Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

Hardball is fine as a good principle, but its moronic in our situation, and I am not saying we bend over and take one, but a degree of pragmatism is certainly required on this transfer

(No blue tinted specs allowed at the negotiating table)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

You can talk about Tonali all you want. The baseline with Newcastle will be Gordon and £45 million fee. That we have Manchester United bidding a good sum for a player at Chelsea in the same position and contractural situation gives us a strong basis to ask for a good sum of dollar. 

No it won't - these are totally not valid baselines as we nor he are EPL any more and yes it always make an unfair difference

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Our league position matters naff all given Maddison's ability is proven in the top flight. This isn't Buendia who never played in the PL before. Ake is the nearest example but his position made that slightly different. 

There's no legitimate example before - so use Maddison as an England international and 20+ goal involvements in the PL last season as the baseline. 

Hope you are right, but cannot see it personally as the media enforced stigma demands a lower price for players in leagues beneath the EPL and regardless of their past league performances

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Hope you are right, but cannot see it personally as the media enforced stigma demands a lower price for players in leagues beneath the EPL and regardless of their past league performances

Pretty sure it was yourself (may be wrong) that was disregarding league stature to highlight what we should accept for Fofana as De Ligt went for x amount and was as good as him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Pretty sure it was yourself (may be wrong) that was disregarding league stature to highlight what we should accept for Fofana as De Ligt went for x amount and was as good as him.

I barely remember yesterday, so you could well be right, and if you are I will tut at my foolish previous self.  lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Our league position matters naff all given Maddison's ability is proven in the top flight. This isn't Buendia who never played in the PL before. Ake is the nearest example but his position made that slightly different. 

There's no legitimate example before - so use Maddison as an England international and 20+ goal involvements in the PL last season as the baseline. His ability doesn't change subject to his division. He's proven PL quality. 

So let's say we stick to our guns and insist on £60m, as we would be well within our rights to do so. Currently, Spurs and Newcastle don't appear to be falling over each other to match that valuation, or even come anywhere close to it. So it's probably going to go right down to the transfer deadline imho. Then what happens? How does this scenario play out? Do we then relent at the last minute? Or do we keep a (probably) sulky Maddison for one more year and see him leave for nothing next year?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

So let's say we stick to our guns and insist on £60m, as we would be well within our rights to do so. Currently, Spurs and Newcastle don't appear to be falling over each other to match that valuation, or even come anywhere close to it. So it's probably going to go right down to the transfer deadline imho. Then what happens? How does this scenario play out? Do we then relent at the last minute? Or do we keep a (probably) sulky Maddison for one more year and see him leave for nothing next year?

Agree 100% pragmatism not pride is needed at this point - get cash, invest, repeat = rebuild and then get promoted  :fc:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There's plenty of time here - particularly in the case of PL clubs - Maddison doesn't return to training until 10th to 14th July for us - that's three weeks to get this done. As along as we don't let it play out over August. 

Holding out for what we consider to be fair value is a huge reason why we’re in the mess we are in at the moment 

it’s only ever really worked with maguire  (because yanited are notoriously poor negotiators) 

we never got what we wanted for chilwell or fofana despite dragging out the process and compromising our own situation. Mahrez should have been sold the previous summer - we ended up with a player who wasn’t committed for a whole season.  We don’t know who we may have missed out on bringing in by holding onto him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

There's plenty of time here - particularly in the case of PL clubs - Maddison doesn't return to training until 10th to 14th July for us - that's three weeks to get this done. As along as we don't let it play out over August. 

This is the problem for me. They can wait us out all summer and watch us squirm. Maddison wants the move, and we (more than likely) need the sale. They know this. The dilemma is ours, not theirs.

5 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I understand this but buying clubs will have other options and you run the risk that they buy an alternative and there is then no way to say to spurs - newcastle are offering this so you have to match it 

look at rice and arsenal - I’m sure he was happy to sign for them but Arsenal’s dithering has enabled Man City to get involved and the player, whilst not originally considering Man City could easily be convinced to go there. 

Edited by st albans fox

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

This is the problem for me. They can wait us out all summer and watch us squirm. Maddison wants the move, and we (more than likely) need the sale. They know this. The dilemma is ours, not theirs.

Admittedly we must have an inner deadline but we can't give in straight away. Potentially affects our position in future deals too. 

10 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The issue isn't getting him out, it's getting players in. Holding out for say £50m over £45m is probably just not worth it. Better off quick investment in the players you want and have them training with the squad ASAP

• Like 4

Addison has got to be worth 50 + in this market. Proven..Good age. England International. He is a bit different as well. That does not mean I think he is worth that but that is the crazy world.of.football. I can't.see Newcastle signing two. That is then limiting where he can go a little.if I had to choose spurs or Leicester I would chose LCFC!!!

4 minutes ago, markko said:

Addison has got to be worth 50 + in this market. Proven..Good age. England International. He is a bit different as well. That does not mean I think he is worth that but that is the crazy world.of.football. I can't.see Newcastle signing two. That is then limiting where he can go a little.if I had to choose spurs or Leicester I would chose LCFC!!!

If you didn’t support either spurs or Leicester your not choosing us while we’re in the championship let’s me honest

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The issue isn't getting him out, it's getting players in. Holding out for say £50m over £45m is probably just not worth it. Better off quick investment in the players you want and have them training with the squad ASAP

I'm with you on this. Time is a big factor for us. 

44 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Admittedly we must have an inner deadline but we can't give in straight away. Potentially affects our position in future deals too. 

This I agree with, I saw no evidence of this pragmatic view last few windows, but it would be welcome and necessary

Well Rob Tanner reckons he could well still be here due to nobody really fancying him as a priority, he reckons Newcastle won`t prioritise him after Tonali, perhaps if Saint-Maximin leaves, and Spurs are just tight.

Have some of you ever run a business? He's an asset of the business, contracted and this isn't a charity club. He'll go at the right price the business owner has set. And please don't bring in moral or humanitarian arguments. If all offers fail to satisfy the needs of the business Maddison has no options. He'll be part of the team no matter what. If he pulls a Mahrez the business has every right according to the contract to punish him so he will have more time to play the abomination called FIFA 23.

Just now, Fear Of The Fox said:

Have some of you ever run a business? He's an asset of the business, contracted and this isn't a charity club. He'll go at the right price the business owner has set. And please don't bring in moral or humanitarian arguments. If all offers fail to satisfy the needs of the business Maddison has no options. He'll be part of the team no matter what. If he pulls a Mahrez the business has every right according to the contract to punish him so he will have more time to play the abomination called FIFA 23.

Yet you also don`t overprice your produce or let it go off

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Lord Sugar has entered the chat.