Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We absolutely can't afford to have him leaving the club on a free next summer. 

What if he stayed for the season and helped us get promotion. Surely that would be worth the money lost on the sale…

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Unless we got promoted... 

Just now, alanf0x said:

What if he stayed for the season and helped us get promotion. Surely that would be worth the money lost on the sale…

That would be a huge gamble though. Especially if we keep him and he is completely disinterested. 

I don't see a scenario where he stays with us this summer. 

• Like 1

Just now, alanf0x said:

And what if he stayed and we didn't go up? We got relegated with him in the team so there's no guarantee we'll get promoted with him in the team either. What if his hip starts playing up again?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

He’d be injured for at least half of it, nowhere near the level in terms of fitness/robustness needed for 46 league games.

Guaranteed to not turn up against Norwich or Cov either.

21 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

And if we don't , he is off for nothing and we are even more skint . He has to go now.

To me this is completely different to fofana. As wonderful as fofana was, it never felt like he was the difference between winning or loosing. 

If maddison stays, he would absolutely piss the league. Doesn’t seem like the type to fully down tools either. 

if we don’t get a fair price, who wouldn’t be excited to have him in the team.  Some of you lot have such a weird vendetta against him. Can’t be perfect all the time but he’s been brilliant for the majority of his time with us. I’ll agree that he doesn’t handle pressure situations very well but we would be lucky to have his talent on the books. 

Id imagine we’d push to get him sold on january. So again if we can get 20m for him then… 30m to potentially put us well placed for promotion could be worth it. 

All depends on who else is moved on and i’m sure that it’s probably just posturing to get more money but the only scenario i’m not happy with is one where we drop our pants for an entitled club 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

To me this is completely different to fofana. As wonderful as fofana was, it never felt like he was the difference between winning or loosing. 

If maddison stays, he would absolutely piss the league. Doesn’t seem like the type to fully down tools either. 

if we don’t get a fair price, who wouldn’t be excited to have him in the team.  Some of you lot have such a weird vendetta against him. Can’t be perfect all the time but he’s been brilliant for the majority of his time with us. I’ll agree that he doesn’t handle pressure situations very well but we would be lucky to have his talent on the books. 

Id imagine we’d push to get him sold on january. So again if we can get 20m for him then… 30m to potentially put us well placed for promotion could be worth it. 

All depends on who else is moved on and i’m sure that it’s probably just posturing to get more money but the only scenario i’m not happy with is one where we drop our pants for an entitled club 

I think it’s not an issue of him fully downing tools or not but when a professional is even 1% less committed and particularly for an attacking luxury like Madders, it stands out like a sore thumb.

We have to learn from recent mistakes and sell the lad preferably to the highest bidder.

11 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

What's your suggestion then? Accept a £20m offer for an English international? The fact we're playing in Championship has nothing to do with the value of certain players. 

A pragmatic view on his value. It (his value) decreases as the window progresses, as taken to its conclusion, he has zero value should the window shut in the Winter, and the closer that gets the lower his value. Yes there is an argument that he could be the difference between promotion and not, but that is a risk assessment that is impossible to make. So want 60? 50? but be willing to accept a lower value that has a floor of 35 as the window progresses.

If the club decides he needs to go, then the sooner the better for all concerned. I am very wary of hardball because we seem very poor at it, Vestergaard, Praet, Tielemans, Soyuncu (maybe?) all being contemporary cases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I think it’s not an issue of him fully downing tools or not but when a professional is even 1% less committed and particularly for an attacking luxury like Madders, it stands out like a sore thumb.

We have to learn from recent mistakes and sell the lad preferably to the highest bidder.

maybe i’ll be alone here but I don’t think maddison ever purposely  drops his levels. 

He is always the maddison show, if he plays he wants goals and assists and to be able to post on his socials. If he’s on the pitch he’s going to be trying to score 🤷‍♂️

Could be wrong about that but there’s not been any evidence of that before. He’s smart enough to know that won’t help him get a big move.  

Might be a few weeks where his heads not right but can’t see him not trying … especially now he’s in the england squad 

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

This is the problem for me. They can wait us out all summer and watch us squirm. Maddison wants the move, and we (more than likely) need the sale. They know this. The dilemma is ours, not theirs.

...just a secondary thought, there are two main assets that we would be willing to offload if Barnes was to be sold first, would that not alleviate the pressure regarding the sale of Maddison!!!

The only proviso is that we may not need the sale of Maddison in order to finance us, in this instance, but we cannot afford for him to walk having ran his contract down.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

That would be a huge gamble though. Especially if we keep him and he is completely disinterested. 

I don't see a scenario where he stays with us this summer. 

What about if no one is prepared to meet the asking price......I think this could be a long runner as despite his statistics he was dreadful after the world cup and was very much part of the problem last season ......personally I don't but that he suffered with confidence and was trying 100% - he threw it in like a number of them and I wonder if a top club would be prepared to pay £50m and Why should we sell him for less - Mount, Gordon other cases prove his value and rightly the owner may say no your not leaving for less! Could be an interesting few weeks and I would not be surprised at all to see him start preseason with us and unlike Donut Smith I am sure Enzo will only involve him if he is committed even if it is up the transfer window deadline!

Huge gamble maybe but may not be a choice and he needs to perform next season wherever he is ....i for one hope we never see him again in a blue shirt as he was one of the worst examples of shirking it and showing up when we needed it - I dont care what he did early in the season he bottled it big time and is never going to be a Top Top player imo

19 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

maybe i’ll be alone here but I don’t think maddison ever purposely  drops his levels. 

He is always the maddison show, if he plays he wants goals and assists and to be able to post on his socials. If he’s on the pitch he’s going to be trying to score 🤷‍♂️

Could be wrong about that but there’s not been any evidence of that before. He’s smart enough to know that won’t help him get a big move.  

Might be a few weeks where his heads not right but can’t see him not trying … especially now he’s in the england squad 

You're not alone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

What about if no one is prepared to meet the asking price......I think this could be a long runner as despite his statistics he was dreadful after the world cup and was very much part of the problem last season ......personally I don't but that he suffered with confidence and was trying 100% - he threw it in like a number of them and I wonder if a top club would be prepared to pay £50m and Why should we sell him for less - Mount, Gordon other cases prove his value and rightly the owner may say no your not leaving for less! Could be an interesting few weeks and I would not be surprised at all to see him start preseason with us and unlike Donut Smith I am sure Enzo will only involve him if he is committed even if it is up the transfer window deadline!

Huge gamble maybe but may not be a choice and he needs to perform next season wherever he is ....i for one hope we never see him again in a blue shirt as he was one of the worst examples of shirking it and showing up when we needed it - I dont care what he did early in the season he bottled it big time and is never going to be a Top Top player imo

Then at some stage we will have to take the best possible offer, even if it is below our asking price or risk having a £70k+ a week player when we aren't receiving anything like the TV revenue in the premier league who isn't fully committed who has had his share of injury problems to walk out of the door next summer for nothing. 

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Hardball is fine as a good principle, but its moronic in our situation, and I am not saying we bend over and take one, but a degree of pragmatism is certainly required on this transfer

(No blue tinted specs allowed at the negotiating table)

I doubt anyone on this forum rates Maddison as highly as me but £40m seems a reasonable deal, whilst I have no problem in us playing the game and getting as much as we can I also recognise our hand isn't great, we have to sell and our position gets weaker every day. We can't still be haggling half way through July and beyond.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

A pragmatic view on his value. It (his value) decreases as the window progresses, as taken to its conclusion, he has zero value should the window shut in the Winter, and the closer that gets the lower his value. Yes there is an argument that he could be the difference between promotion and not, but that is a risk assessment that is impossible to make. So want 60? 50? but be willing to accept a lower value that has a floor of 35 as the window progresses.

If the club decides he needs to go, then the sooner the better for all concerned. I am very wary of hardball because we seem very poor at it, Vestergaard, Praet, Tielemans, Soyuncu (maybe?) all being contemporary cases.

I would love to play poker against some of the posters on here. A mantra of showing strength whatever hand you have can work a lot of times but there'll be enough occasions when you run into an opposing strong hand or someone who thinks your bluffing and you lose everything.

Maddison has one year left and is a high value asset, we need to be aware that we're holding a weak hand. Whilst I think Maddison would be an asset to any club in the world we don't have Real, Bayern and Man Utd after him, it's Newcastle and Tottenham and his price has to reflect that it's two clubs who aren't elite of the elite.

I'd be happy enough at £40m but we don't want to be going into the last week of the transfer deadline, everyone done their business and Maddison has a face like a smacked arse with a £25m take it or leave it offer from Tottenham.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I would love to play poker against some of the posters on here. A mantra of showing strength whatever hand you have can work a lot of times but there'll be enough occasions when you run into an opposing strong hand or someone who thinks your bluffing and you lose everything.

Maddison has one year left and is a high value asset, we need to be aware that we're holding a weak hand. Whilst I think Maddison would be an asset to any club in the world we don't have Real, Bayern and Man Utd after him, it's Newcastle and Tottenham and his price has to reflect that it's two clubs who aren't elite of the elite.

I'd be happy enough at £40m but we don't want to be going into the last week of the transfer deadline, everyone done their business and Maddison has a face like a smacked arse with a £25m take it or leave it offer from Tottenham.

This is 100% correct.

I pop into this thread periodically and I still see people posting the same thing about him potentially staying or that we should hold out for £60m because someone else went for £50m and Maddison is better than them.

We have already lost Soyunchu and Tielemans on a free. We don't want to be in a position next summer where Maddison leaves for nothing or even in January where he leaves for next to nothing. That being said, the club will sell and fans will moan it's not enough.

The art of negotiation. We set our valuation high. A team bids low. We meet somewhere in the middle. It wont be as much as we would get should we have stayed in the Premier League. But thats the situation we are in.

He'll be a Premier League player next season.

• Like 2

Guest Kopfkino

Absolutely cuckoo to think it’s in anyone’s interest to have him still here and that we won’t have to drop our price when we get desperate for cash in the bank.

14 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Absolutely cuckoo to think it’s in anyone’s interest to have him still here and that we won’t have to drop our price when we get desperate for cash in the bank.

We won’t drop the price. We’ve seen this before. We will want £50m at least for him and we won’t budge on that. 

The thought of Fofana the sequel,  fills me with dread. Get him gone soonest and do not drag this out when we need the cash for our own rebuild.  But of course stiff the buyer as best we can in a time window that suits us.