Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Man Utd 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

A satisfactory draw but we have good reason to feel unfairly denied the win. McTominay was treated inexplicably leniently for a clear red card offence that would have given us a distinct advantage against the disjointed and lethargic United. It felt like VAR were looking for any reason to disallow Maddison's goal, a forensic approach which doesn't seem to be used so much when it would be to the detriment of the greedy six.

We were good at times and looked threatening in attack, but woeful in conceding their equaliser. We were the better team, which maybe isn't saying much given how poor United are, but we were more confident and organised than in many games this season, which should set us up nicely for PSV. 

Edited by Arkie Bennett
  • Like 1

I wouldn't have been bothered about todays game only for VAR. We didn't have a lot to play for but we were done over badly today.

Even when Rodgers who doesn't normally make a habit of criticising officials is raging says it all.

I missed the first half but we put together some decent passages of play in the second half. It wasnt far off the worst Man Utd we faced in the Premier League era.

As long as we are ready to go for a much tougher game on Thursday :scarf:

14 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It wasn’t clear and obvious… that is the problem. Goal should have stood because that was the on field decision 

I don't really care that much for "clear and obvious" to be honest. It's just another thing for fans to cling onto when something goes for/against them. He hooked the leg and got nowhere near the ball, for me it's a foul. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Had Man Utd scored that and the goal stood, many many of our fans would have moaned that our defender had his leg hooked and why on earth does VAR not get involved.

We would have blamed Amartey for standing there like a 🍋 while old man Evans went to ground unnecessarily. We would have then turned on Rodgers for picking unfair players while blaming Youri for the poor pass that occurred 5 minutes earlier.

We would then have made a load of excuses for VAR not even checking it and Sky failing to show the replay while stating that Rashford had earned his way back in the England squad as he got an assist.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I don't really care that much for "clear and obvious" to be honest. It's just another thing for fans to cling onto when something goes for/against them. He hooked the leg and got nowhere near the ball, for me it's a foul. 

I agree, it is a foul, my problem is, does that get checked the other way? and mctominay should have gone too… look there is no hiding here for the decisions tonight, they were poor 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Clear and obvious isn't something the fans have made up. What about the red card that the ref bottled. Was that OK? 

• Like 3

VAR is consistent sometimes.   For instance, the amount of time  it takes ages to arbitrate against us to show there has been a clear and obvious error.  Like today.  Like the penalty against Arsenal.   

So as VAR is not always inconsistent,  it must sometimes be good.   So the rules being applied differently must be okay (not always obviously).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Right but even if the foul was given for the push, it still results in no goal. 

But a free kick to Leicester.

Either way, Var and it's inherent corruption was totally wrong in its outcome.

I don't agree with your assessment that it's a foul, but it's not a viable argument as none of it was right.

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I agree, it is a foul, my problem is, does that get checked the other way? and mctominay should have gone too… look there is no hiding here for the decisions tonight, they were poor 

Yep that's my main issue with VAR is the blatant top 6 favouritism 

• Like 1

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

I did not suggest fans did make it up? I just don't believe it's a sensible rule since fans will cling to it. Was a red card IMO. 

It's not a sensible rule. But it is a rule that is used whenever it suits. And it would of been used if man United had scored that goal we did. That's the problem. 

• Like 1

Just now, sishades said:

Just seen a replay of the disallowed goal....veranda clearly pushes Kel out of the way, so why was this not picked up by VAR?

Look it is farcical, but we still killed Man U’s chances of CL, so I’m happy. The league went for us back in jan so happy to ruin elite clubs and hopefully come away with yet another title they can’t gain. 

1 minute ago, FoxesTez said:

I can accept the decision for the foul, as others have said if that’s the other way round we would feel aggrieved if it wasn’t ruled out. How McTominay’s isn’t given as a red though is absolutely beyond me. 

Missing one is bad enough but two is just scandalous. If you give at least 1 in our favour its not so bad.

People will turn their backs on Football if this carries on.

Pleased with the performance today. We look so good with Evans and Fofana back, even if the latter was a little rusty. That is my first choice back four and they played so well, even if the goal they conceded was sloppy. But we controlled the match and were the much, much better side.

Maddison my man of the match, thank goodness that wild, reckless tackle from MacTominay didn't injure him. Disgraceful decision not show him a red, studs up, out of control, and with force. Clear and obvious error. I thought Mendy played well too, as did Evans.

We should have won in my opinion. We had them absolutely rattled. I honestly think, outside of Liverpool and Man City, we can beat anyone if we play to our best. Solid, pleasing performance but disappointing not to get a win.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tanya said:

Pleased with the performance today. We look so good with Evans and Fofana back, even if the latter was a little rusty. That is my first choice back four and they played so well, even if the goal they conceded was sloppy. But we controlled the match and were the much, much better side.

Maddison my man of the match, thank goodness that wild, reckless tackle from MacTominay didn't injure him. Disgraceful decision not show him a red, studs up, out of control, and with force. Clear and obvious error. I thought Mendy played well too, as did Evans.

We should have won in my opinion. We had them absolutely rattled. I honestly think, outside of Liverpool and Man City, we can beat anyone if we play to our best. Solid, pleasing performance but disappointing not to get a win.

Well said, Evans was very very good today as were several of them 2nd half.

49 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah it's a clear push. If anything you could argue that's not a fair tackle. It does not cause the hook of the leg though which is what I've seen a few people arguing. Just looking at Iheanacho's momentum from the push shows it did not cause the hook. 

Well tbh the angles they showed on sky there was only one that made it look like a foul, in real time and on 3/4 of the angles on sky it was so nondescript I can’t understand how they could claim it a clear and obvious error, especially considering they didn’t see the mctominay tackle in the same light. Surely the var check sees the initial push on iheanacho and then gives benefit of the doubt to the attacking team. 
I thought var was cutting back on unnecessary meddling this season yet it seems like this ‘foul’ was taken to the nth degree to get it ruled out, for which it was an extremely soft foul and didn’t warrant the reaction varane gave it. 
I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that Kel got fouled first yet they found anyway they could to disallow the goal due to a foul committed after, surely it would make sense if the referee saw neither the push nor the tangle of legs to just stick with on field decision? 
I just think it was comical, amateurish defending from Man U and they have milked a nondescript foul to get out of jail, despite varane fouling kel first. And it does seem corrupt and dodgy when they took 2 seconds to look at a red card challenge and deemed it not a clear and obvious error yet no more than a brushing of varanes leg from iheanacho clear and obvious to rule a goal out, that simply doesn’t add up