Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

3 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

£30m? I'd be sitting down with Maddison and his agent and saying "There's a minimum viable fee we will accept for you, if it's not met then you will have to stay for the season, as a player of your calibre is much more likely to help us achieve promotion - and promotion is the only thing that will offset the financial hit we will take when you leave on a free."

Madders and his agent need to put pressure on the bidding clubs if he wants that move. Yeah, he can leave on a free, but does he want to take the reputational hit of playing in the Championship?

The problem with this is though that the higher the fee, the lower the sign on bonus etc.  Maddison will want to leave for £25-30M as he will make more money from it.  He will not give a damn about what is fair to Leicester.  In fact going down is much better for him than for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The problem with this is though that the higher the fee, the lower the sign on bonus etc.  Maddison will want to leave for £25-30M as he will make more money from it.  He will not give a damn about what is fair to Leicester.  In fact going down is much better for him than for us.

another indictment on our approach last season. It should have been made clear to all players agents after the World Cup that the club was not in any financial difficulties and if we were relegated then players would be expected to stay for the championship campaign on their reduced salaries. 

but we never seriously embraced relegation until it was too late.  Agents would have been letting the players know that relegation was actually not going to be a financial issue for the majority of them because transfers would be needed to balance the books and players would get more money in their pockets if we were a championship club. 

faes, VK and souttar’s - it mattered to them big time because they would know that they wouldn’t be sold because they had long contracts. but only faes was playing consistently ! 

we played way too many who had no financial interest in our survival. 

• Like 2

Someone will bite the bullet and pay what we want for him. 

In an ideal world, Bernardo Silva choose Saudi and we take a players + cash deal from Man City for Maddison as that would reduce what we pay Norwich as a sell on.

I think he would excel for them. 

23 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

He will if it means a season in the Championship before he can leave. 

12 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Maddison can’t really win here. If someone doesn’t offer what’s acceptable he will be forced to be here for the remainder of his contract and if he goes on strike it won’t look good for any future moves he could make. 

or the Euros Squad

37 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

or the Euros Squad

Southgate will not select Championship players. He never has and he won't start now. Is that Maddison's main consideration? No , its money and even if we didn't try to cut his pay , we are still not paying enough.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1

I think if we forced maddison to stay for 6 months we’d still get 10-15m in jan. 

Don’t think madison would sit in the championship for a full year. Someone would be in a desperate situation. 

He worked damn hard to get in the england side, can’t see him giving that up for a few mill.  He’ll see that it didn’t work out so well for youri 

51 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

He will if it means a season in the Championship before he can leave. 

I am not sure you understand.  He would prefer to go for the lowest price possible, hence why there are stories coming out about his frustration on his price etc.

He will piss and moan until he goes.  He definitely will not be here at the end of the transfer window.  We should be getting £60M + but we will probably settle on about £45M which he will be happy with. An extra £5m signing bonus coming his way!!

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I am not sure you understand.  He would prefer to go for the lowest price possible, hence why there are stories coming out about his frustration on his price etc.

He will piss and moan until he goes.  He definitely will not be here at the end of the transfer window.  We should be getting £60M + but we will probably settle on about £45M which he will be happy with. An extra £5m signing bonus coming his way!!

I was mainly referring to Spurs' £30m offer - there's no way he's going for that, and I agree that we will have a minimum acceptable price, my point was that it's in JM and his agent's best interest to get us to a price we're happy to sell for. Agree it will likely be in the region of about £45m, with a mixture of realistic/unrealistic add-ons driving the fee up a bit.

12 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

He won’t go for less than £50 million. Despite being relegated the club aren’t prepared to have the piss taken out of them. Statistically he’s in the top 5 attacking midfielders in English football. 

34 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Southgate will not select Championship players. He never has and he won't start now. Is that Maddison's main consideration? No , its money and even if we didn't try to cut his pay , we are still not paying enough.

Pretty sure Kalvin phillips played for England when Leeds were still in the championship. 

• Like 3

The fact that Chelsea are reportedly rejecting £55m for Mason Mount who similarly has a year left on his contract speaks volumes. Granted Chelsea haven't been relegated so Mount will happily stay there but Maddison can not be leaving the club for less than £50m. 

If Tottenham or Newcastle or even City want him, they will need to pay that amount at least or Maddison needs to gear up to help us get promoted. I think it's going to drag on but I think eventually we'll get that amount before the start of next season, we need to just be clear and say if it ain't that much it ain't happening.

7 minutes ago, superfox1980 said:

Pretty sure Kalvin phillips played for England when Leeds were still in the championship. 

I think that was just after they were promoted ,summer 2020 but OK I could be wrong there.

Just now, GingerrrFox said:

He won’t go for less than £50 million. Despite being relegated the club aren’t prepared to have the piss taken out of them. Statistically he’s in the top 5 attacking midfielders in English football. 

I thought we would not settle for the money we got for Fofana but we did.  We should be holding out for far more than £50M ( We got more than that for Chilwell) but we won't.  And because we have let him get down to 12 months left on his contract we have even less bargaining than before. 

It is ok saying he would be worth more if we go up and let him leave on a free but there is no guarantee that we will go up and he would be no where near the England squad come the Euros.

3 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

The fact that Chelsea are reportedly rejecting £55m for Mason Mount who similarly has a year left on his contract speaks volumes. Granted Chelsea haven't been relegated so Mount will happily stay there but Maddison can not be leaving the club for less than £50m. 

If Tottenham or Newcastle or even City want him, they will need to pay that amount at least or Maddison needs to gear up to help us get promoted. I think it's going to drag on but I think eventually we'll get that amount before the start of next season, we need to just be clear and say if it ain't that much it ain't happening.

We're in a slightly different financial position to Chelsea!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viva said:

We're in a slightly different financial position to Chelsea!

That's true but tbh that's why we want Maddison for £50m - if we'd have stayed up I would expect we'd want £60-70m for him to go this summer.

Regardless of who is selling him or who wants to buy him, Mason Mount with 1-year left on his contract is not worth £55m at all.

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

We're over a barrel basically and the club can't do much about it. I think 40-45m will get him nearer deadline day. 

Here's where I disagree. Things go wrong all the time, if we end up keeping him because Spurs didn't want to meet our demands then that's fine. We go into the season with Maddison.

If you get the player on board and say "this is what we'll accept but we need a decision by a certain date" then any half reasonable person will shake hands and say fair enough.

You can bet the players agent will be doing his level best to get the deal over the line asap then.

• Like 1

We're now a Championship team, we're not going to be able to play hard ball like we used to. Other teams are also going to know that we've taken a financial hit, the owners are not investing what they used to and need money to fund incomings. They'll also know that we had known issues with players running their contracts down who didn't want to be here which contributed to the relegation and won't want a second round of the Tielemans situation with Maddison.

Clubs are going to take advantage of us, that's the reality of relegation. We aren't getting £50M for him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

That's true but tbh that's why we want Maddison for £50m - if we'd have stayed up I would expect we'd want £60-70m for him to go this summer.

Regardless of who is selling him or who wants to buy him, Mason Mount with 1-year left on his contract is not worth £55m at all.

We can't afford to let Maddison go for free next summer. That's the difference why Chelsea can push for a higher fee and we can't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viva said:

We can't afford to let Maddison go for free next summer. That's the difference why Chelsea can push for a higher fee and we can't. 

I don't think he will go for free, we'll get what we want for him but some clubs (mostly Spurs if links are to be believed) think they can take the p**s with crap offers and wasting our time.

At the end of the day if somehow we didn't sell him and he stayed and played for us, he would be the best player in the league and we'd surely be promoted so wouldn't be the end of the world losing him for free in that scenario. 

A lot of if's and but's though and being Leicester it never goes the way it's supposed to. 

2 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

At the end of the day if somehow we didn't sell him and he stayed and played for us, he would be the best player in the league and we'd surely be promoted so wouldn't be the end of the world losing him for free in that scenario. 

There's also the high chance he'd respond by downing tools and creating a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room.

24 minutes ago, Viva said:

Wouldn’t worry about it. He’ll be going this summer.