Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...am I missing something here or is this sarcasm!!!

I have always pictured Maddison at United or Spurs, two clubs his personality seems to fit with. I did not envisage him being here for more than 6 months when he signed, as that would be all it took for United to see him perform in the league and whisk him away.

I saw him in his first home game and was surprised by his lack of pace and lack of quickness of thought. That may have been the reason teams did not beat down our door, but he has now improved his game, his final ball was not all it should have been, and he stopped jumping out of tackles and started to believe in himself more. His injuries, however, will become a concern for potential buyers.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-postecoglou-is-really-trying-to-get-tottenham-to-sign-a-player-whos-quicker-than-heung-min-son/

Nearly choked I read this! Madders faster than Son? They're having a laugh.

2 hours ago, trooky said:

Chelsea are holding out for their £65 million valuation of Mount with a year left, we just need to hold our nerve and not sell Maddison for less than £50 million.

Upside of "holding our nerve" - we get £50m

Downside of "holding our nerve" - we get £0 and an unhappy player who walks away for nothing in a year

We are not in a position to dig our heels in a refuse to blink like Chelsea are seemingly doing with Mount.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Downside of "holding our nerve" - we get £0 and an unhappy player who walks away for nothing in a year

We are not in a position to dig our heels in a refuse to blink like Chelsea are seemingly doing with Mount.

It's poker isn't it, and Top and co will have done the calculations (hopefully), they'll know what they want based on clauses, and what they'll lose if he stays 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

we go need to get those who are going gone.  Tell newcastle and spurs to get their full and final in by 1st july

Or else what?

We really don't have much leverage here, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

Tell newcastle and spurs to get their full and final in by 1st july

And they would just laugh at us. Maddison, as talented as he is, is not a 'must have right now' player. Both Spurs and Newcastle will be more than ok starting the season without him. The only thing that might give them the hurry up is if Man Utd give up on chasing Mount and decide to get involved.

24 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

And they would just laugh at us. Maddison, as talented as he is, is not a 'must have right now' player. Both Spurs and Newcastle will be more than ok starting the season without him. The only thing that might give them the hurry up is if Man Utd give up on chasing Mount and decide to get involved.

I dont rate mount... but he is tougher than madderson 

• Like 1

i think we need to sell either mads or barnes for slightly less than we hoped, then that gives us the power to hold out for more for the other. 

logic suggests it should be mads who goes first because of the contract situation. we don’t have to budge on harvey. 

What’s annoying is we will spend all summer posturing and haggling and end up with 3m more than the first offer 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

i think we need to sell either mads or barnes for slightly less than we hoped, then that gives us the power to hold out for more for the other. 

logic suggests it should be mads who goes first because of the contract situation. we don’t have to budge on harvey. 

What’s annoying is we will spend all summer posturing and haggling and end up with 3m more than the first offer 

Tend to agree, and sone random fictional Italian journo quoted in a non fake GiveMeSport  article states Newcastle are still willing to pay £38m plus add-ins. Not saying I believe the article, but it’s a figure that would (should?) be of interest …… possibly 

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

This is a repeat of the Tielemans fantasy some had last summer, that we can place arbitrary deadlines, play hardball etc.

Just nonsense as you say, in the situation the player and any buying club hold all the aces.  A bidding war is the best we can hope for.  

Agree. Get them out quick and get a soft cushion, it’s inevitable unless we want to get even less toward the end of the window. We have no power when it comes to Maddison

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

This is a repeat of the Tielemans fantasy some had last summer, that we can place arbitrary deadlines, play hardball etc.

Just nonsense as you say, in this situation the player and any buying club hold all the aces.  A bidding war is the best we can hope for.  

...well, we didn't sell him and the process dragged on throughout the season!!!

A deadline would have allowed us to focus on building the team as well as allowing us to concentrate on setting out the way we wished to play. We had a season to get on with, away from the distraction of other teams playing games.

We lost Youri due to him running his contract down, and we are getting nothing for him, if we had set that arbitrary deadline, we could have moved on a lot quicker without the speculation following us all season and put the matter to bed, on our terms.

9 hours ago, Gerard said:

Honestly hope the Mount deal falls through and they come for Madders instead.

13 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

we go need to get those who are going gone.  Tell newcastle and spurs to get their full and final in by 1st july

We have zero leverage, things don’t work that way just because we want them to. 

• Like 1

Get this deal done as quickly as possible so we can start doing our own business. 

I know we'll probably hold out for how much we value him, but if there's an offer that's just shy of it, take it. It's the main piece of business we'll do, so get it sorted sharpish. 

If we value him at £65m for instance, and Spurs want to pay only. £60m, just settle it there. 

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

This seems to be lingering on for too long.

Unless he wants to stay?

It is?

he only finished his season last weekend 

he’s on holiday 

his agent knows where he wants to go (at the moment unless a surprise approach crops up from Manchester) 

his agent has already agreed personal terms with spurs 

it’s up to spurs to come to an agreement with us - don’t expect that to be done quickly - it’s not how levy works (or us for that matter) 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It is?

he only finished his season last weekend 

he’s on holiday 

his agent knows where he wants to go (at the moment unless a surprise approach crops up from Manchester) 

his agent has already agreed personal terms with spurs 

it’s up to spurs to come to an agreement with us - don’t expect that to be done quickly - it’s not how levy works (or us for that matter) 

Levy always tries to lowball clubs and at some point we may need to cash in,  even if we are a few million below our asking price,  so we can fund incomings.  We don’t need to have players in training sulking and impacting the group.

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know swap deals are notoriously rare but if we are on about going to 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 then Spurs would definitely be open to £25m + Sessegnon and Spence I reckon.

In our situation I agree we should be open to all options to reshape the squad. 

• Like 2