Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stevejpos

GREATEST EVER...1980s LCFC TEAM

7 hours ago, DoveValleyFox said:

People recall the 80's as a shocking decade but we really did have some quality players. It was so sad that we never quite made it click to a level that we could seriously challenge for a trophy. Everyone and their dog winning European trophies just rubbed it in.

I like the OP's team. Some cult heroes there but I would add Russell Osman to the mix. Also Alan Smith, and Laurie Cunningham for an hour at most as a starter or as the ultimate impact sub.

Agree with Osman, and would replace Larry May. Not too sure why May faded, we all thought he was heading for the top. Would also put Eddie Kelly in midfield - he started with us in the late 70s but still did his midfield general bit in the early 80s. Never really saw what Ian Wilson brought to the team, but successive managers selected him, so what do I know? 

43 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

It's 80s team though???

You're right - my memory playing tricks on me. We got him as part of the deal, along with Phil Gee, that saw Paul Kitson move to Derby. Paul Kitson used to play for Leicester in the 80's, but I think he was only in the reserves, and he definitely belongs in the 1990's. 

24 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Steve Walsh has to be in anyone's team IMO. Absolute legend for us, although his best days didn't come until the 90's.

Disagree. Think Walsh wasn’t particularly great for us until Little took over in the 90s. He’d get in a 90s team but shouldn’t be in an 80s team. He was largely a mediocre Second Division defender for us until Little took over.

In an 80s team. He was part of the late 80s team which were a struggling Second Division side and one of the worst in the club’s history.

Some of the players from the early-mid 80s players like John O’Neill, Larry May, Russel Osman or Bob Hazell belong in an 80s side before Walsh.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

No mentions for Tony James?

This thread makes me think that we had some very good players during the 80s, just not that many of them.  A best XI almost picks itself.

Like Gary Mills, he came in 1989 and was way more of a 90s player.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

Like Gary Mills, he came in 1989 and was way more of a 90s player.

I know, but Mills has made a lot of people's best XIs, so in an era, not especially blessed with great centre halves, we can accommodate Tony James too.  1989 is still the eighties.

TJ was very good for us culminating in that goal that saved us in 1991 and was player of the year that same season, but soon after he broke his leg as I recall and never really got back to his best or regained his place in the team.

Just now, murphy said:

I know, but Mills has made a lot of people's best XIs, so in an era, not especially blessed with great centre halves, we can accommodate Tony James too.  1989 is still the eighties.

TJ was very good for us culminating in that goal that saved us in 1991 and was player of the year that same season, but soon after he broke his leg as I recall and never really got back to his best or regained his place in the team.

1989 is still the 80s. If you joined in the summer of 1989 you played like 4 or 5 months in the 80s. Don’t think anyone can be that good for 4 months to overhaul other players who were here years.

Yeah James will always be remembered for his Oxford goal. No one is doubting his place in the club’s (90s) history.

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

1989 is still the 80s. If you joined in the summer of 1989 you played like 4 or 5 months in the 80s. Don’t think anyone can be that good for 4 months to overhaul other players who were here years.

Yeah James will always be remembered for his Oxford goal. No one is doubting his place in the club’s (90s) history.

Who put you in charge?  lol   I didn't realise that I had to run it past you first.

Laurie Cunningham only played 15 times for us, yet makes some people's best XI.

Tony James really played 89-91 (although he left in 94) so played most of his City career on the cusp of both decades.

If I want Tony James in my XI I shall jolly well have him.  :)

Edited by murphy

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Who put you in charge?  lol   I didn't realise that I had to run it past you first.

Tony James really played 89-91 (although he left in 94) so played most of his City career on the cusp of both decades.

James is evil

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

Agree with Osman, and would replace Larry May. Not too sure why May faded, we all thought he was heading for the top. Would also put Eddie Kelly in midfield - he started with us in the late 70s but still did his midfield general bit in the early 80s. Never really saw what Ian Wilson brought to the team, but successive managers selected him, so what do I know? 

You are right about May,  it was a real shame. I recall that successive knee injuries seriously stalled his progress. He remained very highly regarded at Barnsley before injuries got him again at Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, murphy said:

I have vivid memories of Cunningham destroying Cov and Man Utd at home in the old first division. Cov was outrageous as we were poor apart from Cunningham,  who was untouchable.  He couldn't manage many full games for us but was still quality and a pleasure to watch in a Leicester shirt. 

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

There's a few in there that we could do with today.

Alister, Lynex, Smith, Lineker,

Walsh.

They would certainly improve the current team. Especially Walsh at the back.

Yes those five in particular would strengthen the squad. Maybe McDonald too. Love to see how lynex would do now. He wasn’t as athletic as todays footballer like the rest but different times now and new methods.  His best attribute was his tenacity. Relentless and didn’t ever give up having a go at the full back. 

• Like 1

Just as curve ball, Ian Andrews, had huge potential and we all thought he was gonna be like England no 3. I think he had some outstanding games but was inconsistent. But Andrews at his best arguabky beats Mark Wallington at his best 

All in all though, Lineker and Smith apart, what a shite 10 years that was. 

Guest StevieLynex
2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Just as curve ball, Ian Andrews, had huge potential and we all thought he was gonna be like England no 3. I think he had some outstanding games but was inconsistent. But Andrews at his best arguabky beats Mark Wallington at his best 

All in all though, Lineker and Smith apart, what a shite 10 years that was. 

A forward line of Smith, me and Lineker was one of the most exciting we have ever had, only subsequently surpassed by Mahrez and Vardy

On 28/03/2022 at 20:42, stevejpos said:

GK - Mark Wallington
RB - Tommy Williams
LB - Bobby Smith

CB - John O'Neill
CB - Larry May

RM - Ali Mauchlen
LM - Steve Lynex

CM - Gary McAllister

CM - Ian Wilson

CF- Gary Lineker

CF- Alan Young

Melrose instead of young. I personally never rated him 

On 29/03/2022 at 12:46, Sampson said:

Disagree. Think Walsh wasn’t particularly great for us until Little took over in the 90s. He’d get in a 90s team but shouldn’t be in an 80s team. He was largely a mediocre Second Division defender for us until Little took over.

In an 80s team. He was part of the late 80s team which were a struggling Second Division side and one of the worst in the club’s history.

Some of the players from the early-mid 80s players like John O’Neill, Larry May, Russel Osman or Bob Hazell belong in an 80s side before Walsh.

Agreed, Walsh is in my all time team, but many on the Kop were calling him a Donkey in the late 80s and although he wasn't that bad he was not the best .😬

Edited by los dedos

On 28/03/2022 at 20:42, stevejpos said:

GK - Mark Wallington
RB - Tommy Williams
LB - Bobby Smith

CB - John O'Neill
CB - Larry May

RM - Ali Mauchlen
LM - Steve Lynex

CM - Gary McAllister

CM - Ian Wilson

CF- Gary Lineker

CF- Alan Young

Alan Young better than (Premier League winner) Mike Newell. Not in my book. No comparison in terms of skill. 

A few others I would disagree with, but it’s late. Newell stuck out for me because he had so much time and skill on the ball. He always stood out as a class player; we didn’t have many in the 80’s. 

• Like 1