Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

What everyone also seems to forget is that the player has a  choice in this. Someone could meet or even bid beyond our asking price but if he doesn't fancy it or the personal terms do not meet his expectations he can just as easily say no and see out his contract. We accepted offers for vestergaard last year and he refused to go

Edited by urban fox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, urban fox said:

What everyone also seems to forget is that the player has a  choice in this. Someone could meet or even bid beyond our asking price but if he doesn't fancy it or the personal terms do not meet his expectations he can just as easily say no and see out his contract. We accepted offers for vestergaard last year and he refused to go

It’s true, but Maddison will have regular England picks in his mind and that could recede if he stays here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Then at some stage we will have to take the best possible offer, even if it is below our asking price or risk having a £70k+ a week player when we aren't receiving anything like the TV revenue in the premier league who isn't fully committed who has had his share of injury problems to walk out of the door next summer for nothing. 

Be interesting in JM case as he would need to be absolutely flying for a Euro place or a decent move ............not saying I advocate letting him walk away for free but I think the circumstances in his case against YT are quite different - a return to the prem and its worth the £35m we give him away for - I wouldn't personally even though i dislike him immensely as a character

If Maddison is prepared to accept greatly reduced pay and wave goodbye to his international career then of course he could stay and every Championship defender will then target that dodgy hip. Jimmy is far from stupid and will be infuriated if the club price him out of a move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s true, but Maddison will have regular England picks in his mind and that could recede if he stays here

If he has regular England picks on his mind then he’ll want to be playing every match in a team built around him and his strengths. Which team would accommodate that?

Madders has a swagger and an air of confidence about him, it felt that last season was almost beneath him, being involved in a relegation dogfight, he sees himself, quite rightly as player who could and should belong at a club challenging for  Champions League, being in and around the England squad for the World Cup and now becoming a regular in the squad isn’t going to lessen that belief. 

Anyone who believes he would happily stay to play in the championship is seriously deluded. This would be on a par with West Ham getting relegated and people believing that Rice might hang around. 

He will go, it’s just a case of when and who blinks first. Will we panic and take a lower offer or will a couple of clubs come in and meet our asking price. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him end up at either of the Manchester clubs and us get somewhere in and around £50m 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tinpot_fox said:

If he has regular England picks on his mind then he’ll want to be playing every match in a team built around him and his strengths. Which team would accommodate that?

He is in the Championship, it’s moot

21 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Madders has a swagger and an air of confidence about him, it felt that last season was almost beneath him, being involved in a relegation dogfight, he sees himself, quite rightly as player who could and should belong at a club challenging for  Champions League, being in and around the England squad for the World Cup and now becoming a regular in the squad isn’t going to lessen that belief. 

Anyone who believes he would happily stay to play in the championship is seriously deluded. This would be on a par with West Ham getting relegated and people believing that Rice might hang around. 

He will go, it’s just a case of when and who blinks first. Will we panic and take a lower offer or will a couple of clubs come in and meet our asking price. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him end up at either of the Manchester clubs and us get somewhere in and around £50m 

Seems a front to me, anyone with that much inner swagger does not take as poor a penalty as that in a pressure situation. Everyone misses the odd one, the keeper can make a worldly save but a 10 year old could of saved that. That alone has probably lowered his value at least £5 million. 

Edited by Beachyboy

I just hope we don’t draw this out. We aren’t going to get 60 million for him. We need hungry players that want to be here. He wants to go, just lower the asking price and move on. Allow us to reinvest quicker. We’ve got form with this, and we end up not having time to replace players. If we don’t sell him because we’ve set 60 million on him and then he leaves for free next summer and we are still in the champ, then what? 

On sky sports news transfer show it’s saying we demanding £50 million at the minute which Newcastle won’t pay with this inter lad coming in. 
I reckon he ends up with spurs for £40 mill

Edited by Lesta2014

1 minute ago, Lesta2014 said:

On sky sports news transfer show it’s saying we demanding £50 million at the minute which Newcastle won’t pay with this inter lad coming in. 

Gotta box smart if we can only get that, get a player as well as the money then, they must have some midfielder they can value at £10 million so we save face or whatever. Even if he's only really a 5 million player.

Just now, Lesta2014 said:

We are demanding. That means we are naming our price. Newcastle won't pay it because they have just spent a bomb on another player. You pay the price (value). You don't go into a butchers and say I have a tenner  and the steak is 9.00 so you offer to pay 1.00 for the veal! Half the time Sky Sports talk absolute crap!

11 minutes ago, markko said:

We are demanding. That means we are naming our price. Newcastle won't pay it because they have just spent a bomb on another player. You pay the price (value). You don't go into a butchers and say I have a tenner  and the steak is 9.00 so you offer to pay 1.00 for the veal! Half the time Sky Sports talk absolute crap!

Half the time? I find it normally a lot more than that, especially those two muppets they drag in to talk about transfers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If Maddison is prepared to accept greatly reduced pay and wave goodbye to his international career then of course he could stay and every Championship defender will then target that dodgy hip. Jimmy is far from stupid and will be infuriated if the club price him out of a move.

...when you sign your 4 or 5-year contract for several million, you are agreeing to be bound by the 4 corners of the paper that you have signed!!!

Whatever price we choose to set. is down to the club, he (Maddison) agreed to be bound by the contract, so he can stop moaning at whatever price the club chooses to set.

Now one of his recourses may be to agitate for a move and internally create an unworkable environment or to run his contract down so that the club cannot benefit from his leaving.

The flip side of the club standing their ground is the precedent it sets for future players who may wish not to be in the same situation and choose to go to a club that is perceived to be more flexible.

The best that can be done in this scenario is that all parties sit down, agree on a price where any bids cannot be lower and work from there. So far as the player is concerned, if a team wants him that much they will meet the cost, if they do not, the club would have fulfilled their part in attempting to facilitate the move in good faith.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

It’s a negotiation…..

He will go but why take the first offer if you think it’s undervaluing then player and there is more than one bidder.

i don’t really care where he goes, great player on his day but his time here is done or at least will be by the end of the window 

19 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Once Rudders offers to bed Staveley as one of the ‘add-ons’ -  it will get done sharpish. 

Guest Col city fan

I think we need to be careful with this. 
Price him out the market and clubs will back off. Eg Newcastle are paying 60/70 mill for Tonali I believe? (Great midfielder in my opinion) rather than taking a punt on Maddison.

We need to price him realistically, get him gone and use the money to rebuild the squad.

How many weeks left now till season starts? 6/7?

If not, we might not offload him, have to play him in the Championship and let him go for nowt. That wouldn’t be good for either the club or the player.

But LCFC has just become bizarre over the past year or two. God knows what’s going on there 

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Price him out the market and clubs will back off. Eg Newcastle are paying 60/70 mill for Tonali I believe? (Great midfielder in my opinion) rather than taking a punt on Maddison.

We need to price him realistically, get him gone and use the money to rebuild the squad.

If not, we might not offload him, have to play him in the Championship and let him go for nowt. That wouldn’t be good for either the club or the player.

But LCFC has just become bizarre over the past year or two. God knows what’s going on there 

Maddison is less of a punt than Tonali, regardless of how good he's been in Italy.

Got to be realistic & am sure a 50m valuation is just the start of the negotiation BUT cannot afford for this to go on too long as we clearly need the funds to rebuild. I would not normally be concerned but last year has shaken my confidence in the club. 

I don’t think we’re as low on funds as we are all possibly thinking, wage bill has decreased massively following the relegation and players walking away for free. Plus the sales of low end players to come will free up money in both transfer fees and wages. 

Add to that we bring in Maresca which will be on a lower pay check than the experienced managers. 

Madders will go but for upwards of £50m for a current international, it is the minimum we should expect, when a less productive Havertz is moving for the price he is I do think it’s possible.

So we run the risk of losing him for free if we play hard ball, we could see him here until at least January and we pick up £30-35m and still make a profit on the fee we paid, with possibly the team in a position where an Instant return to the premier league is in sight. If that was the case I wouldn’t be too fussed what we got for him.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

In fairness to Madders your not merely taking a punt, he's a proven premier league player as opposed to Tonali. Newcastle have been after Madders for over a year for a reason. But they won't be getting both. One is more of a risk. 

From our perspective we do need to sell and tbh surely £40m has to be the mark. We really don't have time to mess around now if any rebuild is going to happen.