question, second  name in there alongside Lineker.

People these days seem to have a weird precious dislike for him because he doesn’t mention us that much as a commentator. Who cares? He always seems like an affable person, most narcissistic and precious reason to dislike someone you can imagine tbh because they don’t talk about you enough. Football fans are so weird.

One of the best players we’ve ever had no question.

The likes of Alan Young and Mike Newell were decent enough players, but Alan Smith was clearly a good 2 or 3 levels above them. Kevin Campbell was great for the 5 minutes he was here in the Second Division and did give us a spark, but I’m not sure he even played 10 league games for us.

Fair play - just thought he may be dead to us in view of his consistent pulling for the opposition whoever we play 

11 hours ago, majaco said:

Further help required.  My stand out memory of Lynex is his bombing down the right wing and crossing for an FA Cup quarter final goal.

Is this how it happened?

IIRC this was in the 5th round . Quarter final was v Shrewsbury in the famous 3 keepers game . The semi final was a shockingly poor lifeless performance against Tottenham and a 2-0 loss . I think we could have played both the other semi finalists (QPR and WBA )on the same day and beaten them both 

16 minutes ago, surrifox said:

IIRC this was in the 5th round . Quarter final was v Shrewsbury in the famous 3 keepers game . The semi final was a shockingly poor lifeless performance against Tottenham and a 2-0 loss . I think we could have played both the other semi finalists (QPR and WBA )on the same day and beaten them both 

My memory has Melrose finishing the cross v Shrewsbury. 

GK - Wallington

RB - Mills 

LB - Wilson

CB - Osman

CB - Walsh

CM - Macdonald

AM - Macalister

RW - Lynex

LW - Cunningham

CF - Lineker

CF - Smith

Ok, a few liberties taken to shoehorn some favourites in, when Mills arrived he played more RM before ending up at RB later, I would ideally prefer Wilson in midfield, the middle of midfield is very creative but could do with either Rambo (Ramsey not Stallone) or Ali Mauchlen in there too to stop the opposition, Cunningham played as more of a CF for us and whilst didn't excel was always a pleasure to watch. Early era Walsh was capable of rash decisions and unnecessary confrontations at times but the raw talent was there. Similar to Cunningham' s selection I loved watching Peter Weir but he just misses out here along with another close call Gerry Daly. 

Ian Ormondroyd would have to be one of the substitutes. Sticks was like Ozakazi, if you looked at his actual performance levels then they weren't up to much, but things used to happen when he was around. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Tony Spearing - no, on second thoughts I'm not surprised at all.

58 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

Ian Ormondroyd would have to be one of the substitutes. Sticks was like Ozakazi, if you looked at his actual performance levels then they weren't up to much, but things used to happen when he was around. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Tony Spearing - no, on second thoughts I'm not surprised at all.

It's 80s team though???

Edited by nwl fox