Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

What an hilarious thing to wake up to, £40 million is seriously insulting, despite all the ambition Newcastle have, if they are going to operate like Arsenal by bidding insulting amounts, they are going to become a laughing stock. For Maddison it has to be 80 million +, you can’t be considering anything lower than that. 

Unfortunately though, despite the comments slagging off Newcastle, despite the comments saying “We’d be stupid if we sold our best player”. As Finners perfectly said a few pages back, welcome to the new World, Newcastle are coming whether we like it or not, whether it takes 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, the norm will be Newcastle trying to show ambition until they assemble a squad capable enough of breaking the top four, players like Maddison will go a long way in helping that. 

As for being stupid if we sold our best player, unfortunately without challenging for European football, that will probably become the norm too. We’ve already seen it with Tielemans, keeping hold of a player in hope we constantly get European football, we failed to do so last season, now we have a player unsurprisingly reluctant to sign a new deal, who we could well lose on a free next summer. 

Without the attraction of European football, in the next few years, you could see this cycle snowball, to the point where losing Maddison is inevitable, plus the likes of Fofana & Ndidi too.

All we can wish for is that these types of players are attracted enough to sign new contracts, but as we’ve seen with Tielemans & Soyuncu, we can’t be left with situations like that over the next couple of summers, by 2024 we could see ourselves in a right pickle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

I have no doubt that he will be gone ! Unless he signs a new contract with 2 years left his value starts to drop now, £60m and he leaves without a shadow of doubt 

Which is what we should have done with Youri.

We have to learn from that and make sure we don't get in the position again.

Nothing wrong with being a sell club at the right price and using that money to go again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Which is what we should have done with Youri.

We have to learn from that and make sure we don't get in the position again.

Nothing wrong with being a sell club at the right price and using that money to go again.

It’s a nigh on thankless task, because sell the players and it shows a perceived lack of ambition and players and manager look elsewhere. But don’t sell and you just kick the can down the road, you’re delaying the inevitable. 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Absolutely spot on

Agreed also. It does feel to me that if we can’t bring anybody better in and the odds don’t look good then we should try and keep the nucleus of the squad together this summer if we can. Sell the players we want to move on if we can but that won’t be quick or easy. If we can start the new season with the players and in the manner we ended then I would take that right now. We have been successful and what we are seeing now is an inevitable consequence of that. We just need to execute the strategy on our terms and keep proving people wrong. 

5 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Newcastle are coming whether we like it or not, whether it takes 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, the norm will be Newcastle trying to show ambition until they assemble a squad capable enough of breaking the top four, players like Maddison will go a long way in helping that. 

It only took Newcastle 1 January window to almost catch us up. They only finished 3 points behind us. 

>>It is unknown whether the former Coventry midfielder, who joined Leicester from Norwich City for £20m in 2018, would be in favour of a move to St James' Park.<<

from a BBC article that just came out confirming we rejected the 40m bid. So its clear that Newcastle journo saying Madders is keen on a move was just waffling. Shock horror

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Too simplistic an interpretation of our situation. 

we need to sell to free up squad space and wage budget. or we could just loan out those who we don’t want in the squad later in august and carry on with the seventh best squad in the league 

Spot on. The media are loving trying to make a big deal out of us not signing anyone. We're not broke like some would have us believe, just need to shift some wages and reduce the squad. We could sell Maddison for £50m but if we don't manage to get rid of anyone else, our squad would still be too big but much weaker and we still wouldn't be able to sign anyone. Get Maddison offered a new longer term contract ASAP 

This sell to buy thing has been misconstrued, imo. I thought it was losing the likes of Tielemans, Soyuncu and a few fringe players so you then bring in a first teamer, a very capable third choice and players pushing to be involved that are better than Perez, Choudhury etc whilst reducing the wage bill.

If we had to sell the first teamers they'd be virtually gone from the first bid and I didn't see selling Maddison, Fofana, Barnes being in Rodgers or the club's plans. The media noise isn't helping but I don't believe we've veered from the original plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Corky said:

This sell to buy thing has been misconstrued, imo. I thought it was losing the likes of Tielemans, Soyuncu and a few fringe players so you then bring in a first teamer, a very capable third choice and players pushing to be involved that are better than Perez, Choudhury etc whilst reducing the wage bill.

If we had to sell the first teamers they'd be virtually gone from the first bid and I didn't see selling Maddison, Fofana, Barnes being in Rodgers or the club's plans. The media noise isn't helping but I don't believe we've veered from the original plan.

That’s what we wanted to do, but so far it hasn’t been forthcoming.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It’s a nigh on thankless task, because sell the players and it shows a perceived lack of ambition and players and manager look elsewhere. But don’t sell and you just kick the can down the road, you’re delaying the inevitable. 

Yes it is, I suppose its about balance.

The art is to do it and keep delivering on the promise of being the best of the rest. 

I know a lot would moan but finishing 8th again and have good cup runs, playing attack football would still be a good season in my book. 

I would love to know what BR take is on it, does this summer make him lose interest? 

I suspect bids like this come in all the time for all sorts of players, I'm not worried - the fact it has been leaked is probably an agent angling for better contact terms or Newcastle trying to put pressure on another target or even just to show the fans that they have ambitions

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That’s what we wanted to do, but so far it hasn’t been forthcoming.

I know, so in effect we're in the same position as last year. Therefore, why would we sign somebody to replace Tielemans if he is still with us?

If we have to sell half the first team then get on with it and take the money offered.

1 hour ago, Fox 4 Life said:

I thought our wage structure was ****ed, how can we offer him more without selling?

We've lots of offers on the table/already rejected.

We could already have gotten rid of Praet for £7m, Castagne to Atletico who have had a number of bids knocked back, Soumare to Monaco for €15m, Schmeichel to Nice etc

Our situation is very confusing because it's clear we seem to have to move players on but that we aren't so desperate we will agree to below our asking price but that will change if we get in to the final week or two of the window which makes little sense given we aren't in a strong negotiating position for fringe players.

I still think we'll sell someone we view an important player such as Iheanacho or Castagne but we could afford to offer Maddison a new deal simply by agreeing to all these offers we are getting. We'd have cleared best part of £400k a week already if we'd agreed to them.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan

I think the reality could well be that we do veer away from ‘the plan’ (if there is a plan) if and only if the bids we get for our better players are big. Like 60m big for Maddison.

I think this could happen because we can’t seem to offload the ‘deadwood’.

If we’d had concrete bids accepted for Amartey, Perez, Vestie etc the club would not need to even contemplate selling the better players.

But we haven’t got rid of them

I doubt that not making a single sale in this transfer window was ever part of any plan.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

We could already have gotten rid of Praet for £7m, Castagne to Atletico who have had a number of bids knocked back, Soumare to Monaco for €15m, Schmeichel to Nice etc

Our situation is very confusing because it's clear we seem to have to move players on but that we aren't so desperate we will agree to below our asking price but that will change if we get in to the final week or two of the window which makes little sense given we aren't in a strong negotiating position for fringe players.

I still think we'll sell someone we view an important player such as Iheanacho or Castagne but we could afford to offer Maddison a new deal simply by agreeing to all these offers we are getting. We'd have cleared best part of £400k a week already if we'd agreed to them.

The Southampton pair dont help 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, all the media noise doesn't really tally with the current approach.

• Like 2