Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Maddison

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We've lots of offers on the table/already rejected.

We could already have gotten rid of Praet for £7m, Castagne to Atletico who have had a number of bids knocked back, Soumare to Monaco for €15m, Schmeichel to Nice etc

Our situation is very confusing because it's clear we seem to have to move players on but that we aren't so desperate we will agree to below our asking price but that will change if we get in to the final week or two of the window which makes little sense given we aren't in a strong negotiating position for fringe players.

I still think we'll sell someone we view an important player such as Iheanacho or Castagne but we could afford to offer Maddison a new deal simply by agreeing to all these offers we are getting. We'd have cleared best part of £400k a week already if we'd agreed to them.

Interestingly Castagne and Praet are two players I wouldn’t sell. They wouldn’t be near to top of my for sale list.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That’s what we wanted to do, but so far it hasn’t been forthcoming.

I'd agree but think that is because we are angling for better deals, pretty sure we could have sold a few on the cheap like Praet and Soumare.

We seem to be holding out for prices near what we paid, which suggests we aren't in fire sale territory yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

The Southampton pair dont help 

No they really don't but I'm yet to find a logical explanation that supports what we are being told needs to happen and then what we are doing.

Somethings at play here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I think the reality could well be that we do veer away from ‘the plan’ (if there is a plan) if and only if the bids we get for our better players are big. Like 60m big for Maddison.

I think this could happen because we can’t seem to offload the ‘deadwood’.

If we’d had concrete bids accepted for Amartey, Perez, Vestie etc the club would not need to even contemplate selling the better players.

But we haven’t got rid of them

I doubt that not making a single sale in this transfer window was ever part of any plan.

If Newcastle double his wages madders will be gagging for a move after seeing chillys wage slip.  You are right in that we have hung onto too many poor players and paying their wages...thereby painting ourselves into a corner.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No they really don't but I'm yet to find a logical explanation that supports what we are being told needs to happen and then what we are doing.

Somethings at play here.

I honestly think the board are trying to ease ridgers out.  When we sell madders or fofana the shit will hit the fan when they refuse to let him spend the money. 

• Haha 2

Just now, foxinsocks said:

If Newcastle double his wages madders will be gagging for a move after seeing chillys wage slip.  You are right in that we have hung onto too many poor players and paying their wages...thereby painting ourselves into a corner.

They are not going to pay him £250k a week though. Maddison would want to go if Spurs, Man Utd etc came in but this won't be being pushed by him. Whether we are vulnerable because what we are experiencing with Tielemans and Soyuncu might just see us agree to a fee that's lower than what his actual output warrants. His goals and assists put him as one of the best players in the league that would command a fee near to £100m but £65-70m including add ons might do it.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Somethings at play here.

What's your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Somethings at play here.

I wonder if we'll sell a couple of fringe players then loan out those with a year left, let the loan club pay a percentage of wages before bringing in a couple of replacement loans  and reassess next year with players guaranteed to go. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Which says to me we aren't in as much trouble as some think.

Still think selling an asset like Nacho makes sense, having 3 good strikers is a luxury for a club of our size. 

It's the only logical assumption, I think we have ultimate faith in the nucleus of the squad and view stability and continuity right now as worth way more than trying to change out squad up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I wonder if we'll sell a couple of fringe players then loan out those with a year left, let the loan club pay a percentage of wages before bringing in a couple of replacement loans  and reassess next year with players guaranteed to go. 

That's may take, a health shake up is much easier next summer with 7 or 8 out of contract, a little like Palace did. 

This summer maybe just about bide your time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

It only took Newcastle 1 January window to almost catch us up. They only finished 3 points behind us. 

And despite us finishing 8th, the gap between us and 14th place Aston Villa was eight points. 

Newcastle don’t have a good enough squad to compete with top four yet, but in a couple of years time they might have, we all know it’s coming.

The fact is, especially for this upcoming season, we’ll be more than likely challenging with about 8 teams for one European spot. 

For a club like ourselves, it’s just so hard to maintain that consistency of challenging for the top six, that would instantly give us more of an attraction. You start to slip away from that pack, then our best players are going to be linked with moves away, and inevitably they’ll end up leaving to play Champions or Europa League football. 

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

And despite us finishing 8th, the gap between us and 14th place Aston Villa was eight points. 

Newcastle don’t have a good enough squad to compete with top four yet, but in a couple of years time they might have, we all know it’s coming.

The fact is, especially for this upcoming season, we’ll be more than likely challenging with about 8 teams for one European spot. 

For a club like ourselves, it’s just so hard to maintain that consistency of challenging for the top six, that would instantly give us more of an attraction. You start to slip away from that pack, then our best players are going to be linked with moves away, and inevitably they’ll end up leaving to play Champions or Europa League football. 

This is pretty much how I see it. I don’t think there’s any problem in assuming that Newcastle, for instance, could finish above us THIS season. 
Add Villa, West Ham, possibly even Palace could do ok this term. They’ve all strengthened. Compared to a couple of seasons ago, Palace look much better than they were.

Itll be the top six followed by the rest scrabbling for 7th place I think. For the next few years I’m thinking 

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Thinking about Newcastle and their Saudi backers, they want some likable faces in their squad and considering Maddison gives great interviews he would be used as a counter against the image that everyone associates with Newcastle/Saudi

They could sign Jesus Christ himself and it wouldn’t change a thing mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

They could sign Jesus Christ himself and it wouldn’t change a thing mate. 

He'd just be a bench warmer by the time they sign Mohammad anyway.

• Haha 2

Just because they have loads of money now doesn’t mean they will get anywhere with it . No one is going to choose them if it’s a choice between them Arsenal Man Utd Man City Liverpool or even Spurs . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Just because they have loads of money now doesn’t mean they will get anywhere with it . No one is going to choose them if it’s a choice between them Arsenal Man Utd Man City Liverpool or even Spurs . 

Yes, no player ever goes where the biggest paycheck is.

Just now, Deeg67 said:

Yes, no player ever goes where the biggest paycheck is.

Newcastle could offer 200k a week and one of the others 150 k a week and European football I think 9 times out of ten they take 150 and Europe 

2 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Newcastle could offer 200k a week and one of the others 150 k a week and European football I think 9 times out of ten they take 150 and Europe 

I don't, but even if that were true, what about when it's 200K a week vs all the clubs that aren't offering 150 and Europe but 100 and hope?

Newcastle doesn't have to outshine the big six as an attraction yet.  If they distance themselves from everyone else they'll become the biggest threat to the big six, play in Europa, and eventually break through.  Once they're a fixture in the top 8 no one will care that it's blood money - and every year one or two of the traditional powers will have off seasons and create opportunities.  The big six wasn't always the big six - some of them had to storm the gates to get in.  Maybe Newcastle will manage it and maybe they won't, but having basically unlimited funds means it would be dumb to bet against them.

• Sad 1