Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

10 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

Surprised he hasn't gone already. Hope we don't lose him right at the end of the transfer window and then not have time to replace him!!

IT's tricky.  My take is that both newcastle and spurs are in  no hurry and believe that we will cave in re price.  Basically we have to decide if we want him gone (saving wages and brining in cash).  WE must face the fact that he is unlikely to attract interest from other clubs (injury record and inconsistent form).  Either we sit there and get picked off late in the transfer window - or we proactively offer him around for say 40mil and try to find a bidder to spark the others into action.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

IT's tricky.  My take is that both newcastle and spurs and i no hurry and believe that we will cave in re price.  Basically we have to decide if we want him gone (saving wages and brining in cash).  WE must face the fact that he is unlikely to attracted interest form other clubs (injury record and inconsistent form).  Either we sit there and get picked off late in the transfer window - or we proactively offer him around for say 40mil and try to find a bidder to spark he others into action.

Exactly. People can’t seem to understand that we have such a weak hands in these negotiations. Why are people surprised he’s still here when it’s in buying club’s interest to let us stew when everyone knows we have to sell?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Exactly. People can’t seem to understand that we have such a weak hands in these negotiations. Why are people surprised he’s still here when it’s in buying club’s interest to let us stew when everyone knows we have to sell?

You assume there is only one potential buyer.  There is not only one potential buyer.  As I have said before, he will go this summer, and for a reasonable price, so they risk losing out and paying over the odds for someone worse if they wait too long.  If you are Spurs, you also risk losing Kane as he doesn't believe in the project.  The first 4 or 5 games without him could also be the deciding factor in making it into Europe next season.  

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

lol Levy.

All I can hope is that the people negotiating on our side have learned lessons and will take a harder line. Be fair in negotiations but be realistic and firm with deadlines and the price we're willing to sell at. If this goes into mid July and his future for this season isn't decided then we've messed up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol Levy.

All I can hope is that the people negotiating on our side have learned lessons and will take a harder line. Be fair in negotiations but be realistic and firm with deadlines and the price we're willing to sell at. If this goes into mid July and his future for this season isn't decided then we've messed up.

We have sold one player for serious money in the last three years , we have very little experience.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We have sold one player for serious money in the last three years , we have very little experience.

It's the fact we let it drag on that annoys me. We leave ourselves so little time to operate because we want to squabble over a few million. Levy will happily let it drag out till August if we let him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's the fact we let it drag on that annoys me. We leave ourselves so little time to operate because we want to squabble over a few million. Levy will happily let it drag out till August if we let him.

Top needs to come out and say he will go at this price by this date. Try to play Levy and Maddison’s agent at their own game in the press. Put the figure they want out there and stand firm.  

If for some reason Maddison is here next season I don’t believe he will down tools.  He cares too much about brand Maddison and what people say about him.  

Edited by Richmondfox
  • Like 1

Just now, Richmondfox said:

Top needs to come out and say he will go at this price by this date. Try to play Levy and Maddison’s agent at their own game in the press. Put the figure they want out there and stand firm.  

If for some reason Maddison is here next season I don’t believe he till down tools.  He cares too much about brand Maddison and what people say about him.  

I'd agree get it out there. There's no need to be coy or to engage in brinksmanship. We have an asset, we're willing to sell at this amount. He's only for sale until 7th July. After that any bids will be rejected as we need to sort our squad out and don't want to spend half the summer wondering what we can spend.

At a certain price/date it becomes detrimental to us. Newcastle pulled out of the race this week as they want their business done early.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

If for some reason Maddison is here next season I don’t believe he will down tools.  He cares too much about brand Maddison and what people say about him.  

Top who didn't even come out and say anything to fans as we plunged to relegation week by week? Bar of course the AI written Programme notes and statement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You assume there is only one potential buyer.  There is not only one potential buyer.  As I have said before, he will go this summer, and for a reasonable price, so they risk losing out and paying over the odds for someone worse if they wait too long.  If you are Spurs, you also risk losing Kane as he doesn't believe in the project.  The first 4 or 5 games without him could also be the deciding factor in making it into Europe next season.  

Jon, I think we need to tout him around to get an opening bid asap.  Surely the club and his agent have a common cause here?

On 24/06/2023 at 11:41, sacreblueits442 said:

...not if Spurs is Maddison's preferred destination!!!

Champions League is a big draw. Spurs don't have it and will be lucky to get it next season. Newcastle have it and have the financial capacity to keep it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

4 in the last 5 years

2018 - Mahrez

2019 - Maguire

2020 - Chilwell

2021 - No one

2022 - Fofana

We have had plenty of experience of getting big money for our players

We do, but we was in a ALOT stronger position then!

30 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I doubt they're letting it 'drag on' as you put it out of choice are they, You can't forcibly sell what no-one wants to buy at the price you want!

Chairman like Levy know exactly that we're in a very weak position ie we have to sell and therefore will drag it out for as long as he can to pay as little as he can, why wouldn't he, he'd be absolutely stupid not to.

Unless Newcastle or someone else come in with a very reasonable bid to force Levy's hand, he ain't going to flinch for a long time yet. It really isn't a case of us 'letting him', I don't know why it's so difficult to understand. It happens every year to relegated clubs, it isn't new.

It doesn't help that Maddison has a very limited market either despite what some of his supporters think. He's just not good enough for a top team like Manchester City or Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea don't need him, foreign clubs won't pay the money, which basically leaves Spurs, Newcastle and a very outside chance Manchester United and I don't envisage that last one either really. 

We're over a barrel basically and the club can't do much about it. I think 40-45m will get him nearer deadline day. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I doubt they're letting it 'drag on' as you put it out of choice are they, You can't forcibly sell what no-one wants to buy at the price you want!

Chairman like Levy know exactly that we're in a very weak position ie we have to sell and therefore will drag it out for as long as he can to pay as little as he can, why wouldn't he, he'd be absolutely stupid not to.

Unless Newcastle or someone else come in with a very reasonable bid to force Levy's hand, he ain't going to flinch for a long time yet. It really isn't a case of us 'letting him', I don't know why it's so difficult to understand. It happens every year to relegated clubs, it isn't new.

It doesn't help that Maddison has a very limited market either despite what some of his supporters think. He's just not good enough for a top team like Manchester City or Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea don't need him, foreign clubs won't pay the money, which basically leaves Spurs, Newcastle and a very outside chance Manchester United and I don't envisage that last one either really. 

We're over a barrel basically and the club can't do much about it. I think 40-45m will get him nearer deadline day. 

Think this is bang on unfortunately

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

4 in the last 5 years

2018 - Mahrez

2019 - Maguire

2020 - Chilwell

2021 - No one

2022 - Fofana

That's what I said one player in the last three years. In fact we have sold very few players at all compared with similar clubs.

"The art of the deal, by Foxestalk"

You have to love people telling the club what to do, and criticising them for what they have or have't done in a scenario that's entirely fictional, because none of us knows what's happening.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

4 in the last 5 years

2018 - Mahrez

2019 - Maguire

2020 - Chilwell

2021 - No one

2022 - Fofana

2021 would have been where we should have sold Tielemans (obviously if he was playing well and had more years on his deal)

Or even Soyuncu thinking about it

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

you wont be getting more than 45m for madders, never mind any player inclusions    

Someone offers close to that, and we don't accept then we're off our heads. 

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Someone offers close to that, and we don't accept then we're off our heads. 

i think our public protestations of £60m are to try and force a sale around 45m

i see konur (who is more often wrong than right) has touted villa being interested.  tbh, if madders could stick a release clause of £50m into a deal then maybe he'd do it - no need to move home whilst his wife is carrying their twins. 

villa could hijack the dithering of spurs on the fee 

• Like 1